1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama doesn't command respect in Asia. Getting clowned by the Philippines and China.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Sep 6, 2016.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2. hlcc

hlcc Member

McArthur's "triumphant return" to Philippines after losing the Philippines in large parts to his inept strategy.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I visited the Macarthur Landing memorial a few years ago. While the surrounding area hasn't developed much, It's honestly pretty cool and folks remember his promise.

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Duterte learning that he is now playing in the big leagues...

Philippines’ Duterte discovered this week that his actions have consequences

My money is still on a coup before this guy's term is over.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I post sporadically and work concerns have kept me off the board since this was posted but wanted to get back to it because it's a good question and a really good, substantial, and respectful debate (something in very short supply here).

This is obviously a topic that is near and dear to me because of personal and professional connections to the region I would like to think I have a decent amount of knowledge there but I the State Department isn't emailing me (if they are Wikileaks please forward it to me. ;)) so don't take this as expertise just my own personal opinion. Asia is very important and the US pivotting to Asia in general isn't a bad idea the problem I have is how that pivot is framed. If it is framed as containment of the PRC I think that is inherently problematic and doesn't even serve US interests in the long term. I don't want to sound like I'm a PRC apologist and I think a few posters have taken my views as such. I understand they are an authoritarian state with an atrocious human rights record that is criticism I would apply to them. What the I think the US should do though is apply some soft power and realpolitik to the PRC. We need them for a lot of issues, such as dealing with NK. Instead of confronting them we should be reminding them everyday of the several issues which are mutually beneficial including issues where we appear to be at loggerheads. For example from the PRC perspective they fear if they don't act in the South China Sea that the US and others will use it to contain them. Unfortunately this is bolstered that much of current US policy does actually talk about containing the PRC. What I would do instead is remind them that that freedom of navigation is mutually beneficial to all parties and the best way for the PRC to keep access to international trade routes is through respecting them. While the PRC might want to continue it's dubious claims to most of the sea instead of military confrontation I would try to convince them to work out joint development deals with the ASEAN nations and essentially pay off those countries as they've done before.

On some level I believe the US is trying to do this but it is hampered by rhetoric from both sides and in some ways it is politically beneficial for the PRC to play up the idea that foreign powers are out to bring China to her knees as they did in the 19th C. and in the US to stand up against Chinese aggression towards US allies. That part there problably isn't much to do about. The main thing to remember is that for as much bluster as the PRC makes they know a war with the US would be suicidal and a war that neither side could win without so much damage to the victor that it might be hard to tell who actually won. For that matter even a trade war would be devestating both countries economies and the global economy. We're too interdependent on each other and that's something we're going to have to deal with.

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Does Trump command respect in Asia? Europe? Australia? North America?

Getting clowned by US allies, What an embarrassment!

edwardc likes this.
  7. WNBA

WNBA Member

"70 kids salute trump" google it .

8. Dei

Dei Member

Philippines President Supports Trump, Warns Countrymen in U.S. Illegally He Won’t Help Them

Filipinos in the U.S. illegally have been warned by their own president back home not to expect help as the Trump Administration looks to begin cracking down on illegal immigration.
    Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte insisted that “out of respect” he supports President Trump’s immigration policy — even as it has been mischaracterized as a “Muslim ban.” Duterte went on to warn his countrymen abroad to follow the law in their host nations, according to the Philippine Daily Inquirer .

“To Filipinos (in the United States), you better be on the right track. If you are not allowed to stay there, where you are staying, get out because if you are caught and deported, I will not lift a finger. You know that it is a violation of the law,” Duterte said on Monday morning.

“If he has policies to protect his country, I will understand … So out of respect, I will not interfere,” Duterte added.

Duterte went on to say that he was open to some policy of allowing refugees to settle in his own country.

“In the name of humanity and God, we’ll have to make some adjustments,” the Philippine President said. “If there is a compelling reason for us to offer sanctuary, I’m one of those who will say OK to those who have nowhere to go.”

The Island nation has a history of welcoming refugees with concerted efforts. Most recently the country allowed some 3,000 “boat people” from Myanmar and Bangladesh to settle there.

Still, the Philippines does not have a wide open door policy. The last international row over immigration occurred in 2015 when then President Benigno Aquino refused to accept refugees processed in Australia.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...ent-warns-countrymen-u-s-illegally-wont-help/

That's how countries should have a relationship - with a respect to each others' laws. **** Mexico.

9. Buck Turgidson

You are a despicable human being.

edit: and I mean that in the nicest possible way

Amiga likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump already might be the worst president in U.S. history. Has it even been a month?

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I'm Trump will sort all of this out in his tweets.

12. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

You have issues.

13. Dei

Dei Member

What's the problem? I made a pertinent point replying to some guy claiming Trump isn't getting respect from Asia as well a comment about how countries should respect each others' laws.

14. adoo

adoo Member

yip, trump doesn't command respect in Asia.

after 3 weeks in office, the Orange Duce's latest action---re-affirming the "one-China" policy on the eve of Abe's visit to the US---suggests that

for $650 Million, he will kiss China's ass

#174 adoo, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

PHILIPPINES PRESIDENT DUTERTE SAYS HE WAS ONCE GAY 'BUT I CURED MYSELF'

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has claimed he was once gay but “cured” himself of homosexuality in controversial remarks made during a trip to Japan.

According to Rappler, a Filipino news publication, Duterte mocked his political opponent Senator Antonio Trillanes IV by saying his movements show he is homosexual. Duterte also reportedly “confessed” that he was gay before he met his ex-wife Elizabeth Zimmerman.

"Good thing Trillanes and I are similar. But I cured myself," Duterte said during a speech on Thursday, Rappler reported. "When I began a relationship with Zimmerman, I said, this is it. I became a man again."

https://www.newsweek.com/philippines-duterte-gay-cured-homosexuality-comments-1440433

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

Don’t forget about all of South America,Africa.

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

Might be your kidding right he makes the last 4 potus look like they were on point and top notch.