1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Officer involved shooting in Brooklyn Center

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Gabe0941, Apr 11, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Maybe she has not been in the field in a while or scary black man is a real phobia.

Just shows the level of fear cops have that causing these "mistakes" or overreaction.

That's not an excuse, just to show how some of these cops need to maybe find another job.

DVauthrin, edwardc and Reeko like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know. Haven't seen it reported yet either.

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm trying to remember but a couple of years ago wasn't there another case in either TX or OK where an older guy who was a local donor to the PD allowed to be a deputy and also mistakenly shot someone? I think it was also a situation where he mixed up his firearm with the taser.

edwardc and jiggyfly like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This has nothing to do with what I said, I was born in oakland and my mother was a activist in the 60's so I know the violence that occured.

Who said the only protests was peaceful ones?

Why don't you actually respond to what I said?

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://www.wsj.com/articles/police-video-shows-deadly-shooting-of-black-suspect-in-tulsa-1428913303

He got 4 years.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/04/27/us/tulsa-deputy-manslaughter-trial/index.html

joshuaao and rocketsjudoka like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

edwardc likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...pired-plates-driving-while-black-may-n1263878

The man, Daunte Wright, 20, who died Sunday after a run-in with police in a suburb of Minneapolis, was driving an SUV with expired license plates, and he also ran afoul of a Minnesota law that prohibits motorists from hanging air fresheners and other items from their rearview mirrors.

"He was pulled over for having an expired registration on the vehicle," Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon said Monday. "When the officer went over, an item hanging from the rearview mirror was spotted."

It was after that, Gannon said, that the officers discovered that a "gross misdemeanor warrant" for Wright's arrest had been issued.

joshuaao and tinman like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Brooklyn Center city manager fired after call for due process for police officer

Brooklyn Center City Manager Curt Boganey was fired on Monday evening, hours after he publicly disagreed with Mayor Mike Elliott’s assertion that the police officer who fatally shot a Black man in the Minneapolis suburb should be immediately fired in response to the incident.

"Effective immediately our city manager has been relieved of his duties, and the deputy city manager will be assuming his duties moving forward," Elliott wrote on Twitter. "I will continue to work my hardest to ensure good leadership at all levels of our city government."

Boganey was fired shortly after the Brooklyn Center city council voted to give the mayor command authority over the city’s police department.

Both Elliott and Boganey addressed potential disciplinary action toward the officer during a press conference earlier in the day. At the time, Elliott called for the officer to be fired.

"Let me be very clear – my position is that we cannot afford to make mistakes that lead to the loss of life of other people in our profession," Elliott said. "I do fully support releasing the officer of her duties."

Before leaving the podium, Elliott noted that Boganey, as city manager, had the authority to determine whether the officer would be fired. Boganey noted that he would not take immediate action to remove the officer.

"All employees working for the city of Brooklyn Center are entitled to due process with respect to discipline," Boganey said. "This employee will receive due process and that’s really all that I can say today."

When pressed on whether he personally felt the officer should be fired, Boganey again called for due process.

"If I were to answer that question, I'd be contradicting what I said a moment ago -- which is to say that all employees are entitled to due process and after that due process, discipline will be determined," Boganey said. "If I were to say anything else, I would actually be contradicting the idea of due process."

10. HardenVolumeOne

delete

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Anyone here who’s handled a glock will know what I fells like compared to a taser.

a loaded glock with 16 rounds is significantly heavier than a ****ing taser.

you have to be ****ing stupid to confuse the two. About as stupid as walking into the wrong apartment.

this may be manslaughter but damnit if it can’t be used as a loophole for cops that intend to kill suspects.
    Btw this suspect did everything he could to get shot. If he happens to have an officer in front of his car while he tries to escape I’m all for emptying a clip on him.

tinman and B-Bob like this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'm definitely not an expert on guns, but don't they also...look different?

If you have less than a second to make a decision on reaching for a firearm, aiming it and firing it, I totally would understand confusion on what gun it actually is. But it doesn't sound like the officer's life was in any danger - to me, there was more than enough time to figure out what gun you were holding.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Definitely deserves to get executed. Time to give the cop a promotion.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What more is there to say. The police are ill equip for the job in modern day America. This guy is an idiot but did not deserve to get shot point blank. It cannot be this hard with 3 cops to safely restrain a 160 pound guy who is already out of the car with his hands behind his back. I don’t think cops get that sometimes the job is to protect people from themselves when they are in a low point in their lives.

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Isn't this what happened at Fruitvale Station, then a movie was made about it with Micheal B Jordan? Sorry for grunching the thread. Police brutality/ incompetence stories just all mush together in my brain nowadays.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This has to be the worst name for a city ever
    Sounds like an arena they built for the Nets before they got corporate sponsored
    @rocketsjudoka
    @Space Ghost
    at least in Texas
    We got cities that sound like they belong in the state like
    Laredo
    And
    Driftwood
    And
    El Paso
    And Boca Chica

Kim and J.R. like this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First time I saw this thread
    I was like
    I hope Harden and KD are ok
    @Reeko

19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

You're being a bit disingenuous here. It's basically one cop trying to restrain a grown adult in a tight space within seconds. The other male cop was on the other side of the car to search through the windows, the female cop offered no physical assistance. Wright's hands were not cuffed and he was complying until he decided to run. This arrest turned physical because of Wright's poor decision. Unfortunately, he paid the price for it.

joshuaao likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't really know much about Brooklyn Center's governance or the relationship between the Mayor and the City Manager but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a union contract in place that prevents firing an LEO without some sort of hearing process.

I did see on local news that the Brooklyn City Council has voted to put control of the PD to the Mayor.