1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama: Forget Deficit for the Next 2 years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Old Man Rock, Nov 17, 2008.

1. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

we have to cut spending drastically, I would pull out of Iraq asap and then look at every program, there cannot be any increases in spending because we just can't keep borrowing.

I am going to email the President like it will do any good but I really hope he changes this course.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

In the short term that will have the effect of driving the economy even further over the cliff.

3. deepblue

deepblue Member

How many times I have heard people say we all should spend within our means, don't over extend on credit cards and home equities, and save for retirement.

If everyone did that, this consumer based economy would collapse.

Now that the credit bubble has popped, good times are over for a lot of people.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How is the US going to go bankrupt? A lot of countries will lose a lot of money if the US goes bankrupt. Plus we have the biggest guns.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

well, when the politicians tell you how great the 401k is and then the stock market loses 40% in 1 year, I wouldn't exactly hold that one against the people.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

it needs to collapse because it is unsustainable at these levels.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Who out of the universe of available choices had handled issues of National strategic interest? Has America ever elected a former Secretary of State, Treasury Secretary or Secretary of Defense ? Those are about the only jobs close to qualifying under your experience requirements. Being the governor of a pop fart little state like Arkansas or Alaska or holding the ceremonial title of Texas Governor sure doesn't.

As a judge of people running for the office, I figured that Bill Clinton could probably handle the job and George Bush was a malleable sock puppet for self serving ideologues. I'm 16 - 0 for years of being right, so for the chances of Obama being considered, pragmatic and a uniting force, I think you should have a little faith that he is exactly who he seems to be.

8. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

You have no idea what pain those debt restructuring countries endured.

9. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

OH... now we discuss FAITH. Well that is a completely different matter all together.

I have faith that he is a politician through and through and that he will associate with and pander to whoever and whatever will keep him in power. I also have faith that he will talk a lot about big ideas and will commit to nothing.

I HOPE that I am wrong.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Once upon a time Rome was a great empire. Spain once owned the most powerful Armada. The sun never set on the British Empire. These things do go in cycles. To assume we will never be surpassed is crazy.

We will survive this, but I could definitely see the world becoming less dependent upon us.

11. deepblue

deepblue Member

Well, at least they are not spending the money they don't have. :(

12. deepblue

deepblue Member

I'd prefer a more controlled pull back on consumer spending until population growth can catch up. China converting its economy into more consumer oriented would also help.

The hits will keep on coming.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i don't think we have that luxury unless we annex mexico and canada. ...on a side note i do wish we would significantly increase legal immigration but that is doubtful....

anyhow, i would prefer a controlled unwinding of the dependence on consumer spending but the numbers just don't suggest otherwise since we are so over extended.

14. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

It is not permanent like a debt will be. And the debt is a more serious issue than people here seem to admit. The debt should be the number 1 economic issue.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

This argument never gets old....lol

NO MAN has the experience necessary to "handle" what the presidency has to throw at them.

just for lulz...and to keep my rep for no-substance posts intact.
    [​IMG]

;)

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The perceived and real global stature of the U.S. has plummeted the last 8 years. The economic and military dominance of the U.S. will never be what it once was. This country has been sent into a nosedive.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

and yet we spend on the military like no one else, not even close. but if barrack tries to cut that spending, omg, he's a terrorist planning for the destruction of the country

18. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

exactly what needs to happen to avert catastrophe

a short term solution at this point has the long term potential to reduce our economy to a greater depression than 1930's

we are in debt in some serious stuff and there is no avoiding the cliff

it is all a matter of how far we fall not if we fall

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There is a lot of research which indicates you are wrong.

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I think you are wrong. Hope of ending the war was a big reason Obama got elected. It was one of the things that frustrated me about McCain. He kept saying we will leave with victory but he never explained why that was important. Everyone said I don't care about victory I want a tax break.

Even I was in favor of cutting military spending and ending the war in Iraq. I like many others wasn't crazy about the Iraq War to begin with. As much as I wanted someone to pay for 911 I wasn't convinced a war with Iraq would accomplish that. And when no WMD's were found and Saddam was playing cat and mouse for so long I became very frustrated. I thought like many people how stupid can Bush be. But we are way past that point now. We are there and it is clear we are making great progress. Iraqis are complaining about electricity and education not about death. I can only see bad things if we leave early.

We are close to establishing a democratic country in the middle east. That's a good thing. You can argue we shouldn't have been there in the first place and you won't get any return argument from me. But pulling out now will only send an invitation to Iran and Al Qaeda and every terrorist/militant group out there that it's open season on Iraq. You will then witness a feeding unlike anything else in the middle east on a weak Iraq. Like vultures ready for the opportunity to prey on a sick cow they will line up for the opportunity to fill in the vacuum. And make no mistake about it if we pull out before Iraq can defend itself that is exactly what will happen. This is more than a U.S. Security interest in Iraq but is immoral on so many levels to the people whose lives we made vulnerable by creating this weakened state.

So yes I understand everyones complaint against the war. And desire to stop it while we have our own crisis to deal with here. But why the rush now when we can actually see an end in sight and the alternative would be inhumane. I also find some skepticism in an administration that seems to more concerned about mistreating terrorist abroad and releasing terrorist from Guantanimo Bay and has no problem leaving live born infants on tables to die. I hope somewhere along the way Obama corrects this dysfuntion in priorities but I have my doubts.

#60 Old Man Rock, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008