1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Of the 4 guys, you can only trade for 2 to be a Rocket...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dat Dude, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

I know it's a longshot that this happens at any point over the next year or so, but, hey, it's the offseason. Say DM could trade for 2 of the following 4 players. Which 2 would you choose, what would you give up for them, and why?

1.) Stephen Curry
    --> Guy's a legitimate starting PG who can dish, shoot, and score. The only real knock on him is that he's brittle and gets injured quite a bit. However, when he's on the court, he's lethal and promises to be even better with a better supporting cast. GS has been rumored to have gauged trade interest for him over the past year...

2.) James Harden
    --> Is a 6th Man of the Year Award winner, but could prove to be even more effective if given starters minutes (even though, he plays quite a bit already in OKC as he averaged just over 31 MPG this past season). Is more than likely going to demand a max contract and will get it. Can light it up from anywhere and makes his teammates better just by being on the floor. Shot 41% this past season from 3-point land.

3.) Josh Smith
    --> Athletic freak who can do it all, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Is a game-changer when he wants to be, but has been known to have attitude problems in the past. All-in-all, though, this guy can play multiple positions and can guard multiple positions. Solid player with All-star ability.

4.) Danny Granger
    --> Has proven in the past that he can score 20+ on any given night. Is still only 29 and can be legitimate #1 scoring option. With Paul George emerging for the Pacers, it is possible that Indiana looks to gauge what they could get for Granger on the open market. Would be a solid mentor for some of the younger Rockets and could continue a solid career here in Houston.

2. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Hopefully we could get Harden as a FA. Looks unlikely considering how close-knit he is with the team there.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Neither. We don't need them now. The deal was superstar or bust.

4. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Just wondering, but do you think James Harden has the ability to become a superstar?

5. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

I doubt that any of them can be acquired at a price in accordance with their values. They are all good players best suited as supporting cast. We need a new crop of super stars.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not interested in any of those guys...not interested in tying up money in them...not interested in giving them time on the court to make this team just mediocre enough...play the young guys and let's go.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

At one point, i did. After seeing him disappear in the playoffs, not so much. Still a good player, though and he will get better. Lamb looks to be a better shooter in the future, though.

8. Know Your Role

Granger and Harden. Little bit of a risk with Harden but lots of potential. Danny is pretty solid, not the greatest but solid. Those two would be a nice core to build around. Never happen though.

9. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

EZ... two players who possess defense capabilities.

10. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

If we just wanted to be mediocre and make the playoffs and lose, Granger and Smith.

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

Hypothetically, the only person I would take is Harden.

12. arjun

arjun Member

harden and smith.

big 3 of Lin, Harden, and Smith is a good solid base.

13. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

James Harden, without a doubt. He has the potential to become a superstar if playing in a team other than Thunders, Lakers, or Heat.

Upside:
    - Only 23
    - Great all around scorer
    - Draws a ton of fouls
    - Great outside defender
    - Extremely quick
    - Great at transition both ends

Downside
    - Poor at post defense
    - Average ball handler and passer
    - Max contract

He is one of the most efficienct scorers in the league and the best in isolation efficiency. He is a great athlete and one of the fastest in the '09 draft class.

3 future picks (Raptors, ours, Dallas) + ??

High in efficiency + good defense = winner. Curry and Harden fits that profile. Granger is decent while Josh is a terrible efficient player.

14. wadero

wadero Member

Harden and Smith would be the only two I would trade for . Curry is Brittle and Grainger is Long in the tooth.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

even if we got all 4, could we compete with the heat, lakers, or thunder? probably not.

16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Harden is the only one I'd go after. Dude can draw fouls (like you said) and can FINISH (except in the Finals). Seriously though, if you look up these 2 stats on him last year, he did amazingly well. I'd have to think about what I'd give up for him.....

Granger - I thought the knock on him was that he was that he couldn't be a legit first scoring option.

S. Curry - I'm one of the few, it seems, who actually believes Lin will be a bada$$ for us, so I don't think we need him.

J. Smith - I've asked these questions about J. Smith numerous times & never gotten a single answer: 1) How well can he create his own shot? 2) How often does he draw a double team? If he can't do that, forget about him. I'd rather go after AL JEFFERSON, who does do these two things.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Right. Yes as a competitor you don't concede defeat to your opponents, or why even play the game.

BUT the remaining talent after the top 4 teams, AT BEST it makes you a Denver Nuggets level "balanced" team that "could" be an upset threat.

Its why its been superstar or bust. We don't have a superstar so we're at the BUST. So keep it BUSTED

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

None of them are superstars. Borderline All -Stars at best. They will ensure we are mediocre and eat into our cap space.

19. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Only Harden if we can sign him as free agent(for free!). No trade for any of them. Our picks and rookies at least has the POTENTIAL to be superstars.

20. roxxy

roxxy Member

This whole Harden disappeared in the PO's is so overblown. He did remarkably well in every round but the finals. Russ had like one amazing game, the rest weren't very good from what I remember. Harden is a great player. He is the only one I am interested in.

Agree on Harden, the finals thing is overblown. Agree on Curry. No you aren't one of the few, I am also believe the same. Plus Curry can't stay healthy. The fact that you haven't received an answer about Smith is answer enough.