1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OBAMA MILITARY STORY HAS A HUGE HOLE IN IT!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ROXRAN, Sep 12, 2008.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

OBAMA MILITARY STORY HAS A HUGE HOLE IN IT!
    September 8, 2008 - September 14, 2008
    During a weekend interview on ABC’s “This Week” with host George Stephanopoulos Democrat presidential nominee Barack Obama noted that he once considered joining the U.S. military. His decision not to pursue service in the military has never been mentioned by Obama on the campaign trail nor was it included in either of his two memoirs.

But when asked about whether or not he ever thought about serving in uniform Obama replied: “"You know, I actually did. I had to sign up for Selective Service when I graduated from high school. And I was growing up in Hawaii. And I have friends whose parents were in the military. There are a lot of Army, military bases there. And I actually always thought of the military as an ennobling and, you know, honorable option. But keep in mind that I graduated in 1979. The Vietnam War had come to an end. We weren't engaged in an active military conflict at that point. And so, it's not an option that I ever decided to pursue."

Barack Obama’s assessment of the climate with respect to the military and the downsizing that was underway in 1979 may be accurate. And, he may have considered military service at that time and decided to pursue other options for the reasons he states; but the factual circumstances that he laid out for George Stephanopoulos are provably false. He is not telling the truth.

In 1975, President Gerald Ford brought the military draft to an end by signing signed a Presidential Order, Number 4360, Terminating Registration Procedures Under Military Selective Service Act. That order eliminated the registration requirement for all 18-25 year old male citizens.

On July 2,1980, President Jimmy Carter reinstituted the registration requirements after the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan. Carter signed Presidential Order 4771, Registration Under the Military Selective Service Act, and retroactively re-established the Selective Service registration requirement for all 18-26 year old male citizens born on or after January 1, 1960. The renewed registration process began on July 21,1980.

In other words, when Barack Obama graduated from high school in 1979 there was no draft registration requirement in place. One year AFTER he graduated from high school the Selective Service again began the process of registering potential draftees. Obama may have considered joining the military at that time, while he was purportedly enrolled in college, but it was not when he graduated from high school.

Since he is clearly lying about the circumstances surrounding his consideration of military service, should he be believed when it comes to the “fact” that he considered serving in the U.S. military?

http://www.gillreport.com/wk-93

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Wow, real huge. :rolleyes:

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Did McCain ever serve in the military? Oh yeah, he spent 5 years in the Hanoi Hilton having his shoulder broken by Charlie. Obama "considered it". Obama is simply not fit to lead. Hell, he's never led anything in his life....why start now?

4. Master Baiter

So you can only be president if you were in the military? That's ridiculous.

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I graduated high school in 1980. I turned 18 that March. On my birthday I went down to the Post Office and registered with the government. Don't tell me there was no draft registration requirement.

6. ROXRAN

The Persian God King Obama is above the Presidency...His lies are excused by his followers....The sheep are in fear!

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Hey, me too.

8. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I recall registering at 18... and I was born in 1980.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

ROFLMAO...so, it was the very next year that he signed up for selective service.

Keep floating out the fear RoxRan...but don't forget the toilet paper to whipe off your body after floating in the cess pool of lies you propagate.

DD

10. ROXRAN

when Barack Obama graduated from high school in 1979 there was no draft registration requirement in place. One year AFTER he graduated from high school the Selective Service again began the process of registering potential draftees.

Learn to read...Learn to read...

11. bigtexxx

What was Obama doing while McCain was getting bamboo shoved up his fingernails in Nam? Was he filling out school forms claiming his religion as Muslim in his school in Indonesia?

12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

McCain was a great hero as a POW....that does not qualify him to lead a nation.

DD

13. Master Baiter

Oh noes!! A Muslim!!

Even if he was a Muslim, which he is not, why is that a problem? How does it disqualify him being president?

14. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Thank God you used all CAPS. Without that, I wouldn't have known what the story was about.

15. ROXRAN

ROTFFLMAO!!!!!!WOOOOO! B-But that is NOT what Obama said: “"You know, I actually did. I had to sign up for Selective Service when I graduated from high school

Keep being good sheep...You should be promoted to head sheep for your incredible devotion...Refutation of the truth...IMPRESSIVE!

when Barack Obama graduated from high school in 1979 there was no draft registration requirement in place. One year AFTER he graduated from high school the Selective Service again began the process of registering potential draftees.

OBAMA! The great liar Persian KING...Leader of the sheep...Heil....Heil....

16. bucket

bucket Member

Who did you vote for in '04?

[/feeding]

17. bigtexxx

Obama has never led ANYTHING. Ever.

He got elected by Chicago machine politics. That's his career.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

RoxRan,

Do you know where Persia is, because Obama is not from there, and neither is his family, in fact Persia is not even Middle Eastern.

But, I guess you are like Palin, content to deal in lies and half understandings.

Hey guess what? I didn't blink when I typed this.....

DD

PS...Persia is Iran

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Why Johnny Ringo...I beg to differ.....

A good leader surrounds himself with quality people that will challenge him, and help him lead.

A good leader blinks....because it is important to understand the enter breadth of the issue before making a rash decision like oh...say.....attacking Iraq for no reason at all......and costing over 4,000 American lives, trashing the American economy and ruining our constitution in the process.

But, maybe you think it is better not to blink....Eh....Huckleberry?

DD

20. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

No, according to your article they didn't start until July 21,1980. So Why was I registering in March?

learn to read?