1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Obama rebuilds mosques while churches burn

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IzakDavid13, Sep 26, 2012.

?

Obama rebuilding foreign mosques is

1. Money well spent

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Waste of taxpayers dollars

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Not my claim at all.

2. IzakDavid13

Point taken, and i also agree with second point.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

And hence in aster-ix.

And the reason I did that was because this is not the first time where you have cut and pasted an article from another site without engaging in a bit of critical reasoning on your part.

Check the website. Read the article. Check for biases (site and the article). Cross-check the facts. Draw your own conclusions.

This is something I would tell my daughter to do. And you are 37 years old.

2 people like this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

After all, just yesterday the OP implied that the thread title "Why are Muslims so easily offended?" is a fact. In reality, this thread title is in his bottom 3 least misleading thread titles. Give credit where it's due people.

Having said that, I think it's wrong, even though it's not specifically Obama's fault. It's wrong to do it at all, regardless of churches being burned. It's improper behavior (though not illegal) on the part of a secular state to garner favor with religious institutions. Secularism is not only about protecting state from religion, it is also about protecting religion from the state and this goes against that idea.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Can't agree. They are cultural heritage sites. They are being preserved for historical and cultural reasons, not because of religion (in my opinion). That a site is/was a mosque or a church, for example, is incidental in the eyes of the program, and I think that's a good thing.

6. IzakDavid13

I did read the article. I did cross-check...hence the link showing that this wasn't Obama's idea in the first place.

I don't have to do any critical reasoning for every post that I put in the D&D, I do however agree with the highlighted part of the OP, in regards to the Pakistan public service announcement.

Sometimes it is ok to just have read an article and post it on a discussion board to see what others think, isn't it?

7. IzakDavid13

Maybe they can someday rebuild the Banymain Buddha statues that were destroyed?

[​IMG]

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the American Family Association, really?

the anti-gay group that labeled Rudy and Tyson Gay as Rudy and Tyson Homosexual in their newsletter?

the same group responsible for a failed boycott of JCPenney for endorsing Ellen Degeneres?

the anti-Muslim group that sent out an "Action Alert" when the first Muslim was elected to US Congress and was sworn in on the Koran?

the same group that opposed a Hindu prayer based on the teachings of Ghandi being read in the US Senate, claiming such prayer is "seeking the invocation of a non-monotheistic god"?

the same group that claimed that "Permits should not be granted to build even one more mosque in the United States of America, let alone the monstrosity planned for Ground Zero. This is for one simple reason: each Islamic mosque is dedicated to the overthrow of the American government... Because of this subversive ideology, Muslims cannot claim religious freedom protections under the First Amendment."

the same group that claims homosexuality is a choice and can be cured by religious therapy and opposes gay/straight alliance clubs in schools?

1 person likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If you're not going to do some lifting before posting this crap, then the crap you get in return should be expected, isn't it?

1 person likes this.
  10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Jesus christ dude.

Are we seriously talking about this?

Basso caliber thread.

1 person likes this.
  11. IzakDavid13

Sometimes it's good to exfoliate.

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this obsession has gone to manbearpig level.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

that is an insult to the quality of threads that basso starts.

it's nothing compared to ATW, either. those guys know what they are doing.

it's ToyCen on a whole new ignorant let's talk about United States through an anti Muslim prism level.

we're about to get hit with some god awful gifs and pictures from the Internet

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Not disputing that they are cultural heritage sites. I'm disputing whether it's the role of a government, whether foreign or domestic, to rebuild those sites.

Whether the identity of the sites is incidental in the eyes of the government program is debatable, but not part of my argument.

Imams of those mosques have a responsibility to remain independent. The owners/operators of those sites should be saying "Thank you but no thank you. This is an extravagant and thoughtful gift, but it would diminish my credibility and hence impact my ability to fulfill my duties."

It would be better to use that money for other purposes IMO.

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Here's an asinine question...Why the F**K do you care how we spend our money, mate?

2 people like this.
  16. IzakDavid13

I Should start a thread..."Why are liberals so easily offended."

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Irrelevant. The way America's money is spent can and does affect non-Americans depending on how it is spent. Same goes for all countries.

I don't know how/if that applies here, but it doesn't make sense to say no one should care how you spend your money. That money could be used to bribe people, to influence people, to fund industries that are illegal in their territories, etc.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Signed,

The guy who posts incessantly about Muslims and the war on Christians.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The United States has a long history of providing foreign aid, and just as long a list of reasons for doing so. Something like this should be celebrated, not nit-picked to death, in my opinion.

20. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

BTW, annoyed and offended aren't the same thing.