1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama's Health Care Speech

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Sep 9, 2009.

1. glynch

glynch Member

Sadly I predict it will be a wonky bit of mush, more appropriate for a dispassionate law professor (they aren't all like that, though it is a popular safe position). The insurance company CEO's will be pleased. The supporters of health care for all at a decent price will ber left wanting.

Obama is for the public option before he was against it or whatever-- sort of like John Kerry who he is starting to seem more like everyday. I used to think he reminded me more of Bill Clinton, minus the libido.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

as long as he doesnt remind you of any of the Bush's, we should be fine.

3. OddsOn

OddsOn Member

So exactly how many of these speeches do we need to hear? I thought the whole country wanted change and hope?

Americans do not want fascism and that is exactly what Obama and the radical leftist elitist democrats are pushing for.

This isn't about health care reform, it was you can change everything by opening up interstate purchases of policies and get the government out of the health care industry since it is the main cause of high prices.

I love how they like to attempt to diminish the town hall meetings and call out people who are against their radical agendas. But if it were a bunch of leftists doing the protesting it would be hailed as a great example of free speech in America.....what a bunch of hypocrites! :rolleyes:

4. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

You've reached Basso level in ignorance and therefore get:

[​IMG]

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just wondering, what is your definition of Fascism?

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

Stupid...

Stupider...

STUPIDEST!!!

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

He doesn't have one, it is just a talking point he is regurgitating.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Early reports on the speech...

(This is just the first part of a long, long article. If you want to read the rest, follow the attached link.)

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Member

Don't worry glynch, Obama is so much better than Kerry and Gore put together...

But yes, his rhetoric does seem to be getting Kerry-esque at times.

#9 ROXRAN, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  10. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

Does anyone honestly think this speech will make a lick of difference?

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Yes. I remain optimistic that we will get at least decent health care reform.

12. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

Same here. But tonight is huge. He could still blow it, but I have high expectations for the speech and I think they will be met.

13. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

And it's sad to know that a good percentage of the population are so myopic that they want him to fail.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

he has to simplify the rhetoric. if he is going for public support.

a) a public option creates competition. competition drives down prices. you don't have to take the public option

b) no death panels, elderly and family will have option to discuss end of life issues with councelors only if they want

c) no denial of pre existing conditions from government run or private programs. (sidebar) if the the gov't doesn't allow denial of pre existing conditions, why would they have death panels DUHHH

d) caps on cost increases. most of these costs are administrative

e) we will not change your government run medicare that you old fogies love. (old people vote, he has to stress this)

15. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

How will a speech at this point change the minds of the 10 or so senators still needed to pass a useful bill?

16. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

This is a pet cause for me -- one that will be huge and one that I predict we will get easily if we get anything. Who could possibly oppose this?

I would add to this that caps on total lifetime coverage need to be dropped as well.

Regardless of a public option (and, as a supporter of single payer, I don't think a public option goes nearly far enough), penalties/denial/cancellation of coverage for pre-existing conditions and caps on lifetime benefits are immoral and they should be illegal.

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

By changing the minds of their constituents. Duh.

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

10-4 good buddy.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

f) stop emphasizing protecting the uninsured, emphasize how its going to benefit the 250MM that are insured.

g) then spend the rest of your speech on how it benefits the overall economy, how companies can save money and use that money to invest or whatever, the same way republicans talk about lowering taxes

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Snarlin' Arlen tweets...

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/