1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obamacare:Largest Drop in Uninsured in 4 Decades

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Mar 17, 2015.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks Obama

Data on Health Law Shows Largest Drop in Uninsured in 4 Decades, the U.S. Says

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration said on Monday that 16.4 million uninsured people had gained health coverage since major provisions of the Affordable Care Act began to take effect in 2010, driving the largest reduction in the number of uninsured in about 40 years.

Since the first open enrollment period began in October 2013, the officials said, the proportion of adults lacking insurance has dropped to 13.2 percent, from 20.3 percent.

Sylvia Mathews Burwell, the secretary of health and human services, said the data revealed “the largest reduction in the uninsured in four decades.” Many people gained coverage after the creation of Medicare and Medicaid in 1965.

White House officials said the figures disproved the charges leveled by some Republicans opposed to the law, including governors who have declined to expand their Medicaid programs.

Polls show that public opinion on the health care law is still deeply divided, and its future could be an issue in next year’s elections. Richard G. Frank, an assistant secretary of health and human services, said the new data showed that “the Affordable Care Act is working.”

Officials said they were publishing the figures to demonstrate its progress on the fifth anniversary of the law, which President Obama signed on March 23, 2010.

Since October 2013, Mr. Frank said, 14.1 million uninsured people ages 18 to 64 have gained insurance. In addition, he said, 2.3 million young adults were covered from 2010 to October 2013 because they were allowed to remain on their parents’ health plans until the age of 26 under a provision of the law.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/17/u...BXDg50u2alhlk4stoFBhGGqgw&_hsmi=16570916&_r=1

2. rudan

rudan Member

They fine you if you don't have it, obviously enrollment would increase based on that. My rAtes have doubled in the past year. Thanks obama.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

wow, if you force people to do something, more people will do it?

impressive

4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I have a far worse plan now.. and I have to pay about $60 more a month

Land of the free! Tax/fine me for simply being alive!!

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Because of Obamacare, I was able to switch insurance companies, get better coverage, and now I pay half as much. Thanks, Obama!

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

Amazing. I didn't know fining people would have such a huge impact.:rolleyes:

7. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Because of Obamacare, my premiums stopped going up at a ridiculous rate and I am no longer exempt from insurance due to my "pre-existing condition."

Thanks Obama!

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Great news. The more people insured, the better it is for America.

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Don't blame that on Obama. Blame your ****ty gov who refused to implement the program. States that implemented the law are doing great!

And your rate increase? You can also blame your ****ty job.

10. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

My employer sponsored family plan has $2600 deductible and I pay $720 premium every month. Two years ago my deductible was $300 with a $300 premium. I guess I should thank Obama too.

Nothing new here, middle class has to pay for poor folks' health care and feed insurance companies at the same time.

11. gifford1967

Supporting Member

Sucks for you. Luckily for most people health insurance premiums are rising more slowly than they have in decades.

Obamacare’s projected cost falls due to lower premiums under health care law, CBO says

By Max Ehrenfreund March 9

The estimated cost of President Obama's signature health care law is continuing to fall.

The Congressional Budget Office announced on Monday that the Affordable Care Act will cost $142 billion, or 11 percent, less over the next 10 years, compared to what the agency had projected in January.

The nonpartisan agency said the Affordable Care Act will cost less for two essential reasons. The first, and most significant, is that health insurance premiums are rising more slowly, and thus requires less of a government subsidy.

In addition, slightly fewer people are now expected to sign up for Medicaid and for subsidized insurance under the law's marketplaces. That's because the agency now says that more people than anticipated already had health insurance before the law took effect, and fewer companies than anticipated are canceling coverage. All in all, three million fewer people are expected to sign up for Affordable Care Act provisions by 2025.

Still, by 2025, the CBO estimates "the total number of people who will be uninsured ... is now expected to be smaller than previously projected," because more will have had health insurance to begin with.

In revising their estimates, the agency noted two trends.

The first is the relatively modest increase in how much private insurance companies spend on their policyholders' health care. Between 1998 and 2005, spending on health care increased by an average of 5 percent per year, adjusting for inflation and demographics. That figure fell to 1.8 percent per year for the period from 2006 to 2013, the latest year for which data are available.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...eive-coverage-under-health-care-law-cbo-says/

12. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

A program that is spending $2 trillion over the next 10 years should increase the number of insured citizens. This enormous growth in government will blow a huge hole in the budget for decades to come.

The return on investment is atrocious here, and we all know that this program is designed primarily to increase the government's influence. Obama and his policy makers could care less about whether new insureds have coverage -- you've seen from Gruber how they think of the American citizenry as being stupid.

13. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

They must be reading your posts...

14. gifford1967

Supporting Member

tj, so glad you've decided to return. I'm sure you're going to support this post with a report from the CBO, or some other non-wingnut source. Then we can move on to how Obamacare has been a job killer.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Reported this post to the the SE Texas death panel committee.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This thread is Obamacare in a nutshell.

People commenting on without understanding it. Blaming it for things that it didn't cause, giving it credit for things it didn't help, misunderstanding why some stats are doing better than others, some people doing better, others complaining because they are worse off...

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

All I know is that Obama is a mulsim. In Islam, they kill old people with death panels, hence why Obama care has so many death panels. Also, Islam states that you should burden your fellow man as much as you can with healthcare costs and inefficiencies.

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

Where's your proof of any of your statement .

19. Remii

Remii Member

No, no, no... That's Obama's fault too.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I love obamacare anecdotes. What a convenience that all right wing nuts have negative experiences with obamacare.