1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama administration to allow recreational mar1juana laws to stand

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Aug 29, 2013.

1. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

So you should be anti-alcohol as well right? Of all my friends from HS, anyone in trouble with the law is alcohol related. Anyone who had to get treatment was alcohol related.

I just think the benefits outweigh the negatives, financially speaking. It is all perception. Cigarettes, alcohol, and hell even fast food has ruined peoples lives.

2. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

its kinda ****ed up, but really its not..

if we're worried about passing progressive legislation because it might cause 1% of people to mess up their lives then so be it.

natural selection lol

3. SexyButIgnorant

Lol, as a matter of fact, I'm pretty anti-alcohol, i don't drink and i go out of my way to convince some friends to stop drinking. Some uncles of mine are drunks, it's not very nice. But first off, I thoroughly despise arguments where weed is compared to alcohol. Keep it in the playing field, instead of saying weed is entitled to legality cause alcohol is, simply prove why weed should be legalized on its own merits. And at that point, the arguments get pretty hazy.

I get that it would become a financial benefit for the government, it would undercut dealers, but looking at mar1juana at a purely financial level is a mistake. Some like to argue this, but it's a gateway drug.

But i don't know, i think my biggest argument for legalizing mar1juana is: have you been on it? I mean, c'mon. It's fun but it severely affects your behavior, your mind and your relationships. Having potheads smoke it more, or introducing a new generation to it is gonna ruin some futures. I mean, someone's gotta operate the heavy machinery, amiright?!

4. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

it affects behavior, your mind and your relationships.. in a positive manner when taken with a correct mindstate.

when people begin using it as a crutch for life then it manifests negatively.

some ppl smoke everyday but its still not a crutch for them. its all in the mind state.

its illegality is what leads to people not knowing its essence and how its used.. leading to ruined futures. having it be more commonplace and accepted in society is the only way to attenuate that

5. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Let me preface by saying I do support legality, but I am no means hardcore pushing for it.

I disagree about comparing with alcohol. Both are drugs, both were legal and illegal. It is actually remarkably similar to how the 21st amendment came about, grass roots movement. I would have to read about there arguments for alcohol since I obviously wasn't alive...maybe ill get back to you on that haha. I'll end by asking why should alcohol be legal? It really became legal again for the same reason people want weed, they enjoy it and disrupting the crime surrounding it. But i'll go ahead and throw it out.

Consumed or vaporized mar1juana has medical benefits. This HAS been abused by people who want to smoke weed, but there is legitimate research on actual benefits. But does mar1juana need to do anything for you to be legal? Arguing about financials is definitely not a mistake. We know all the arguments, taxes, jail costs, court costs...no need to go in detail about them, but isn't this a positive?

I think you are wrong about potheads smoking more. If people now want to smoke weed they are going to, as much as they want. Does legality make you want to try it more? Not really. If someone wants to smoke they will regardless of its legal status.

Sure you get impaired, but why would people get high at work? Just because you can do it does not mean it will be allowed, like alcohol.

6. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

^Ignore grammer, speeelling im tarded and on fone.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm way too late in responding -- Labor Day weekend and all. But anyway...

The president choosing to enforce or not enforce isn't bypassing democracy. I don't think it's completely square, but it's in his purview. If it's wrong, Congress can impeach him for forsaking his duties (with about as much chance of success as the House passing legislation).

As for embrassing the House out of office, Obama's already tried it with the jobs bill and the sequester, but has had a very hard time trying to get voters to hold their own congressmen responsible for their bad behavior. If he can't get that strategy to work with a jobs bill, it won't work for anything. Especially not mar1juana which is pretty polarizing.

So, what you're suggesting is actually pretty complicated (how to get voters to hold their reps to account on anything), and pretty hard (how to convince voters that legalization is the way to go). What you are suggesting would be hard even if Democrats controlled both halves of Congress. It's impossible as things stand right now. But, if you can carve a foothold in a couple of states, you can set a model to show the rest of the country that the country will not spiral into chaos under legalization. That builds the groundwork for national legislation later.