1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Off-Topic] How does an Astros fan get back into being a Rockets fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I don't HATE sports, I HATE what it's being turned into.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What has hockey turned into?

3. Buck Turgidson

Remember when they made 'em stop putting up confederate flags and nooses at NASCAR? Ruined the "sport"

cmlmel77 likes this.
  4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

You don’t HATE it as much as you profess to or you wouldn’t post multiple times a day

I hate that politics has taken over so many aspects of life

But I love sports and I hate both sides of politics, so neither political side will control my life

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Honestly that’s not fair either

Most NASCAR fans like myself are not racist. It’s possible to not be 100% on one side or the other

Social media has divided our nation so bad

6. Buck Turgidson

Oh I just like making fun of NASCAR on occasion.

And the SEC, but that's about to get either a whole lot harder or a whole lot easier, haven't figured that out yet.

7. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

i think he has you on ignore. Doesn’t like to be challenged apparently

bobrek likes this.
  8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Last year I probably watched the least Rockets games that I have since becoming a fan. I tuned in just to catch KPJ. You’re probably selling him short. He has elite skills. There’s no reason he can’t improve his weaknesses but NBA history is littered with guys who didn’t put in the work. The talent is there though if he does.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I suspect you are correct. He has canceled me

10. msn

msn Member

I do not say that only in retrospect. I watched all through those 100- loss seasons, and they were infinitely better than the previous decade of inescapable mediocrity while the Astros pretended to contend, overpaying for has-beens and missing on nearly every draft (thank God for George).

The Astros blew it up because it was broken system-wide, top to bottom. In those 100-loss years, I followed the minors more than ever, saw what they were building. I saw the first guys hit the bigs, and even though we were losing you could see what was coming. I constantly compared it to the early 90s, watching that team and those young players gel into something special. Ultimately this team accomplished far more, and they're not done yet.

So yeah, the Astros are light years ahead of the Rockets. The Rox have picks, but we will see if the ownership and management are ready to build a contender or to just keep throwing **** against the wall and hope for luck.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  11. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

KPJ is why i watched the games last year. No fun watching a team record losing streak and almost every game a blowout during the streak. Green will get me very interested, Mobley I'll continue my apathy.

12. msn

msn Member

None of my business, but I've discovered that I don't have energy for both what I love and what I hate. So things I don't prefer (or maybe even hate) I don't invest emotional or mental energy talking about them or engaging with them--unless I have any agency to make a difference. I spend my energy on things I love, or things I can influence, and I'm much happier now than I used to be.

Bregatron likes this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Old habits die hard. But it is possible these are the death throes of any entertainment I will get from any sport. But I was always a passionate sports fan and completely eliminating sports is not easy.

I was that rare breed that could support the Cowboys and the Oilers. The Rockets and the Spurs. The Astros and St. Louis. Golf and Tennis. Even the Olympics and Hockey. Now I'm down to One. And it's on thin ice.

14. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

First things first, count your blessings!

At least none of us are Texans fans now amirite?

The rockets and especially our Stros are miles ahead of that garbage org

15. msn

msn Member

If the rox are miles ahead of the Texans, the Astros light years ahead.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Wait until the team is "good" again.

Its a full "two men enter one man leave" Thunderdome situation among the fans right now. Its pretty ugly. First you'd have to choose if you like Jalen Green or Evan Mobley in this draft and then take the subsequent hazing and "you are so stupid" posts AND THEN have to deal with another 1-2 years of losing before its fun for the casual fan again.

So in short - wait until 2025.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Really not sure why anybody would be so confident that X player is a “bust”.

It’s a all risk/no reward scenario as a BBS poster. Takes at least 2-3 years for a player to develop. At the every least, most first round picks are serviceable rotation players if they’re not stars. If they happen to bust, nobody will give 2 ***** when they come back with “I told you so!”. But if they’re superstars from the get-go, you get years of ridicule and nobody ever takes you seriously again.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Boys and their egos. Never understood the need for online vindication. Dudes will seriously wait years to necro bump some dudes comments just to prove their point like dang dude that’s a long time to store that energy.

cmlmel77 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  19. msn

msn Member

Even when (one can hope) the Rockets find their sanity and win me back, I'll probably still be pretty scarce in the GARM. That place isn't very fun even when the Rockets are.

20. Buck Turgidson

Always have been, try to read stuff, try not to post. Weirdos, buncha weirdos, and just too much jibber-jabber.

I liked HeyP's or whoever's idea it was to have a separate invite or qualification only forum for hoops talk. Never happened, but that would get me interested.

Verbal Christ and jim1961 like this.