1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama to cut medical benefits for active, retired military, not union workers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JD88, Nov 12, 2012.

1. JD88

JD88 Member

Sorry for the bad formatting. On my phone.

http://www.examiner.com/article/oba...for-active-retired-military-not-union-workers

In an effort to cut defense spending, the Obama Administration plans to cut health benefits for active duty and retired military personnel and their families while not touching the benefits enjoyed by unionized civilian defense workers.The move, congressional aides suggested, is to force those individuals into*Obamacare, Bill Gertz reported at the*Washington Beacon.Gertz added:The proposed increases in health care payments by service members, which must be approved by Congress, are part of the Pentagon’s $487 billion cut in spending. It seeks to save $1.8 billion from the Tricare medical system in the fiscal 2013 budget, and $12.9 billion by 2017.Not everybody is happy with the plan, however.Military personnel would see their annual Tricare premiums increase anywhere from 30 - 78 percent in the first year, followed by sharply increased premiums "ranging from 94 percent to 345 percent—more than 3 times current levels.""According to congressional assessments, a retired Army colonel with a family currently paying $460 a year for health care will pay $2,048," Gertz wrote.

2. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Wasn't relevant when it was written back in February but I guess it is now. Also from the author-who is by trade an IT professional
    Ted Nugent: Barack Obama an 'absolute America-hating punk'
    UK paper asks: Is Barack Obama the weakest President in history?
    Did President Obama give a top secret military drone to Iran?
    Report: Obama set to give missile defense secrets to Russia

Great find JD88

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

$2048 for medical care for a family is unbelievably low. I have decent insurance and my premiums are over $3600/year.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I pay $1488 a year just for myself. They were paying $460 a year for an entire family? Damn...

5. rage

rage Member

Dann, that is entitlement at its finest. I thought you guys don't like entitlement?!

6. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

This! Give me that plan any day!

7. ling ling

ling ling Member

It's easy to get the plan. Just suit up. Afghanistan is waiting.

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

how many 'kids' on insurance would a retired army colonel have? Just curious.

9. Buck88

No thanks! I am not interested in military service (but respect the hell out of those that do) but if your going to tell me they are entitled to outrageously cheap health care for the rest of their lives then I don't want to hear one word when taxes are raised. I think the Bush cuts should be allowed to expire on the all but the lower tax brackets and tax reform needs to be a much higher pirority then it currently is. Somehow, someway this has to be paid for - and not by the middle class alone. These burdens must be shared by all - even military vets.

10. ling ling

ling ling Member

But why cut benefits for retired military but not union benefits.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'd give my left nut to pay $2,048 annually for health care...except my medical plan would find some way not to cover it.

12. rage

rage Member

Show me what they are paying.

13. Buck88

I would also guess the union workers already pay much higher premiums that are more in line with the private sector, thus there is not much to cut there.

14. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

This whole "union vs. military" or "union vs. independent billionaire" schtick is played out and unrealistic. There is no such conflict, except in the minds of wannabe-wealthy people. The genuinely wealthy people who start these ideas know that it's just sleight-of-hand.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wait what?

you didn't know that Obama determines wages and benefits unilaterally through the National Union Workers Get What the President Declares Act of 2009?

Try to be informed, Thad. :rolleyes:

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why was the union brought into the thread? The govt. does not decide about medical benefits for unions. Those are up to the employers.

It's stupid to act like the govt. would be the ones deciding the benefits rates for unions.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm guessing these are union workers who work directly for the Department of Defense or some other government department. Which doesn't keep it from being stupid because (1) the union has a contract which the government can't unilaterally break but must re-negotiate after termination and (2) union workers probably pay out the ass for their health insurance already and raising premiums on them would only make a government department less competitive in hiring a competent workforce.

But, I'll give the article the benefit of the doubt and assume the government is the employer.