1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Occupy Wallstreet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 2, 2011.

1. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

esteban, please do not threaten me with physical violence! it makes me worry for my safety and well-being on the internet!

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

bump.

2 people like this.
  3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

repped

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If I believed Republican prophecy, I'd guess this would've been Obama's secret mob army.

If only that trickster Hussein revealed his true colors...

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Are people still protesting or is it all done?

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Momentum officially stalled....except in Charlotte, apparently.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'd ask you that in person.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

id rather have a beer with him any day then with you homeboy

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Occupy, Ima dissapoint

But it will always be easier for money to support causes about making more money than it will be for altruistic causes to succeed. Money buys press and representation. It's actually easier for Money when times are harder because people have to eat.

And Occupy was intentionally amorphous and democratic. A laudable goal but human beings tend to follow charismatic leaders. We seem hardwired for kings, super stars and prophets.

Jay-Z knocks Occupy Wall Street
    In a new interview, the legendary rapper says he never threw his support behind the protest movement because he didn’t understand what it stood for.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...z-knocks-occupy-wall-street-article-1.1155236

#2229 Dubious, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  10. Classic

Classic Member

old thread but wasn't sure where else to put this article

I thought it was a good read.

How do we stop the cycle? This is what the movement should have been all about but the MSM, proxies of the .1%ers & corporate elite made it about bums and entitlements.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Outlaw bailouts, guaranteed loans, subisides, quantitative easing

12. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I think the only way is to create radical consumer unions (organizations of citizens who would use mass boycotts to challenge companies at both the local and national level) and to challenge the capitalist status quo.

If the rich and powerful have such a stranglehold on the economic system as it is then the only recourse is to opt out of that economic system and to create a new underground economic reality.

We may not be able to topple the lords of this economic way of life, but maybe we can migrate to a different paradigm right under their noses.

13. bucket

bucket Member

So we could have had a depression instead of a recession?

14. Commodore

Never understood why the left argues that without corporate welfare, the economy would go into depression.

That's an argument you expect to hear from the 1%

15. HamJam

Maybe a depression would have been preferable considering almost all of the growth of the recovery went to the wealthy financial elites who created the problem in the first place.

And if there would have been a depression, perhaps we would of had real change. If people are angry and desperate enough maybe they'll just stop respecting all the private property laws and take the land and institutions that the financial industry claims to own.

What, your foreclosing on my home -- well, actually, my neighbors and I are all so tired of that crap and having people homeless and struggling when so much property is empty, that we are going to have a massive hoard of people refuse any authority who tries to enforce that claim of yours.

What, the factory I work at is being closed -- well, actually, all of us workers are going to bust the chains off the factory and operate it ourselves, sharing the decision making, production and profit amongst ourselves and with those in the community who are working with us to defend our action against the authorities.

What, you expect us to go hungry if we don't take part in your system -- well, many of us were going hungry anyway, and we happen to live in one of the most fertile nations on earth, so our communities are going to go ahead and not respect your fences and deeds and just grow all the food we need.

And this is one of the most well armed people on earth. So, I mean, you can totally try to crush us jackboot style -- but, based on gun sales, that could end up being one heck of an insurrection.

Or we can all go back to the polls and vote for one of the two corporate puppets who have supported, defended and appointed all the people who both caused and profited off the Recession.

16. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Last few posts have done an excellent job summing up how the far left and far right are closer than either side would ever like to admit.

17. HamJam

I agree with you on this. I desperately tried to work with the Libertarians during the Occupy movement, and even with elements of the Tea Party -- but neither they nor those on the Left were having it. Everyone is such a spineless reformist who thinks they can keep begging the powers that be to be better or that one of the two terrible corrupt parties will all the sudden be better.

That said, as much as I think Left and Right Libertarians should really work together more -- you've said you are a fascist. There is a big difference between the libertarian right and the fascistic right.

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You should probably try to understand because it is one of if not the most legitimate threat to our continued existence.

Start here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8HekexIUy8

And for the record, lets not confuse corporations with banks. Two completely different issues.

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Why would anyone wear a gas mask without a filter? I am, btw, QUITE familiar with this model. ;)

20. Commodore

the latter is a subset of the former

and the country fared quite well before corporate welfare, central banking, and fiat currency became pervasive

#2240 Commodore, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014