1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama to deny FEMA funds to states that deny man-made climate change

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tallanvor, Mar 23, 2015.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/nation_world/20150322_FEMA_to_deny_funds_to_warming_deniers.html

A very obvious '**** You' to Obama. He takes your money then demands you say you believe what he believes if you want it back. Total freedom.

2. Faust

Faust Member

aren't their really smart people like most scientists who say climate change is legit? notice i didnt see believe. people like to talk about this stuff like they know it so well but you never hear people talk about how to make better guns, better computers, better internet because they leave it to the experts.

3. tallanvor

lots of experts disagree with man-made climate change (John Coleman for example).

Also its irrelevant what 'top men' believe. It wouldn't make Obama's action moral. It's incredibly immoral.

4. Faust

Faust Member

i dont mean the number of experts who disagree. i mean the percentage. if over 85% of military experts say using uranium depleted ammo is safe and effective that's good enough for me. you can show me 1000 people who disagree with something, but that's jack compared to 9000 who say the opposite.

if over 75% of scientists say our existense as a a species is threatened because of man-made and natural climate change and that there ain't no other planet we can all move to you betch your ass we need to think about it. who gives a rat's ass if it costs us $10-20 trilion dollars to fix climate change if we're gonna be dead if we don't fix it? the world made $100 trillion last year so it aint about not us affording it. we're just being cheap. also i think over 75% of climate scientists say climate change is legit.

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Need more facts.

But it makes perfect sense. Why waste the money on backward states that refuse to accept reality.

6. tallanvor

And what percentage are you claiming believe in man-made climate change? 97%?

Again it's meaningless. Its a simple question Faust. Do you think its appropriate for Obama to deny FEMA funds to a state because they don't share his belief on man-made climate change?

#6 tallanvor, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Sounds good. If you don't have a plan in place to mitigate the hazards caused by changing weather patterns then you're just wasting tax payer dollars.

8. Major

Major Member

Why would you give disaster preparedness funds to states that aren't properly preparing for disasters? :confused: It seems like you're in favor of wasteful government.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It seems a little tiresome to assume that entire states' populaces, legislative or executive branches, or their public safety departments coordinate or formally express fully act upon specific views on global warming. The recommended procedures or policies are probably clearly defined, I suspect there would be limited incentive or inclination for emergency response boards to refuse to formulate them or turn down the related funding. This is like wrestling fans believing face and heel feuds, when in real life they rehearse everything beforehand and probably split hotel and cab fare.

10. Major

Major Member

It's not "his" belief - it's science. Would you give earthquake preparedness funds to a state that doesn't prepare for earthquakes because they don't believe they exist?

11. CometsWin

I think tallanvor just saw Obama's name and flipped out without really considering what he should be flipped out about. Wait until he hears about the FEMA re-education camp revision. Hooooboy.

Thanks, Obama.

12. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

If you believe a computer model can predict the earth's future climate decades in advance, then global warming is for you. Half of the time, computers can't predict tomorrow's weather.

Global warming is science alright -- political science. This is a scheme to raise taxes and redistribute power.

13. Faust

Faust Member

http://grist.org/climate-energy/we-cant-even-predict-the-weather-next-week/

Objection: Scientists can’t even predict the weather next week, so why should we believe what some climate model tells us about 100 years from now?

Answer: Climate and weather are very different things, and the level of predictability is comparably different.

Climate is defined as weather averaged over a period of time — generally around 30 years. This averaging smooths out the random and unpredictable behaviour of weather. Think of it as the difference between trying to predict the height of the fifth wave from now versus predicting the height of tomorrow’s high tide. The former is a challenge — to which your salty, wet sneakers will bear witness — but the latter is routine and reliable.

This is not to say it’s easy to predict climate changes. But seizing on meteorologists’ failures to cast doubt on a climate model’s 100-year projection is an argument of ignorance.

my weather app is usually pretty right about rain, clouds, fog, highs and lows, etc. also the computers these guys are use are pretty fast and very different from your macintosh laptop.

1 person likes this.
  14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Oh look, another denier (like Ted Cruz and tallanvor, where's texxx?) that has made himself irrelevant in the discussion and should be laughed at and scorned with derision.

the debate is over

15. CometsWin

Low information voters such as yourself just don't understand the difference between climate and weather.

Ah damn, Faust beat me to the punch. Lol +1

16. tallanvor

[​IMG]

17. Faust

Faust Member

if im a potus and a state says it wants millions or billions of dollars for a program where victims of mass shooters get aid but the state dont believe in the 2nd amendment or how guns even work, then i'll be damned if i dont give them the money. govt money shouldn't be wasted on stupidity and ignorance and arrogance.

fema funds are used if an area is flooded. we know the seas be rising but if a state says it ain;'t happening then that's like the idiots who didn't get on noah's ark even though he said the flood was coming.

18. Faust

Faust Member

you got a source for that fancy graph amigo?

19. tallanvor

20. tallanvor

I don;t even know what your statement means, but i think the answer to your quandary is not to take the money in the first place. Or even better yet, let the states appropriate their own funds.