1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama administration to allow recreational mar1juana laws to stand

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Aug 29, 2013.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm usually jaded like this, and I agree with your distaste to Obama's practice of choosing to not enforce legislation that he doesn't like, but I think you're completely wrong here about motives.

One, Obama doesn't care so much about his poll numbers. He can't get re-elected, and his actions don't really reflect on Clinton anymore. He seems to me to care more about his legacy.

Two, proposing legislation is ridiculous. We've been down that road. House Republicans will not pass anything Obama supports. And, you can imagine the outcry if Obama proposed legalization legislation. That's a complete non-starter and a red herring of an argument. He takes executive action because the House will always block him on legislation.

Three, he's faced with a policy quandry that there is a national policy of a war on drugs (which isn't going well) that is now in conflict with the desire of several states to legalize. Most drug enforcement is done at the state level and below and feds only really can and should be involved in international and interstate trade. So, should the feds be in a constant conflict with state governments over the enforcement of laws they don't want to enforce? Maybe they can invalidate the state laws, but it really is state domain and the state should have the right to set their intrastate drug laws.

Four, since he likely doesn't himself believe in the efficacy of the ban on mar1juana in the drug war, the war is being lost anyway, some states have a solution they think will work and it should be the states' rights to implement, but he can't pass any legislation through Congress (especially something that would turn ugly quickly like this), what else can he realistically do? Trample states rights to get no benefit? Champion federal legalization legislation that will never get passed and only incite all over again the accusations that he's a communist muslim trying to destroy the nation? I think it's an elegant solution and a sincere states rights solution to allow states the space to govern themselves without indicating an endorsement of mar1juana nationwide.

2. Raven

Raven Member

It's not a sin if you don't inhale.

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would you tell that to a member of the Rastafarian church who sees mar1juana as a sacrament?

How does the legal distinction of man influence what is a religious sin? Are you comfortable with the legal status of alcohol and tobacco or, because they are also inhibiting/addictive substances, do you wish to see their use curtailed?

4. Major

Major Member

Do you believe all sins should be illegal?

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

This is not an argument for bypassing democracy. It's an argument for electing a new House.

The truth is Obama could meet with Rand Paul and Justin Amash and they would gladly sign on to a mar1juana decriminalization bill. Then you take this bipartisan agreement to the public, and if the House obstructs, you make the case to throw them out in 2014.

It's not complicated and requires minimal effort. But with Obama it's some combination of incompetence, laziness, and his general contempt for his political opposition.

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

About time .

7. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

stick to the WNBA, WNBA

8. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Are you high ?

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Rand Paul agreeing to work with Obama on a mar1juana decriminalization bill.

He has to be high.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Obama is too lazy and incompetent to make a case to throw out House Republicans based on obstruction of mar1juana decriminalization. Winner!!!!!! :grin:

11. WNBA

WNBA Member

Yesterday, I was cheering for the executions of the drug dealers.
    This morning, I felt sorry for Odom's drugged life.

Now I am shocked by the reality and this new low of our humankind.

12. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

well its a good thing people with your viewpoint are dwindling in positions that matter.. and society in general

13. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Ok I hope you are not serious...

I don't want drug dealers on the streets and they ruin peoples lives, but this is way too far.

Imagine, you hate weed, now that you can only buy it from a government run store, A la alcohol, you take money out of drug dealers hands, prevent drug deal related crime, and make it harder to get in the hands of minors.

I am dead serious when I say that it is MUCH easier to obtain mar1juana as a minor than it is alcohol. Also, the mar1juana dispensaries offer weed at a much lower price than dealers, they would be priced out.

14. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

^ to add. Look at alcohol. Booze smuggling was the major mafia operation of prohibition. Does organized crime deal with alcohol at all? Besides dumb@sses buying booze for teens, do people have liquor dealers? Alcohol is no longer profitable on the "black market" and I see no reason that the same would not be true for weed.

Should you be an everyday hardcore smoker? No. Everyday hardcore drinker? No as well.

15. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

well everyone has their tolerances.. some ppl do this just fine and function well

16. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

True, function properly in a corporate environment, but I can't say you would be BETTER off. The same could NOT be said for alcohol.

17. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

high cbd buds wouldnt have people stoned at work

1 person likes this.
  18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

not sure if serious.

19. treeman

treeman Member

I wish they'd just push for full legalization (of mar1juana, that is). This is just asking for a few lawsuits from those states that want it enforced.

It's long overdue.

20. SexyButIgnorant

I'll always be against any type of legalization of ganja. I know it has different effects on different people, but when you've seen it bring the worst out of a loved one and completely change their life like i have, i wouldn't want that to happen to anyone.