1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Offical] Astros vs. Red Sox ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Elienator

Elienator Member

Our hitters have been hitting basically the same as the regular season. 5 runs a game and 8 hits per game, are within .5 runs and 1 hit of their regular season average. Yes, they've missed some great opportunities with runners on, but given how much better pitching is in short post-season series, you can't really say the hitters aren't hitting. Hitch isn't on the field and overall his decisions haven't been particularly bad.

You are completely correct on the pitching outside of JV (even considering the Sox had the best offense). You have to give credit to the Sox though. The Sox are winning because they've made some key plays defensively, Bradley turned into an MVP at the plate, and they had a few more balls bounce their way. Those things happen in a short series and that's part of baseball.

HstnSprtsFan101 likes this.
  2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

MLB didn't have the opportunity to screw over the Astros vs the Yankees. There was no close play.

lw17 likes this.
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The Red Sox are an incredibly good baseball team. The only reason I'm pissed about where we are is that it would appear to be partly because of things not in our control (umpiring).

I believe JV pitches an epic game today and we go back to Boston with Cole vs a sickly Sale.

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

We will go to Boston with a sick Sale and if we lose to him it will be the bloody sock story all over again. They will be oozing over potential headlines.

lw17 and Sajan like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

"went over"

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  6. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Gary Sheffields' analysis in the post game was spot on. The fans did not reach out to grab the ball. The ball was heading right for the guys chest. What was he supposed to do? Stand there and let it hit him? Move? No of course not, he had a right to catch the ball. Betts' glove was clearly in the stands. What is the point of replay if not to get the call right? Who cares what the call on the field was and whether there is enough evidence to overturn it. Get the call right.

7. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Anyone who believes the call was correct needs their ass whooped.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

But who is assigning Joe West to these games? It's like when Scott Foster was sent to officiate Game 7 of the WCF(not to mention Game 1 along with Tony Brothers). Sure, Foster is a horrible, corrupt referee, but someone is making the decision to assign him to the game that effectively decided the NBA champion.

Again, I won't go so far as to call the ALCS rigged(I WILL however say that about the Warriors' Game 7 win). But if MLB really cared about the integrity of the game, West would be pulled from the playoffs immediately. If for no other reason than to avoid any further questions of impartiality or accountability.

everyday eddie and lw17 like this.
  9. MystikArkitect

Usually those 50/50 calls go the home team’s way. Even TBS said that Astros fans should feel every call going against them. Not sure how else you can look at it at this point.

If the Correa base step at 2nd had been Boston that would’ve been called an out. They’re getting the benefit of every 50/50 call.

joshuaao and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. Houstunna

Supporting Member

The call was easy and obvious regardless of the ruling on the field.

No way that same play goes against BOS.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

It doesn’t feel like the Astros year this year.

The Sox are catching break after break and half our lineup looks injured.

everyday eddie, lw17 and whiskeyred like this.
  12. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Trying to shake it off but :eek:

lw17 likes this.
  13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

We were screwed over by the umps and Hinch did another poor job.

Also, our hitters wasted way too many opportunities. 2 innings in a row our leadoff guy gets on and then the next 3 hitters go down listlessly 1-2-3. One of those times it was bregs- springer- altuve. Then in the next inning we get the leadoff guy on but he decides to stupidly go for 2nd base and is thrown out. Kemp had a great game aside from that stupid decision.

I think we all knew that coming in bases loaded was too much for McCullers. I just knew he would walk that 1st guy. Why doesnt hinch?

We all knew james was losing it and needed to come out. Left in too long.

Mortons body language was bad. He was definitely not locked in like last year.

The interference call is par for the course with these fat old incompetent umps. We were screwed badly there.

Still, we did not take advantage of opportunities and Boston did. End of story.

14. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Well I thought after winning the WS last year these games wouldn't upset me as much as the past...I think I was wrong. I'm still pissed off about the game last night.

15. lw17

lw17 Member

Alot of Red Sox fans on YouTube fit that description.

Houstunna likes this.
  16. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Come on JV. We officially need you.

tt.jpg

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

First take...they don't even spend time on the call because it's so obvious. Both SAS and Max (Our dear friend) say it was a homerun, easy, they don't even bother to debate it lol.

Houstunna likes this.
  18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

They don't want to alienate MLB. ESPN broadcasts their games. If you're looking for honest commentary, those are the last guys you should ever listen to.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I get what you're saying but basically every sports analyst is saying it was a homerun. I'm just adding Max and SAS to the list.

I also don't think the opinions on a baseball game from two guys on First Take is going to be a future negotiating roadblock between Disney and MLB.

People on ESPN rage against the NFL and how it protects QBs and its other issues and the NFL still deals with them. I don't personally think when TV stations are negotiating deals with these leagues that they care too much what their sports analysts are saying

everyday eddie and Houstunna like this.
  20. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Post some things Hinch did correctly last night.