1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama speaks out in favor of Net Neutrality; Ted Cruz likens it to "Obamacare"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Eric Riley, Nov 10, 2014.

1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

kind of like bush loosening wall street regulations... hmmm, how did that work out :confused::confused:

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Spoken like one who is greatly uneducated in the current infrastructure of the internet.

How many customers does google currently have? (hint: they wont release that info...because its embarrassingly small). How many customers did Google expand to once they bought out the existing fiber lines? (even a more embarrassing question). Google is not the savior.

Question: What is this technology that has existed for years that these ISP's have been sitting on? Just curious.

Question 2: Do you understand the limitations to DSL and cable? If so, you should understand why DSL struggles to offer these "substantial" speed increases.

How much fiber do you think is out there? (its EVERYWHERE). Who owns it? Why is it not being used?

To arbitrarily blame one party is ignorant. The truth is everyone is to blame.

3. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Glad to see you back in the fray over Title II.
    Could you please take a minute to respond to the last post I addressed to you in the previous Title II thread?
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=8982806#post8982806

4. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

And yet the competing ISPs provided much faster service at cheaper rates in those places where Google entered the market. Coincidence?

Honest question, cause I don't know the answer: Is Google fiber operating at a loss?

What we do know is American ISPs have lobbied themselves to a position where they can provide absolute minimum service at top dollar, the opposite result we should have from a capitalistic system.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, you guys are excellent with slogans, rhetoric, and nonsense. I can't wait to read how many cliches and tired talking points you use in this thread.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

We are now up to 3 posters in 2 pages who claim Net Neutrality is not regulation. This is incredible. Anyone else wanna make that claim? Obamacare is not a tax right (I doubt even Obama would claim net neutrality is not a regulation)?

heres the opening paragraph from USAToday's article on the subject

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

straw man argument!!! STRAW MAN ARGUMENT!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

8. CometsWin

So what if it's regulation? Regulation is why we don't live in the 1800's any longer. The conservative position that regulation is the boogeyman is just stupid. Engage your brains for once. Conservatives are dragging this country into an abyss of stupid.

9. CometsWin

A good reminder to put you on ignore. Don't know how I missed it with you in the Texans forum. Thanks.

10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

What is truly needed is for people to demand their city councils to reject exclusive ISP's, and begin the process to oust companies like Comcast in favor of better ISP's. It's very difficult when 90% of the public remains clueless as to how the internet works. Thus, it remains on the backburner for most folk as they spend time harping on non issues (benghazi, ebola, etc..).

11. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

hehe i think you missed my point.

i was agreeing with you.

ease up hoss.

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

if the liberals in this forum can't even admit that what they advocate is government control over the ISPs then wtf is there to discuss?

either that or time.

Keep punching that strawman. go read page 1.

13. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Without the FDA people would resort to eating chairs or dirt!

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still can't fathom how would be libertarians can have so much distrust in government, while having so much faith in corporations.

All you are doing is trading one evil overlord for another. I know you guys don't see it. I just don't understand how. You want to kick the wolf out of the hen house by letting in a starving tiger.

15. Space Ghost

16. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

I'll never understand how the people who hate corporations love to make it so much easier for them to accomplish their objectives.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The term "customer" needs to be better-defined when referring to Google. Their dominance in search is undisputed and many argue that is their core product.

I should also rephrase when I say "technology." What I meant was the ability to deliver better internet speed to customers. It's no coincidence that AT&T is suddenly offering "Gigabit" service in Austin now that Google is rolling out Fiber and that Netflix's delivery speeds "coincidentally" increased after they agreed to pay ISPs to un-throttle their bandwidth.

I do understand the limitations of DSL and cable. My point is that due to the current competitive climate, ISPs have no incentive to invest in Fiber when they have almost no true competition in so many markets. Why make your product better when there's nobody else to run to? I'm not saying Google is a savior, but they're certainly making ISPs in Austin shake.

I ask again: why are conservatives inclined to fall in line with the ISPs corporate argument and ignore the counter arguments of other companies like Google, Facebook and Netflix?

"Regulation" isn't a dirty word. Net neutrality may be regulation, but it's very hands off and has allowed for the creation of a dynamic online market where anybody can create a product and have an equal chance to compete.

Ottomaton, I wish I knew. I don't know what the "market" has done to deserve so much adoration and trust.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't hate anybody. I understand that everybody will screw me given half a chance. I prefer to play them off each other, with a bias towards the ham-handed incompetent fools, rather than the thieves who are really good at stealing.

20. Space Ghost

Cable did. DSL in America is the pits.
    I dont exactly fault the ISP's tiering their service. Generally speaking, people face quality issues over quantity. While its "cool" to have a service that offers 100Mbps or 1Gbps, the reality (at this time) is that most people get by fine with 30Mbps. Its the latency and backhaul issues that frustrate Americans.

This is a subjective question. For example, The City of Provo provided fiber internet to part of its town. The City of Provo sold its entire fiber infrastructure to Google for $1. Google is getting sweetheart deals and taking the glory as if they are dumping millions of dollars into these locations.
    I would be very surprised if Google had more than 10,000 subs across the board. If I had to guess, I would say Google has brought on 1000 subs post acquisition.