1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Obama's economy] US GDP shrinks in Q4 2012, despite $165 B Fed stimulus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 30, 2013.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This further highlights the absolutely atrocious job Obama is doing with the economy. Despite an extremely high Fed stimulus, GDP had a stunning drop in Q4 2012 by -$5 B. And on top of this, Obama raised taxes which will ripple through starting this quarter.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100419252

The U.S. economy posted a stunning drop of 0.1 percent in the fourth quarter, defying expectations for slow growth and possibly providing incentive for more Federal Reserve stimulus.

The economy shrank from October through December for the first time since the recession ended, hurt by the biggest cut in defense spending in 40 years, fewer exports and sluggish growth in company stockpiles.

The Commerce Department said Wednesday that the economy contracted at an annual rate of 0.1 percent in the fourth quarter. That's a sharp slowdown from the 3.1 percent growth rate in the July-September quarter.

The surprise contraction could raise fears about the economy's ability to handle tax increases that took effect in January and looming spending cuts.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Fiscal Cliff ring a bell...? Isn't this the type of thing the Confidence Fairy is supposed to fix?

3. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Sit back a relax folks Obama's got this.

4. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Cool, I just read an article about this!

Some potential reasons:

Cut in spending:
    Looming sequestration:
    Lack of inventory due to need to restock from the 4th quarter:
    Hurricane Sandy:
    And optimism:

Well, I quoted half the article. You might as well go read the whole thing. Pause your freak-out and eager finger-pointing, though.

5. bigtexxx

So you think the economy's going great. awesome

6. SamFisher

BT, I think if you compress government spending, you necessarily compress the economy, along the lines of the controversial principle that x -1 < x

7. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Also, if you think a small (0.1%) contraction in the GDP indicates a bad job by Obama, do you think an expansion in the GDP indicates a good job? Surely you must. We've been expanding the GDP constantly since Q3 2009. Every. Single. Quarter. Twice by 4%.

[​IMG]

Or was the economy recovering despite Obama? Yeah, that's probably your position, isn't it? When it contracts slightly, it's his fault, but he gets zero credit when it expands. Yeah, yeah, yeah. That sounds great and logical.

8. bucket

bucket Member

Well, when you cut government spending, GDP goes down by definition. I'm more than ok with trimming the defense budget.

I think we can all agree that a drop in imports is a problem, although maybe it's not entirely surprising given the ongoing economic crisis faced by some of our trading partners.

9. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

October-December were fiscal cliff and Eurozone fear days.

Notwithstanding that both of these problems have not come close to being fixed, at least we're not in the days of Plan B BOHNAGE.

I do remember a certain Texxx who would have been satisfied with a high Dow level and no domestic terror attacks from an Obama admin.---

Notwithstanding the fact that the DJIA is a terrible way to track an economy's progress---

13,960.87 (DJIA)

+6.50%
    Year-to-Date

10. okierock

Well the average for the last 50 years is around +3.5% or better and Obama has only bumped that twice during his Presidency. Yah, your right, YEAH OBAMA! You and all your stimulus(and the debt that goes with it) are still below average. woot.

11. Northside Storm

Yeah, back when the post-war boom was creating China-like GDP growth (and the highest marginal tax rate I might add was 92%).

12. okierock

Nice try. You could change it to the last 30 years and the average is almost unchanged. If you take out the last 5 years it does go up though.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Michelle has bangs y'all!

14. SamFisher

As has been stated, tHe decline in GDP the last quarter was almost entirely due to a decline in government spending - A declien that you fully endorsed and complained repeatedly was necessary.

Here is just one example of you telling us how we need spending cuts to decrease the deficit, of course the fact that you couldn't get them was undoubtedly the fault of the Obama.

Now you get those spending cuts, the deficit decreases, GDP is naturally impacted - as everybody said what happened, but to you, it's all Obama's fault that you got the exact outcome you wanted.

Basically, you pick the conclusion and adapt your belief in the underlying facts to suit whatever is you hope to believe. The refuge of a lazy mind. Do you want a growing economy or do you want lower government spending, which shrinks the economy? YOu can have one, but you can't have both.

1 person likes this.
  15. bigtexxx

I love the liberals and their infinite list of excuses. Like SamFisher's knee-jerk excuse of cutting government spending. During good economic times, other areas of the economy can make up for this. Even in this period of "pedal to the metal stimulus", we're dealing with a sputtering economy. And on top of this, the buffoon in the White House wants to raise taxes. Heaven help us.

16. okierock

I'm not complaining about the GDP. I'm just responding to a poster that tried to make it look like Obama is doing a good job when it comes to GDP when the fact is he is not.

17. Northside Storm

You mean, after the second most catastrophic financial cataclysm caused by Wall Street, long term GDP growth stagnated?

Shocker.

if you want to look at the last 50 years in depth---

[​IMG]

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-25/democratic-presidents-are-better-for-the-economy.html

irony. guess which economic philosophy wins out when Republicans are actually elected in? It is fiscally irresponsible to elect a Republican president even according to Republican logic! Period. The recovery will start kicking in like wildfire as soon as deleveraging kicks out---at about mid-2014 or so. then there will be no gloomy economic stats for our chère patriotic Republicans to celebrate.

#17 Northside Storm, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  18. SamFisher

So - you don't thin it's negative that GDP is shrinking, you just want people to know that Obama is doing a bad job because GDP isn't growing fast enough.

19. Orange

Orange Member

4 more years.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Texx, you can do better than this.

Surely there is some good conservative argument SOMEWHERE you can copy/paste that can't be easily rebuked with facts and 2 minutes of research. My hats off to Samfisher who is always on guard for your BS.

You have to remember your audience here isn't your run of the mill back water, low educated, hillbilly who will believe anything negative about that "colored fellow in the big white house". Seems like most people here are college educated and able to think critically.

Not to mention, your motus operandi, is always the same: Post some baseless or misrepresenting article, blame everything on the president, then retreat by calling counter-arguments as typical excuses. A typical excuse is probably typical because its the truth.

You are like the boy who always endlessly cries wolf. But at this point, I don't even think people care if there really is a wolf, in fact, most probably hope there is one so you lose your sheep and have nothing left to scream about. (BTW if you respond to my post, I'm sure this is the paragraph you will base your next ad hominen attack around, while ignoring the rest).

It's like you are a character.

1 person likes this.