1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama dozed, people froze

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Feb 1, 2009.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Northfield is a nice town with two good colleges. Feel free to drop me a line when you come up to Mondale land. Weslinder can tell you I'm happy to have a beer with Republicans.

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

will do. btw, freaky stuff going on up there.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZhOW__RKx_U&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZhOW__RKx_U&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

pretty soon we'll have FEMA camps full operational (they've been created quietly for 15+ years) to house these people and others affected by the economic depression.

The introduced bill HR 645 National Emergency Centers (aka internment camps):
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-645

The camps also can be used to "meet other appropriate needs, as determined by the Secretary of Homeland Security." which is really nice and open ended. This could mean the detention of American citizens if there is rioting after an economic collapse or some other disaster. Camps are good though, I think they worked out well for the Germans some years ago.

"For your protection"

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They are internment camps? hahahahahahahahahaha. Based on what evidence? It sounds like they simply don't want them to go to waste when there isn't a natural disaster. How paranoid are people these days?

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

basso thread, truth is dead

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no kidding, I have to admit i'm a little dissappointed in basso, he doesn't understand, but he probably does, that this is a subtle play of the race card. but he is willing to go that routte that to criticize the president he's "willing to give a chance to".

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Interesting I hadn't heard anything about that rally but there were a few rallies both for Palestinians and for Israel during that time so that one might not have gotten that much coverage.

The Twin Cities has a large immigrant population but it doesn't seem like there is a large Palestinian population. There are a lot of Somalis and others from the Horn of Africa and when Ethopia invaded Somailia a few years ago there were fights between Somalis and Ethopians here.

8. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Why are they there in the first place, and why are there approx. 800 of them? Why did Halliburton get a huge contract to build them? Why do we have the REX-84 program and NSPD 51/ HSPD-20 executive orders that give the president power to declare martial law and suspend the Constitution for at least 6 months?

"For Your Protection"

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

They are there to act as centers for housing people who have to evacuate from scenes like Katrina, or Ike, or KY, or whatever.

That's why they were built. I'm sure you remember the SUperdome fiasco in NO after Katrina. Better to have a well maintained place for evacuees is the rationale behind building them.

That really doesn't have anything to do with why the President can declare martial law.

There is just as much evidence to suggest they will be used as a toy store in the off time as there is to suggest they will be internment camps.

That is such an off the wall assumption to make. It's hilarious.

10. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

I think the point of the thread is how little the president has to do with emergency situations like this.

I mean you cannot make FEMA respond faster if their plans and entire existance is utter garbage. We in Houston saw how crap FEMA is once they were merged with Homeland Security.

11. basso

Supporting Member

criticizing Obama is a subtle play of the race card?

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The President doesn't directly have much to do with on the ground emergency response but he does have to do with the overall direction of FEMA since he appoints the director and top staff. GW Bush wasn't directly responsible for problems with Katrina but Brown was his appointment and since he even praised Brown while he was doing a poor job showed bad judgement on the part of Bush for making that appointment and also a lack of awareness of what was going on.

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

14. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

I put less blame on the leadership of FEMA and more on the fact they were drawn into the Homeland Security. Which was a GWB move that just created bigger government.

15. basso

Supporting Member

praising Brown in the midst of a crisis shows bad judgment? don't think so, and it's probably the most effective way to manage the crisis in the moment. unless there's someone else who can step in on the spot, firing brown during the relief effort, while perhaps good political theater, probably would have endangered more lives.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

There is no in between?

1. Don't hire an unqualified Brown in the first place.

2. Don't praise him. That doesn't mean he has to fire him on the spot. He could say "there will be a thorough review once we have all the facts." Yet for some reason you present only two options as if that is all there is.

3. There should have been someone who was ready on the spot to step in who was more qualified than Brown(who Bush hired in the first place).

I'm still baffled that people thing evacuee centers are actually being built as secret internment camps.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

let me help you out

18. basso

Supporting Member

you need one of these:
    [​IMG]

just like in the administration, there's a mirth deficit in the d&d.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

why do you think your little title brought up white supremecy sites. see the point is this, and btw, trader_jorge already pointed it out. the media doesn't care about poor white people in kentucky freezing, and the fact that a black president was slow to respond to their crisis. but the media was all over bush, for letting a bunch of poor blacks drown, because no one cared about their condition.

that is the point, it amazes me that you ignore this when you peruse this wingnut sites. you ignore the total point they're trying to get across.

20. basso

Supporting Member

i don't peruse the wingnut sites, unless of course you include the d&d.

so saying bush doesn't care about black people is fine, but saying the same about white people re Obama is somehow beyond the pale?