1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama to appear on The O'Reilly Factor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by marks0223, Sep 3, 2008.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

All you people who act shocked about the fair/balanced portrayal Bill gives don't pay any attention to him. I can't say what he was like 5 or 6 years ago, but since I began watching him the last 2 years or so he has been GENERALLY impartial.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

why can't he interview everyone like he did george bush? ask a question and then shut up and let the other person answer. if they don't, repeat. don't go into their answering time.

fox just released new clips of the interview and he does the same thing. he asked a question, obama begins to answer, and he keeps yapping. fortunately, obama looked calm and composed.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not sure, but I'm sure part of it has to do with the fact that one man is the president and one man isn't. He laid into McCain about Sanctuary Cities and McCain dodging that question if I recall correctly during their interview.

His interview style is abrasive, but it's effective in my opinion. It forces the candidates to do something other than give canned answers.

4. t_mac1

how can obama dodge a question when the moment he opens his mouth and bill is still yapping? let him answer first. if he dodges a question, REPEAT. what's wrong with that method?

5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

It is the "No Spin Zone" so whenever O'Reilly hears someone moving off point he jumps in. That's what the show is. As far as the other comments about O'Reilly being rude to guests and FoxNews in general being trash or Right leaning it's obvious that you're getting most of this bias from Internet screen shots and YouTube clips. O'Reilly is not as bad as you believe him to be.

6. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Because otherwise, you'll never get an answer. Every time you give the person another chance to answer, they won't. It may not be the most cordial of styles but if you want to get actual answers instead of prepared fluff, it's effective.

7. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Whatever. I've watched his show off and on since the Clinton administration. He's an ass to those who don't agree with his views.

8. t_mac1

then repeat the question. if they dodge the question after you asked them twice, you can say, "obviously you don't want to answer me" and that'll look bad on the person not answering the question.

the fact that he yaps all the damn time is very disrespectful. obama is clearly very respectful in there. if that was not a respectful politician in there, o'reilly would have gotten a beatdown.

9. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

yeah cause when you become president you no longer need to answer tough questions :rolleyes:

10. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

qft.

O'Rielly can be an ass. I agree. But he's effective. I've seen/heard plenty of interviewees be an ass right back. He and Geraldo have absolutely SCREAMED at each other on the air over the immigration issue, so it goes both ways.

I've seen him get fired up, only to apologize and admit that he's wrong a minute or so later in the very same interview. In other words, if you can take it and give it back, he'll respect you and treat you accordingly. He just wants people to answer the damn question without dodging or spin, and he doesn't play favorites. He had the head of the San Francisco Gay/bi/transgender League (or whatever its called) on a few months ago. It was to accept a 'razzie' type of award from the group as well as an interview to dispel some of the left-with perception about him. It was a damn good interview. Nothing like some of you make him out to be. And he's NOTHING like Sean Hannity.

For those of you wondering about how McCain will fare on the show, HE'S INTERVIEWED McCAIN. Recently, at that. Like just a few months ago, around the same time he interviewed Hillary. Bill's interview with Hillary left me (as I've said in this thread already) with a more favorable view of her than I previously had. And my view of her wasn't all that bad in the first place. His interview with McCain left me less than impressed with McCain. So far, the interview with Obama has impressed me (+1 for Obama), and I'll be sure and watch the rest. As to the interview with Bush and some of you wondering why he didn't interrupt or lay into him: like him or not, Bush is the president and leader of the free world. Scary proposition, I know, but he's still the president. Its more about not interrupting the president than it is about not interrupting Bush..

Watch his show for awhile. Try and put your bias on the shelf for a bit. If he goes into something you don't agree with, fine. But listen to his interviews. Your perception might change....which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

You can like O'Rielly and still be a liberal democrat. Or a socially liberal independent like myself.

:)

11. langal

langal Contributing Member

Practically everybody is an ass to those that don't agree with them.

12. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

His point isn't to make someone look bad for not answering. It's to get them to answer the question. Both parties have a time limit and if you spend 80% of it reasking questions, you don't get to ask as much.

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lM3oww9Vk-c&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lM3oww9Vk-c&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hmmm, why don't they ever use McCain's middle name???

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't like or normally watch his shows, but I found his attitude and questions consistent with what he asked Hillary. The cutting in is his style, but there are times when you already know Obama's canned answer.

Hillary did manage to loosen up and crack some jokes with O' Reilly at the end. I don't really want Obama to do that. Seems too inauthentic...

15. rocket3forlife2

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z7YtQBznlUA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z7YtQBznlUA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Around the 5:59 point you see Bill O'Rilley interviewing Martin Luther king Jr.

16. Lynus302

Man I love the Boondocks.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Flipping unreal......and people think Fox is fair and balanced....my arse.

DD

18. t_mac1

everybody knows fox news is conservative. their ratings are great b/c well, most of america is still fairly conservative in views.

a perfect example is compare the ratings of DNC to RNC. fox news isn't even top 3 when it comes to coverage of the DNC (CNN was #1 but it was spread all over other stations pretty well). when it comes to coverage of the RNC, fox is #1 overwhelmingly.

NBC is just as liberal as fox is conservative. so watch CNN -> real fair and balanced.

19. Lynus302

Pretty damning video....but I wonder how many people they cut out of that....people refuting what was shown. They showed a lot of Hannity clips. He's an unabashed conservative pundit who makes no apologies for being so. Colmes is a committed liberal who refutes what Hannity has to say (and vice versa). Where was he in that clip? O'Reilly, for example, usually has someone on to counter, for example, Ann Coulter. And sometimes he just does it himself. Where was that?

Free your minds, people.

20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Are you fair and balanced? This video was comes from a very liberal group foxattacks dot com. This groups sole purpose is to find right wing slants at FoxNews and they did a nice job. If I had no life I'm sure I could come up with video montage of CNN, MSNBC...........and..........FoxNews that shows they're all flaming liberals and out to destory conservative view points.