1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama responsible for bringing $5 per gallon gasoline

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Oh yeah, texxx, tell me how Obama directly affects California laws, and the FOMC. Throw me some conspiracy angles.

Let the states decide! whee!

Obama's preferred candidates for the FOMC got blocked to a slow death (apparently a Nobel Prize in Economics isn't good enough to outweigh partisan sniping). In this case, I'm assuming he poisons the FOMC's coffee with truth serum, but feel free to correct me.

Maybe he did a number on Roberts too. Well, let's hope so. You know, I can't wait in that case for the progressive landmark cases this term. It'll be like Obamacare * 1.5.

#281 Northside Storm, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The "SamFisher" style absurdity posts are not an effective argument technique. It exposes your lack of ability to address facts.

3. Northside Storm

What facts or articles do you have to address when it comes to the undue influence of President Obama on the FOMC, given how he can't even seem to appoint a Nobel Prize winner onto the committee?

I'm genuinely curious. Come out with the facts, oh texxx.

4. Northside Storm

Incidentally, Mankiw (Romney's egghead economics friend) has said much the same as Chu.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB116131055641498552.html

Raise the Gas Tax

i dunno, it might just be a general consensus among "eggheads" aka smart and qualified individuals that excess energy consumption in this age of cheap oil will leave your grandchildren with not nearly that much to feast on---not that that matters at all for anyone.

5. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

BigTexxx- brings no facts to the table. It's all empty-headed opinion, and it shows a shocking lack of understanding about how our country- and the world- operates. I have to conclude that he just throws these things out there, like Basso, solely to irritate. Plus, the anonymity of the Web allows him, like many others, to spout off nonsense that he wouldn't dare without the anonymity.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Fact: $5 gasoline has reached California.

What's irritating is the senseless excuses and attempted rationalization the Obama fanboys offer up to try to sweep his abysmal performance under the rug.

7. Raven

Raven Member

So the argument is that Romney will work tirelessly to reduce oil company profits if he's elected?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

8. Raven

Raven Member

He's no stranger to bad ideas. That he is an associate of Mittens does not surprise me in the least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N._Gregory_Mankiw

9. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

as it did summer 2008

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i saw something that stated that oil inventories were eleven percent higher than the five year average. i'll try to find a link. anyway, oil is down after a very big build in inventory again this past week and that should reflect in gasoline prices shortly.

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Gasoline prices have fallen the fastest in four years, will those blaming Obama for high gas prices praise him for the drops as well?

I don't think Obama or Bush or any president can control gas prices and I don't blame them or credit them when the prices rise and fall, I think it is pretty foolish to do so but if you give them credit for low/falling prices you need to blame them for higher prices and vice versa.

http://news.yahoo.com/gasoline-prices-post-biggest-fall-nearly-4-years-065002225--finance.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The average U.S. price for a gallon of regular gasoline took its biggest drop since 2008 in the past two weeks, due to lower crude oil prices, a big price drop in pump prices in California and Hurricane Sandy, according to a widely followed survey released on Sunday.

Gasoline prices averaged $3.5454 per gallon on November 2, down 20.75 cents from October 19 when drivers were paying $3.7529 at the pump, Lundberg said.

The decline was the biggest two-week price drop since the survey recorded a 21.9 cents price decline December 5, 2008 due to a crash in petroleum demand during the global recession.

Even though many people had to line up for gasoline for hours after Sandy devastated much of the Northeast coast, the storm played a part in the price decline as many would-be consumers were not able to travel as a result, according Trilby Lundberg, editor of the Lundberg Survey.

Lundberg also cited the seasonal dip in demand that typically comes after August.

While demand appeared to be very high for gasoline in New York and New Jersey after the storm, Lundberg said that purchases were down because many people could not get to fuel.

However, supply shortages were not causing an increase in the average price of gasoline, according Lundberg.

"There is a fear among retailers that they will be accused and prosecuted for price gouging if they raise prices enough to prevent running out," she said, adding that the problems would be unlikely to end soon.

"It's going to be a long and hard recovery for infrastructure and fuel supply but also for fuel demand," Lundberg said.

Another reason for the total U.S. price decline in the latest survey is California, the biggest state consumer, where pump prices fell 49 cents in past two weeks after an extreme price increase a month ago because of refinery problems.

The November 2 survey shows that gas prices have fallen a total of 29.21 cents in the last month, Lundberg said.

The highest prices for regular gasoline recorded in the November 2 survey were in San Francisco at $4.05 a gallon, while drivers in Memphis, Tennessee were paying the least at $3.11 per gallon.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I don't think there are many who believe presidents have the capability to control the pricing market. What most believe is the prices can indeed be artificially controlled and the policies of the administration will influence this.

I find it really hard to believe prices have the steepest drop in four years a few days before election. And don't use Sandy as an argument. Anytime a hurricane is mentioned, prices immediately go up. The north east doesn't use that fuel in a day or two to constitute that big of a drop.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Down to $3.23 at my local station in Round Rock.

THANK YOU, PRESIDENT OBAMA!

:grin:

1 person likes this.
  14. Classic

Classic Member

Sad we think $3.23 is a bargain when just 12 years ago we were paying 1/3 that.

15. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

you should check gasoline prices in Europe and Africa. $3.23 is a HELL of a bargain compared to those places.

1 person likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yes fiat for the win

17. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Under 3 bucks around these parts, Thanks Dear Leader!

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

europeans have much better mass transit options, there is a lot less percentage of euros who NEED cars than the percentage of americans who need a car because of the location of their residence and mass transit options

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no, it has nothing to do with the value of the dollar.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Ross Sterling and the Railroad Commission realized this after Spindletop and regulated drilling to point that it probably saved Texas's economy and got us Northeastern quality universities and infrastructure without ever having to pay a state income tax. Unfortunately modern retail, communication and information-based capitalism gains too much from immediate energy consumption to easily rationalize this type of policy.