1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Obama Proves He's a Closet Muslim -- Screws Israel with Abstention

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Russia exposes corruption in our party system; Outrage ensues for a foreign power meddling in our affairs

Same people who are outraged are the same busybodies telling our ally they should divide up their country and give it away.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Israel's size has grown considerably since its original founding, and as they've taken hold of more and more land through conquest they've inherited some of the Arab population. Kudos to them for not forcibly expelling the entire Arab population on those lands. But that doesn't make settlement-building in still disputed territory OK.

#142 durvasa, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How can there be corruption in our party system that is a private entity that can literally before the primaries have all their party leaders sit in a conference room and legally be like "**** the primaries, Hillary is our nominee".

Russians duped you into thinking that this is some unique intrinsic part of the DNC and not standard party politics. That's how they fooled you and the a large portion of the American public.

The problem isn't the DNC, it's our public's faith in the two party system barring ourselves from having any viable candidates outside that party system. THAT'S the actual problem with the paradigm of our election proccess.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. durvasa

I don't think anyone here is saying that.

Clearly there is a disagreement over what qualifies as their country.

#145 durvasa, Dec 29, 2016
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's an op-ed I just read in the Washington Post from a political science professor at Syracuse, that makes the case that moving the embassy to Jerusalem might help the peace process. I'm skeptical, but reading it, though I'm a little more willing to give it a chance than I was before. However, I thought much better logic applied to this resolution and speech:

Unfortunately, I think Bibi is just going to wait this out and expect Trump to become his biggest enabler of all time. But IMO it is pretty clear while the Palestinians need a serious kick in the pants to get back to negotiating, the Israelis need one as much if not more. As the saying goes, "It takes two to tango." Both sides, for whatever reason, prefer the predictability of the status quo to actually giving ground and risking something to make progress. Both sides need to feel in their bones that the "same old same old" will have a very poor eventual outcome if they are to be prodded into doing something.

As the above says, "demands and offers need to be believable", and every US President since Reagan has privately demanded an end to settlement expansion with absolutely no consequence at all, which is why the Israeli PM's understand that they can blow them off. This is the first time the Israelis have had to deal with a consequence of ignoring that demand, as mild as that consequence is.

But like I said, Trump is pretty much going to be the biggest Israeli co-dependent enabler of all time, and by the end of his term, I expect the hard core in Israel will believe they have cover to do whatever they desire, and will think that Obama's resolution was just a bump in the road and a bad memory. Carte blanche from the US gives Israel a sense that they can stay right where they are and manage the current situation indefinitely. Why take a potentially risky move like negotiating peace, when staying right where you are has no downside and serious potential upside.

Bibi loves the current situation. He can demand things from the Palestinians that they will never willingly give without something in return. In the end, they either collapse and totally capitulate, or he can slowly push them out. No downside at all for Bibi to not going to negotiations.

Both the Israelis and Palestinians need to be prodded and cajoled if there is going to be any willingness towards negotiated peace at all.

As far as Israelis being concerned that we are meddling in their affairs, if they want to, they can refuse US money, and then they'll be on pretty solid ground to not listen to us. Like parents always say to their kids, as long as we are paying their allowance, they get to listen to our rules.

#146 Ottomaton, Dec 29, 2016
    mtbrays and durvasa like this.
  7. Space Ghost

I was not aiming to derail the thread into the details of the hypocritical unethical behavior of a certain party.

The point is we should take a step back and telling other countries what they should do. Would you want other countries telling us we need to return most of the US to native Americans and Texas and California back to Mexico? (for the record, I am not exactly opposed to returning California back to Mexico)

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So essentially you want to end US hegemony?

Being a hegomonic world power entails being hypocritical. It is quite impossible to avoid.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. Space Ghost

I can respect honesty over being disingenuous. If only more people would admit this.

10. durvasa

Land claimed by the US through agreed upon treaty belongs to them, as per international law. The settlement expansion under discussion is with respect to disputed territory that Israel does not (as of yet) have a rightful claim to. If we want to ignore international law and take up the position that countries are free to land grab what all they can by force and that shouldn't affect how other countries deal with them, then I suppose I get your point. That's not a world I'd want to live in.

Exiled likes this.
  11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Very well said by Netanyahu. He stopped short of saying what the real problem is, however - the beliefs of Islam that keeping the Jews out is ok. Very intolerant.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. Space Ghost

Land grab by force has always been the international law from the beginning of time. Countries sign treaties when they are ready to stop fighting, not because a few international lawyers tell them its time. If a country wants the land, can take the land by force and defend it, that is all the law they need. Borders have never stopped changing and they never will. Rarely does a border change w/out bloodshed.

This Israel/Palestine conflict is a religious conflict over Jerusalem. Palestine does not want their own state. They want to rule Jerusalem. I have no patience for religious bickering. If they can take the land and defend it, then its theirs. Otherwise STFU and the rest of the world just needs to back off.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wow. So... if Iraq (or Iran) were to take, say Kuwait, then the rest of the world should STFU and back off?

14. durvasa

1. Land grab by force is allowable by international law, so everyone else needs to just STFU and back off.
    2. Palestinians don't actually care about having their own state.

It's amazing to me how far one has to go off the deep end to rationalize the settlement expansion.

Exiled likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This full tilt crazy by Space Ghost is refreshingly honest and at the very least breaks a disingenuous streak to rattle his bff libs.

CometsWin likes this.
  16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Let me state first that if the Palestinians living in greater Palestine/Israel wish to accept a couple of tiny Bantustan type areas with limited water, boundary control etc. then it is their right to do so. I could be wrong, but don't think that is the case except for possible some of the more corrupt leaders.

Assuming that is not the case, I think what Bibi and Trump are doing is clarifying as it puts to rest the hoax of the "peace process" leading to the "two state" solution. The one state solution with equal rights for all the folks living there, regardless of religion or ethnicity is certainly more appropriate in this situation.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

C'mon man, there is literally no chance that Israel would take in over 3 million Palestinians the vast majority of which support terrorism against Israel and have them count as 1/3 of the vote. That's simply not realistic at all. While I agree that a 2 state solution won't work, there's just no chance that Israel would agree to have 1/3 of their population be comprised of supporters of anti-Israeli terrorism. It would be suicide.

The only way it works is for there to be 1 state comprising the entire landmass and for that state to either be Israeli or Palestinian with the other group of people removed one way or the other. That's literally the only way for it to work.

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

with scary background music :Israel will pursue with occupation,restistance will continue. One day a nuclear site will explode leaving no one. whomever Jews left around the globe should occupy UK or Germany this time as payback

[​IMG]

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They were also needlessly attacked by the Zionists before Israel was even formed as well. Please don't only hold side as doing something bad in the 1940's

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Zionists attacked Jordan? Do tell.