1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama and gun control

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Landlord Landry, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

I'll also address this little gem they have again

They clarify with
    Once you expand the definition of AP ammo it will certainly be banned. Their doubts about it being called handgun ammunition is incorrect because of the precident with the rifle round of 7.62x39 being banned since ONE handgun was made to use it.

This is the current definition. All ammo meeting this criteria can (and has been) be specifically banned at the will of the AG.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

McCain is also a total douche on this subject.

He wants to change the laws of how people can buy and sell guns once they step into a gunshow. With this new law it would be legal for an individual to buy a gun from a non-dealer everywhere unless they are inside of a building where a gunshow is taking place.

So it would be legal to sell it in the parking lot but not inside the building. And he claims this would "close" a loophole.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

No - you are missing 2 key points

1. he only voted for this with respect to UNREGISTERED Handguns

2. The making of it into an "affirmative defense" does not make it "illegal" to own or use a handgun as you put it.

Rather, in the even of a criminal trial after the use of an unregistered handgun - it simply shifts the burden of proof. This means that defendants w/unregistered handguns charged w/murder must now prove by what I am guessing is a preponderance of the evidence standard that self defense applied. (I assume - safely - that it was previously on the prosecution to disprove it by a much harder reasonable doubt standard).

So yes it places more of a burden on unreg'd gun owners in a murder trial to make their case of self defense - how you get this into making handguns illegal is not explained by you, and from your response I gather it's becausue you didn't know what you were talking about.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

So you deny he supports the ban of handguns? He has a survey in 1996 and 2003 where he said he supports such bans.
    On the other point, you are right I am not sure about the exact details of what it does in a criminal trial but the language of the law could say it is allowed under these circumstances
    a.
    b.
    Also if the gun is found under any occasion you didn;t just use it to save your life, it is certainly illegal correct?

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Because Rifles are also Armor peircing weapons there was no leaway with this. Like I said blame the cops.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

No they are not. There are levels of vests.
    Some stop handguns some stop rifles some stop frag.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

the question is which one policeman where how much does it cost and how effective are they

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

police wear the one that stops handguns, they are moslty required.

they do not wear the ones that stop rifles or cars or lightning because those weigh to much to write traffic tickets in.