1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Offical] Astros vs. Red Sox ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 10, 2018.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

I don’t want keuchel on the mound in game 7. I’d start mccullers but I guess I can live or die with it.

2. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Maybe I'm taking crazy pills, but I think Uncle Charlie has a really good game tonight. 7 innings, no runs, McCullers and James close out a 7-0 Astros win.

3. HTown2017Champs

I'm totally on board for going after Goldy. Doubt the DBacks actually trade him, I think if they an unload Greinke and his massive contract they'll avoid the rebuild, but if they're serious about listening to offers then I'd certainly at least kick the tires.
    Agree. It will definitely be all hands on deck, and expect a very short leash for Keuchel, but hopefully we take the next 3 games and put these suckers away. I'd personally do a bullpen game with McCullers opening, I totally agree. I feel confident with him, just have Maldonado catch him in the pen to further familiarize himself with Lance's breaking balls.

4. HTM

HTM Member

I'd be shocked if Morton went that deep into the game. He is not known for his length.

Anyway, I'm not attending the game tonight so maybe there is hope.

No lie, I actually attended the 2007 game where Jennings gave up 11 run in the first inning.

I'm not sure which was worse, that, or last night.

5. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

Keuchel in Game 7 would be lunacy. He was shelled last night and was extremely lucky to not give up several more runs.

Not sure if anyone has seen the Twitter chatter and slow-mo's on the Tony Kemp incredible catch but it looks like it may have actually hit the wall before landing into his glove.

Either way, he was very fortunate to not give up 2 more runs right there and the ball Reddick chased down was also a great run saving catch. Also took numerous incredible defensive plays by Bregman to keep the Sox to 2 runs while Dallas was on the mound. He was flirting with disaster all game long. That he couldn't strike out a single batter in 5 innings tells you how locked in the Sox were on him. He also induced not nearly as many ground balls as he usually gets. There's also the fact this year in Fenway he gave up 9 hits and 5 runs in 6 innings in a start.

You have to have a pitcher with a put away pitch facing a great lineup like that and he has struggled all season against good teams this year and once again got rocked in the first inning.

everyday eddie and Hank McDowell like this.
  6. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

I don't think it's hindsight at all. It was discussed on here when Keuchel was announced as Game 3 starter in ALDS.

Charlie Morton has been a more valuable and better pitcher than Keuchel all season. He's pitched 2 Game 7's for you against LAD and NYY and been absolutely phenomenal in both. He was arguably our most clutch pitcher last season not named Verlander.

everyday eddie likes this.
  7. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I’m optimistic!!

Smacktle and theimpossibles1 like this.
  8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Three games into this series, I think it's pretty obvious that we can't expect to shut them down with pitching. Verlander and Cole had their struggles too.

Chances are DK will be your best option to start G7, unless Morton doesn't go very long tonight (which would probably mean he got shelled). Those hard hit balls that the defense saved were nothing compared to what Smith and Osuna gave up.

9. theimpossibles1

Good news... Your attendance (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with it!

10. SemisolidSnake

I wish Bregman could just give the other players a group lesson on how he does it. It's undeniably successful for both getting walks and hits.

And it's clearly something he figured out on his own. I hope we upgrade our batting coaching next year. The dropoff from last year to this year is too much to not take action.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  11. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Its crazy how deflated everyone is. We are the freaking World Champs. We aren't out of this.....

The Beard and theimpossibles1 like this.
  12. HTM

HTM Member

In any event I'll try this strategy.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  13. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Yes. Like it or not Keuchel is lined up to start G7 if the Astros don’t win the next three. I would imagine his leash would be incredibly short and Uncle Charlie would be the top choice to relieve him on 3 days rest.

14. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I would love to see the Astros make a run at Goldy, but it would be just as amazing to land Kershaw as a free agent. The Astros could obviously do wonders for him in the second half of his career and he’s from Texas too.

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Astros win the next 3.

This cheating controversy will get the team riled up.

whiskeyred likes this.
  16. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Sorry guys, I didn't wear my lucky Astros shirt for games 2 and 3. I'm wearing it now. We got this.

whiskeyred likes this.
  17. Remix

Remix Member

I trust CFM to give us about 5 good innings tonight, just gotta hope this bipolar offense shows up. We all know the story, they lead the league in run differential but throughout the season we've all seen how cold this offense can get. Its feast or fathom with these bats

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

So did we cheat or no?

19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Total feast or fathom, yes.

20. Elienator

Elienator Member

There is no evidence that closers somehow pitch worse in non-save situations:
    https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2...ntality-part-1-closers-in-non-save-situations
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-to-maintain-dominance-in-non-save-situations

There is plenty of evidence that you want to get your best pitchers in the game when they can provide the most leverage. Waiting to only deploy them in save situations means you are not pitching your best pitcher when they can have the most impact:
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/goose-egg-new-save-stat-relief-pitchers/

Osuna was brought in because it was the eighth inning in a one-run game and Hinch wanted his best reliever facing Boston's best hitters. Presley's been better, but he was already used. If anything you could argue Osuna should have been pitching in the sixth as that was a marginally higher leverage situation, but if you expect the Astros to score again at that point you also expect some higher leverage innings later.