1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Oden out for season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by KingStevo10, Nov 17, 2010.

1. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

Maybe Oden suffers from Progeria?
    "is an extremely rare genetic condition wherein symptoms resembling aspects of aging are manifested at an early age. The word Progeria comes from the Greek progeros meaning 'prematurely old'."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progeria

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

I stopped reading the article after it said most people with progeria are diagnosed at a young age and tend to be thin and short.

It's a shame about Oden. He seems like a good enough guy who tries hard. Unfortunately, his body doesn't seem to want to cooperate. If Portland doesn't resign him, I hope he finds success and happiness elsewhere(preferably in the Eastern Conference).

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

I feel so bad for him.

No sports player, be it basketball, volleyball, golf, should have to endure an injury that forces them to miss a huge amount of time.

Guy never had a chance; it just isn't fair.

4. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

Feel very bad for the guy, the team

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

@ZachLowe_SI: Blown away that Larry Miller would come out and say the Blazers might offer Oden the $8.9M qualifying offer.

6. sw847

sw847 Member

i feel sorry for the blazers and oden.

now that oden is out for the season, which i doubt he will ever recover to his normal form. Also with roy injured as well. the blazers can't catch a break. Just 2 years ago, this blazers team was among the highest regard young teams in the league and now this. surprising what injuries can do to a franchise and player. all the best to both of them.

7. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

damn, i guess i take back what i said about wanting him as a backup, like deke off the bench. i really hope he recovers, maybe he will pull a grant hill

8. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

brian_chapman falls in faint

9. lalala902102001

Bowie over Jordan; Oden over Durant.

These two will go down as the biggest draft day blunders in history.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Bowie over Jordan isn't really a big deal as MJ wasn't that known at the time, and Bowie was widely regarded as the better player of the two coming into draft time.

Oden over Durant is inexcusable given the fact that the Blazers had medical reports showing his health history, Durant is widely regarded as the better player, and they already had a scoring big man (LMA) and a young defensive center (Pryzbilla) in the fold. Roy, Durant, LMA and Pryz would have been one hell of a lineup.

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

He can always do p*rn..

12. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

He'd be in a full body cast after one shoot.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Jordan was pretty heralded out of college. I think most put considered him one of the top 2 players in the draft.

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Does moneyball discount a player's medical history by overemphasizing a playr's effectiveness while playing?

Morey and Pritchard are the stat geeks of the NBA. Both teams have been hit hard by star players, who put up good numbers in limited games.

15. Steve_Francis_rules

MJ won the Naismith Award his last year in college playing for one of the premier programs in the nation. I'd say he was pretty well known.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Someone wasn't around in 84...

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Jordan also won the Wooden college player of the year award. He was pretty well known during the draft.

Bowie missed 2 whole seasons of college ball with injuries, but was still drafted over Jordan.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Some people are into that. ... Just saying.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

VERY obvious. LOL!

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Be the most absurd waste of money since early adopters bought a catalog of HD-DVDs.