1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wesnesked, Feb 26, 2009.

1. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

I guess all those who bought guns after the election where on to something...

LINK

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.

Wednesday Attorney General Eric Holder said that the Obama administration will seek to reinstitute the assault weapons ban which expired in 2004 during the Bush administration.
    As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."

At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.

"I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts," he said.

Holder declined to offer any time frame for the reimplementation of the assault weapons ban, however.

"It's something, as I said, that the president talked about during the campaign," he said. "There are obviously a number of things that are -- that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so, I'm not sure exactly what the

In a brief interview with ABC News, Wayne LaPierre, president of the National Rifle Association, said, "I think there are a lot of Democrats on Capitol Hill cringing at Eric Holder's comments right now."

During his confirmation hearing, Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee about other gun control measures the Obama administration may consider.

"I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller," Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court ruling in Washington, D.C. v. Heller, which asserted the Second Amendment as an individual's right to own a weapon.

The Assault Weapons Ban signed into law by President Clinton in 1994 banned 19 types of semi-automatic military-style guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds.

"A semi-automatic is a quintessential self-defense firearm owned by American citizens in this country," LaPierre said. "I think it is clearly covered under Heller and it's clearly, I think, protected by the Constitution."

I think this whole Mexico violence thing is just an excuse to push his agenda. Assault rifles are really expensive and really not that easy to get. If the cartels have them, I doubt they are getting them from the US. Obama is playing with fire here...people like their gun rights!

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not true - that's exactly where they're getting them from:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/us/26borders.html?hp

3. stanleykurtz

stanleykurtz Member

I have no problem with an assault weapon ban. The founding fathers could have never envisioned the problems created when a man tries to defend his urban dwelling with an AK74.

Now, try to take away my shotgun, and we have a problem. ;)

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the Mexico thing is a convenient excuse, but it's also completely true. And, I want us to do something to help Mexico with their fight.

I also think that these kinds of bans are unconstitutional. The gun right wasn't put there only for home defense or hunting. There was a conscious thought about the possible necessity of using guns to fight the government, kill soldiers, etc. It's a freedom I'd rather not have, but I'd prefer a constitutional amendment over passing unconstitutional laws.

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

We should talk them into legalizing guns. That would help. It's the major reason El Paso is 100-times safer than Juarez.

6. Major

Major Member

I don't understand the Constitutionality argument. You have a long spectrum of "arms":

Bow & Arrow
    Handgun
    Rifle
    Semi-assault weapon
    Assault Weapon
    Missile
    Nuke

And tons in between. Where does the Constitution draw the line? There's nothing in the 2nd Amendment to suggest a dividing line - it seems either all or none of these would be prohibited if you use a strict reading of the Constitution.

If an assault-weapons ban is unconstitutional, preventing someone from owning a nuke should be as well, no?

7. Major

Major Member

Either that, or the fact that the Mexican police forces there are corrupt / bribed and the Mexican government is unable to do anything about it, whereas the US has a much more stable and credible law enforcement system.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Another brilliant move by the Obama administration.

For the record, I'm in favor of such a ban, but the policy is not as important as the politics. This will eat up time on talk radio as the wingnuts go berserk over the notion that this might happen. Conveniently forgetting the actions of W's administration, there will be harried cries of Nazism and totalitarianism. In the meantime, Obama pushes his major initiatives through. By making feints towards the red meat of the modern Conservative party and creating the inevitable reactions, Obama further illustrates (with their unwitting complicity) how out of touch they really are. Obama's changing the nation while Repubs are fussing about peripheral issues.

I can't think of a major politician in our history who has been so blessed by the ridiculousness of his opponents.

9. stanleykurtz

stanleykurtz Member

You are kind of painting with a broad brush, no?

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Cop-killer bullets - OK WTF is a cop killer bullet?

Assault weapon - assault weapons are already illegal. Call it a semi-auto rifle ban.

gun show loophole - there is no loophole at gun shows. This law would create a loophole.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Probably armor piercing,etc.

12. Bandwagoner

13. Bandwagoner

AP ammo is already illegal. Try again.

14. DonnyMost

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

One that is shot at a cop.

16. Bandwagoner

Oh OK. AP ammo has been illegal for a long time. Cop killer bullets are total BS term like assault weapon ban and "loophole" :)

17. DonnyMost

Apparently not, check my link.

18. Bandwagoner

Excellent link!

Those types of bullets are not designed to break through armor. They are made to save barrel life. They have been replaced by moly-coated bullets.

You see when a bullet hits something, the coating has no effect because the bullet is made of lead, it deforms and the coating on it matters not.

19. DonnyMost

I'm more concerned about the legal strength/effeciveness of the actual AP ammo ban.

20. Bandwagoner

why? because of all the cops shot with AP handgun ammo and died?