1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offense Running Through Josh Smith.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Jan 31, 2015.

1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

He runs it better than any of our point guards.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Nope, never was a hater. Made a post about his low percentages early in the year. If that makes me a hater then what are you with Josh Smith and Dwight?

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Maybe better than Bev.

This isn't just about the fast break though. It's about the half court set too. Also I don't want a guy that shoots 40% from the ft line running the break. Because when he has no one to pass it to, he usually ends up jumping in the air which results in a turnover, or at the free throw line which leaves a lot to be desired.

In the half court set, the offense starts to run through him and continues to do so no matter what happens until Harden just doesn't pass him the ball anymore. I've legit seen sequences of three-four straight possessions that go like this:

Possession 1: Smith gets the ball at the elbow. Notices he's open. Shoots a long two. Brick.

Possession 2: Smith starts leading the fast break. He pushes the ball up, but nothing really comes of it. Whether that be someone else bricking a 3 or Smith turning it over.

Possession 3: Smith gets the ball in the low post. I'm furious at this point and want someone else to have the ball. He takes him man to the hoop and scores though. I'm like alright! Yay!

Possession 4: Smith ends up with the ball in the post area again. This time he bricks it.

This happens legit way too many times. Seemingly every other game this sequence of plays occurs in the late first quarter or sometime during the second quarter. I really want this to stop happening.

The usage for Smith is way too high in the first half.

4. omgTHEpotential

I'm not hating on Smith/Dwight. They obviously are very good players at times. Smith when his shot-selection is good and doesn't make boneheaded moves, and Dwight when his injuries aren't bothering him AND when he's not posting up. Those are the major flaws and I'm simply stating the facts. When they're good, they're really good. When they're bad, they're making this team really bad. If you can't accept these things, then you're a homer. Implying I'm a hater for discussing this? Please.

5. jscmedia

jscmedia Member

So so glad Josh Smith came here. So so glad to see him come off the bench with the head band brigade.

Our house is enjoying the hell out of it.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

They are running plays to him because he can create inside shots and has hit the man in the corner multiple times.

But you exaggerate when you say they always run defer to him

7. anchel

anchel Member

Unefficient, not reliable. Doubt this guy is a championship player...

8. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Once the Rockets get used to playing in practice he will be good.

The idea if him running the offense out of the bench is a great idea.

First we have nobody better.

Second it eliminate his shooting deficiency. When he play off the ball the team will back off him to double or clog the paint, but when he got the ball on his hand the defense is force to stop him and when not, he end up scoring in the paint easy, that strategy is the only reason a guy like Rondo get away with his horrid shooting in the NBA.

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Do you guys still love Josh Smith running the offense?

The amount of turnovers and bad plays as a result of this are overwhelming.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Josh Smith is like Jeremy Lin on offense he is spotty and inconsistent, and way too many turnovers.

DD

11. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

The offense doesn't run through him.

D-Mo gets touches in the same spots as Smith... The difference is that Josh has the ability to actually do something with it around the 3 point line.

When D-Mo gets it near the 3 point line, he moves it from one side to the other. When Josh Smith gets it, he has the choice to try to make something happen.

The problem is, with that ability to drive comes the ability to turn it over...

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

One of our best additions. Not a cancer, not even close

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

That is not even talked about in this thread stop baiting, please try to stick to the topic about Offense running through Smith.

Thanks.

DD

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Exactly. This topic has nothing to do with that.

I'm just not sold on an inefficient "playmaker" (I don't think he is one) receiving such a heavy share of the offensive responsibility.

I'm pretty pissed at Morey for not addressing the playmaker issue.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Josh "runs the offense" about a pretty small percentage of the time. The results are mixed, but the good far outweighs the bad with Smith as a Rocket, so far. The Rockets have far bigger problems than him.

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

JSmith was out of rhythm tonight, probably from the long break.

That's why he was not playing in the 4th. He gets a pass from me. The guy is trying to do his best to hold down the fort while Dwight is out.

Translation: We have no one else. He's our 2nd best ball-handler behind Harden. Let's see what Prigs can give us starting tomorrow night.

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

The problem is that the Rockets' problems are forcing Josh Smith to be a problem due to putting him into bad spots. He shouldn't be as heavily featured on offense as he is.

But because of our imbalanced roster, he is.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We agree.

I can't blame Smith compensating for Morey's unbalanced roster. Realistically, he's probably our 2nd best playmaker. That's on Morey, not Smith, and really an indictment against our roster as a whole.

19. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

dude ignores harden everytime on the fastbreak

harden is the best fastbreak player in the world... smith wont be here next year until he learns to know his role

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I was just gonna bump this to tell everyone who disagreed with this that they were wrong. Thanks.