1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Observations from Tonight's Epic Win

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Oct 30, 2019.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So I decided not to take my kids to the game tonight cause tomorrow is Halloween and they'll be up super late anyway.

Since it was just me I got floor level seats, cheap as hell owing as it's 1) the Wizards and 2) on the night of the WS game 7 (sorry...I did not stay for the postgame "watch party"..). I paid 100 bucks or so for 7th row behind the backboard right by the players tunnel.

On to the observations:

1) Harden and Russ appear to love hanging out together and dancing and such, it's a pure bromance. Also, Harden is constantly barking at his teammates (Clint, a lot) on the bench contrary to popular belief that he puts his hood on and sulks.

2) PJ Tucker earnestly believes he has never committed a foul in his entire life. He truly believes this.

3) Clint still practices his FT's, hard, in pregame, and I got a great pic from my dead battery phone of his glorious 20 foot jumper to open the game.

4) The Rockets bench is pure trash, other than maybe Rivers and the occasional cameo of good Eric Gordon. Chandler looked like ****. Thabo was problematic. I expected a lazy start because the Wizards are horrible team other than Beal, and then gradually separate as Beal sat, I could not have been more wrong, obviously. THeir lineup was ostensibly terrible - Wagner, Brown Jr (?) Isiah Thomas' remains, Bertans, Bongo - like who the **** are these guys? And then they crushed us in the 2nd and 3rd. Props to the Wizards though for making a simply ridiculous amount of corner 3's, what was it, 22-36 or something? That is inhuman. Also Rui Hachamura looked good - and the Japanese ambassador was in attendance, as well as a lot of japanese so that's something. Also a small HK protest right outside the opening gates (DC's chinatown is next to the capital one arena)

5) Road Russ - Russ is his angry russ caricature. He stands alone on the end of the bench and stands and stares outward toward the crowd and psychs himself up during pregame intros for the home team. Also, there was a Road Russ incident tonight with a guy a few seats down from me. Russ was on the bench in the first half, standing up and putting on a long sleeve white Rocket T shirt to keep warm and some guys a few seats from me yelled "Russ your shirts too tight you're having trouble maybe you're fat" or something like that Russ heard, turned around and started jawing back at the guys in our section saying something liek "what you say to me, come on down here" or something like that. The security guy went and stood near Russ. I don't know if TV caught it but it was pretty amusing. The guys trolling him were laughing and kind of scared of getting kicked out. As advertised.

6) Harden cooking - so I saw Harden put up 54 here last year and its just ridiculous when he gets hot like he did in the 3rd period and you see it live. And then I see him put up ****ing 60 here this year. When he gets on a run like that, the crowd even in a visiting arena starts oohing and ahing, like when he puts poor Isaac Bongo on skates. Its great to watch, tell all these ****ers who think Harden is boring to come watch this live.

Also, they did not really run the devastating Harden-Russ screen dribble hand off too much, I was looking for it. I saw one attempt in the first half but Russ opted to hold on to the ball.

7) Defense - the rotations were prettty lousy - they had a few good sequences but woudl just lose focus on too many plays and you get 2 guys guarding air. Again credit to Washington for having an insanely efficient night from 3. Doesn't seem like the focus is there, it's like "meh let's just keep up the pace and outscore them and we'll win". I guess it worked.

8) The end - when they announced the Nats had gone ahead of the Astros 3-2 the crowd roared, obviously, even the Rockets looked up at the Baseball score and were dejected (I think the Wiz also had just retaken the lead at that point). Props to Gordon who was utter butt from periods 2-4 for having that 'whatever, next shot' mentality, and insane hustle by Russ in the closing minutes on every rebound and cut to the basket, as well as the clutch FT. Anyway, it was a lot of fun to be at this game this year and while it was sloppy at times, it was "Are you not entertained" type **** from Harden and Russ, and you know what?

I was.

Edit: Sorry I forgot Harden missed that last FT and only had 59 (on purpose?)

#1 SamFisher, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Relativist, msn, Matt78777 and 65 others like this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I don't believe you...

j/k, thanks for the write up.

-edit-
    forgot to ask... did you hear any defensive calls from MDT? He seemed focus on that end so would be nice to know.

pr0wler, jboslett and Lawlruschang like this.
  3. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

One thing I noticed about Harden tonight. He was very decisive when he drove to the rim.. didn't settle for too many stepback 3s. and once he got to the rim he was insanely crafty like the old 2014 harden. I think this is the best offensive version of Harden what we saw tonight.

Also, so the 2 Capela free throws in the 4th.. the crowd was going insane i thought it was because of Capela.. but it was actually because Washington had taken the lead?

wesbound, bro2044, Riz and 3 others like this.
  4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Everyone looked lost on screens. They tried trapping a few times and wizards got open layups. What up with that, they need to go back and drill their switches

saleem, bj3175 and amaru like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

My observation was that it was better then the astros game.

pr0wler, Surfguy, bro2044 and 8 others like this.
  6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

SamFisher is the biggest WB homer on this board so take everything he says with a grain of saltiness.

SamFisher likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

this would’ve been a great game to watch as a fan in person...bad defense and all

very entertaining, high scoring, Harden almost dropping 60, Beal dropping 46, and the Rockets winning a close one...I would’ve left very satisfied with the experience

seems like u had a really good time OP, that’s great to hear...thanks for the write up

Deuce, B-Bob, FrontRunner and 4 others like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thanks Sam, it is always better live than on TV or the Internet.

Glad you had fun and get those kiddos some candy !!

Hopefully the D will sort itself out....and what you said about PJ, I literally said to my boys tonight.....in the 1st quarter......he acts like he has never fouled anyone......and there are literally pounds of flesh in his mits.....

LOL.

DD

9. leangle25

leangle25 Member

9) Could we get Bertans? hahahah

True Rocket likes this.
  10. DaDakota

Man, I was thinking the same thing a 6'10" guy that can shoot the 3....been BEGGING for that for years!!!!!

DD

bj3175 and jcmoon like this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The Astros game was good for about 5 innings.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And they did it right in front of Ryan Anderson, it was rude.

B-Bob and don grahamleone like this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

All I know was that as soon as the Rockets took the lead late in the 4th...the Stros lost their lead.

Rockets could have afforded to lose this game. Texans sacrificed Watt for the World Series appearance, Rockets had to sacrifice at least a win. The Houston Sports Gods were not appeased.

JeeberD and BigShasta like this.
  15. DaDakota

Well he is only 6'9" so.....

;)

DD

16. HP3

HP3 Member

Im happy with the win and our record and all. But this defense is not gonna cut it man, it looks terrible. Dudes on this team straight up cant stay in front of their man......I hope Turner can ...umm "turn"(yea i said it) this around.

saleem and amaru like this.
  17. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Nice write up, thanks SamFisher.

Our defense needs to improve ASAP or we are going to get our doors blown off when a good team comes knocking

SamFisher, saleem and amaru like this.
  18. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Harden and CP were the same at the beginning, just sayin. I recall CP telling James he never had any help before while blowing out a league rival, probably the happiest I've ever seen CP. They are barely scraping by very bad teams. I think it'll get better though, just don't think this is currently built to win it all.

Relativist likes this.
  19. YallMean

YallMean Member

Great analysis.

Cant take any NBA team that let the Washington Generals put up 158 points in 4 quarters that seriously.

20. leangle25

leangle25 Member

He is so much better at this point of his career compared to Ryan Anderson. And his stroke is so smooth and consistent