1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama's Libya Success = Anti-Homosexual Violence

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hightop, Feb 13, 2012.

1. glynch

glynch Member

True, but there does unfortunately seem to be a subset of Democrats who do support wars and extrajudicial assassinations if it a Democratic president is doing it. Of course, many GOPers generally support this type of stuff whenever given a chance by anyone.

2. glynch

glynch Member

Yes, where have you been? Fox only info gatherer?

3. glynch

glynch Member

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Let's see, the total estimated # of deaths was about 10,000 to 25,000 - given that only a small fraction of these casualties were caused by airstrikes (most of the fighting was on the ground) and that the US only flew a small number of these sorties in the air war - please let me know how you have extrapolated that out to be "hundreds of thousands"?

Edit; More info
    So...64-1108. Divided by the number caused by the US (probably half, or fewer). Yeah, that's almost hundreds of thousands....

#24 SamFisher, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  5. Major

Major Member

I don't think there's any particular evidence of this as of now. In fact, from my understanding, the real winners in the oil world were European companies.

But it's rare to have a built-in organized rebel force & alternate government for the world to support. Take Syria, as an example. There's an organized protest opposition, but you still need an effective alternate military force to overthrow the opposition and take a leadership role - and that group has to have the support of the people. Without that, you end up being the invader and end up with Iraq.

They absolutely did. Desert Storm and Bush's handling of it consistently polled at ~80% approval ratings. Bush's approval rating shortly after the war peaked at nearly 90%.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

I am pissed we lost an F-15E and more importantly a freaking AMRAAM that was fully intact.

7. glynch

glynch Member

Hey, support Obama; I do too, but no need to support Obama or the Dems right or wrong.

How about a little proximate cause analysis?

When you start a war and displace several million people from paid off homes of many generations and then they have to camp out in 100 degree plus heat and they are old and sick and can't get their medicines because their money is gone and the pharmacies were destroyed, what do you think happens?

When you create an active civil war in which both sides are heavily armed what happens?

How about when you bomb water and sewer systems and than try to boycott replacement parts? What happens to infants and children. Does everyone have the money to buy bottled water?

When you disaband the police force in a country and blow up the infrastructure what tends to happen?

Hey, I don't accept the Rumsfeld/Cheney analysis that only proven deaths (I supposed videotaped ) due directly to bombs dropped by US airplanes or directly from sniper fire, or tank fire from US forces count. BTW those making the reports of the direct kills have strong motivation to undereport the numbers.

#27 glynch, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Ok I stopped reading there. So not only are you overstating the casualties by several hundred orders of magnitude, you apparently don't even know of its chronology (it started over a month before NATO intervened.

You sure you support Obama? You're sounding like a Lyndon LaRouche-bag type.

9. glynch

glynch Member

10. glynch

glynch Member

Sam, are things going ok for you? Having a bad day?

I can understand why you stopped reading so therefore no need for analysis.

Hey if you want to accept the Rumsfeld line, ok. I'm not sure Obama would, though, if you could get him in private.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

I stopped reading because you're just flat out, 100% wrong - you're entitled to your opinion about the Libyan civil war & subsequent NATO Intervention, not your own facts.

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The US in no way started the civil war in Libya.

13. glynch

glynch Member

Sam, you are correct. I thought we were talking about Iraq.:(

It is true. Unlike some of the conservatives I am not entitled to my own facts. I guess I was having a bad day.

If you go back to my initial post about casualties I was talking about Iraq.

As far as Libya goes it is not nearly as clear as Iraq whether the harm done in the war exceeded the good accomplished. Overall I think that it is still a bad precedent for us to get involved in civil wars only when we can materially benefit from them. A slippery slope and too much temptation for the imperialist war monger types.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

we all have off days, but damn...

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Member
    Supporting Member

Now that was funny. Too bad Sam is so lazy and clearly doesn't like to get into things on the bbs. If only he understood complicated issues...

16. False

False Member

Yeah, shame on you for admitting you were mistaken. You don't change horses midstream, especially not on a message board.

In all seriousness though, there is an extreme nearsightedness about the long term casualties of war and economic sanctions. We laud the fall of a dictator we don't like and then forget the the country. Unless they install a regime which is even more antagonistic to the US and then we start caring again. If they install someone we like or keep the oil flowing, then the opposition can starve and be killed in detention for all we care.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

^Perverse yet true. Kinda highlights what we're doing there in the first place. It aint for their freedomz.

18. esteban

esteban Member

Ha ha ha! This thread is full of wins when Barry loving lefties are having a spat then kiss and make up!

19. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Are you mocking the fact that they resolved a disagreement? (exclamation point after every sentence!!!!)