1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obamacare tax collection begins, Democrats try to lie and deny it

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Mar 22, 2014.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The tax collection has begun. The dems are trying to lie to America (again) and say it hasn't. They're trying to fire up the left wing liberal media machine to vigorously defend their lie.

‘LIBERTY TAX’: WHITE HOUSE, MEDIA ATTACK AFTER DRUDGE PAYS OBAMACARE OPT-OUT PENALTY

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...use-Leads-Liberal-Media-In-Matt-Drudge-Attack

A White House aide set off a stampede of liberal media criticism for Internet news pioneer Matt Drudge over Obamacare – but his critics don't seem to understand how small businesses pay taxes.
    The brouhaha started when Drudge tweeted, “Just paid the Obamacare penalty for not 'getting covered'... I'M CALLING IT A LIBERTY TAX.”
    Jesse Lee, the Director of Progressive Media at Barack Obama's White House, responded that that was a “Flat lie, no fee for previous year,” adding, “Scary how much influence he once had.”

Lee’s response to Drudge set off a firestorm in the liberal media, with many mainstream media and left-wing reporters countering him on Twitter and in their own articles to claim he does not have to pay Obamacare’s Individual Mandate tax until next year. The individual mandate went into effect Jan. 1 of this year, and most people paying their taxes right now are paying taxes for 2013.

“Dude, there's no penalty until next yr,” Sahil Kapur of the leftwing Talking Points Memo tweeted.
    Kapur’s colleague at TPM Dylan Scott wrote a full story with a headline alleging Drudge was “probably lying.”
    “Americans don't pay a penalty for not having health insurance until they file their 2014 taxes -- in 2015,” Scott wrote. “So either Drudge is lying or he paid a huge penalty a year earlier than he needed to.”
    “Penalty isn't collected until 2015,” Sam Baker of National Journal tweeted at Drudge.

The Huffington Post’s Jeffrey Young wrote a full article in which he described Drudge’s tweet as “weird” and a “little head-scratching” because the Obamacare tax does not kick in until the 2014 tax year.
    Drudge indicated in his followup tweets that since he is self-employed as the proprietor of The Drudge Report, he files as a small business. According to the IRS’s website for self-employed individuals, they are required to pay taxes quarterly.

“As a self-employed individual, generally you are required to file an annual return and pay estimated tax quarterly,” the IRS website reads.
    So, when they file and pay those 2014 first quarter taxes, such individuals have to pay the Obamacare Individual Mandate tax if they opted to not have health insurance—like Drudge just did.
    Additionally, the IRS form (1040-ES) for estimating quarterly taxes specifically recommends adding the mandate penalty to line 12 for "other taxes" -- to pay before the first quarterly deadline of April 15.
    “It is true that thousands of small businesses will be forced to pay Obamacare taxes quarterly in 2014,” a Senate Budget Committee aide told Breitbart News on Friday afternoon.
    Drudge even indicated as much in followup tweets, but the left-wing reporters—and the White House—have left their criticisms of him intact.
    “Dazed team Obama media reporters think Opt-Out tax 'year away’?” Drudge tweeted. “Not for small businesses that file Qtr estimates. We're there NOW, baby #pay.”

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

quarterly projected taxes?

this is just a piece of the puzzle.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why would he opt not to have health insurance to begin with?

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Josh Marshall at TPM is positively b****slapping Drudge over this.

Pure comedy

"There's just one problem: Americans don't pay a penalty for not having health insurance until they file their 2014 taxes -- in 2015. So either Drudge is lying or he paid a huge penalty a year earlier than he needed to."

5. mc mark

Oh and Drudge, that whole "small businesses being forced to pay Obamacare taxes quarterly in 2014?”

If Drudge was referring to the employer mandate, it only applies to companies with more than 50 employees. They must cover a certain percentage of their employees or pay a penalty.

But companies with less than 100 employees are exempt from any penalty until 2016. Drudge has never revealed the full extent of his staff, but the Huffington Post characterized it as "small" in a 2012 article about two new hires.

Drudge has not responded to TPM's follow-up attempts for comment.

6. Steve_Francis_rules

You clearly didn't even look at the article in the OP, so let me just highlight for you the relevant few sentences:

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

He's self employed, so the individual mandate applies to him (unlike the corporations Obama granted an exemption to by executive decree).

And he has to file quarterly, so the penalty applies to him this quarter.

8. mc mark

How many employees does Drudge have?

If Drudge pays estimated income taxes every quarter -- a common practice for someone who is self-employed or is the sole proprietor of a business -- he could have guesstimated what his penalty will be and added that amount to the check he apparently cut to the IRS on Friday.

"That's perplexing," said Brian Haile, the senior vice president for health-care policy at Jackson Hewitt Tax Service, a tax-preparation company. The IRS has no mechanism in place yet to even accept individual mandate penalties and hasn't even published the tables taxpayers will use to work out how much they owe. Plus, any money sent in can't be earmarked especially for that, he explained. The IRS didn't respond to a request for additional information about collecting mandate penalties. Drudge didn't respond to an email asking him to elaborate on his tweet.

"For whatever reason, Matt Drudge has decided to give the government an interest-free loan," Haile said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/21/matt-drudge-obamacare_n_5009496.html?1395436774

9. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I am self employed and do not pay taxes quarterly. It is optional.

10. mc mark

Like the OP, Drudge is a liar looking for a headline.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Clown show putting in work on a Saturday. I'm impressed.

12. Commodore

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf

Page 3, first quarter payments are due April 15, 2014

Page 5, Line 12, estimate other taxes expected to owe. Obamacare mandate is a tax as ruled by the Supreme Court.

13. white lightning

It is optional.

14. Commodore

where does it say that?

15. white lightning

My accountant of the last 15 years says that.

16. mc mark

So it's looking like Drudge cut a check to the IRS so he could write a headline. And of course the crazies swallow it whole.

How cute; Matt having his own little tea party rebellion.

LIBERTY TAX!!!!

[​IMG]

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Either pay the tax or you should give up your right to go to the ER.

Still cracks me up that the party of personal responsibility who proclaims to hate the government handout folks is 100% behind forcing private businesses to give away services for free to those who refuse to buy insurance."

18. white lightning

It's like when I pay my property taxes I could write:

I just paid my Urban Renewal Tax. I just paid my Public School Tax. I just paid my Library Tax, etc.

19. rudan

rudan Member

Yeah, I do that already. I always think that I'm paying for one welfare kid to go to public school. They should have an adoption program to where you see how your donation helps a kid go to school for free. I bet the kid I adopted has like 3 kids out of wedlock already :mad:

20. Classic

Classic Member

He should buy insurance.