1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

O' Riley blasts illegal Mexicans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Stevie Francis, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Stevie Francis

Yeah a few days ago he said he want to tighten up the border to stop leting mexicans cross it so easily. He said he hates the fact they are bring the nation down. And the U.S people have to pay for their well fare and stuff like that.....He had some good points i think illegal immagration needs to stop. Cause people ar epaying money for these people, and some of them just live off it. And they have the highest high school drop out rate in texas. In a way some of them are free loading, and most of them are good citizens.

2. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Edit-Sorry

3. Stevie Francis

4. lpbman

lpbman Member

I consider myself pretty conservative but

O'Riley is nothing but a firestarter...

like the Geiko commercial... he's all about this... not about that
    what does that get ya? *Whistle*

yeah we should just line up our tanks along the 1000 mile boarder Mid-East style and blast them back to Mexico

they don't make the rolleyes big enough

5. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Well, it is illegal immigration he's against. Are you in favor of it?

6. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

They should do this....there is a reason why its called illegal...

7. lpbman

lpbman Member

the resources required would be silly

really... have you ever driven to California?

it's just too much ground to cover... it just is

wrap your mind around the distance for a minute.. it just can't be done with todays tech

maybe a fleet of balloons with cameras or something... but O'Riley wants to militarize the boarder... NOOO... Pot would be too expensive

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

How 'bout a Bill O'Reilly forum on the BBS?

"The No Spin Forum"

9. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Do you want to legalize everything else that is illegal?

10. lpbman

lpbman Member

oh... was that out loud

11. Major

Major Member

the resources required would be silly

really... have you ever driven to California?

it's just too much ground to cover... it just is

wrap your mind around the distance for a minute.. it just can't be done with todays tech

It would be fairly easy with a ridiculously high (and solid) fence. Sometimes the simplest approach is the best. Of course, water is still an issue there, but you could seal the border itself <I>if we really wanted to</I>. There probably would be other consequences, of course.

Immigration does need to be controlled to an extent. The problem is the ease of travel between countries. Right now, its pretty easy to drive across the US/Mexico border on the main roads without an ID. Just say you're a US citizen and off you go.

12. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Maybe we should open the border to Mexicans.

Anyone know our population numbers? I remember a book called Birth Dearth dealing with our shrinking population.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well I am.

Why do people keep telling me What O'Reilly thinks anyway? I would think I could avoid him entirely if I just didn't tune into his program, but it's just not the case.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Well you could also not click on a thread with his name in the title.

15. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Yes, then O'reilly can leafblow his own driveway, clean his own toilets, and wash his own restaurant dishes. Those jobs are in high demand for unemployed REAL americans.

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

The main reason we haven’t militarized the border is it would be another huge blow to the economy. It allows us to purchase far cheaper food, clothes, houses, roads, and on and on. That is why some many fiscally conservative politicans will talk tough about illegals but ultimately not strike at the source (demand for labor by corporations and smaller companies). Further, illegal labor is a huge boon to most US citizen's--especially the middle class and wealthy (now if you are in a trade or typical union job it might well work against you--if this is your reason against it, that it depresses blue colar wages by making goods and services cheaper for everyone else and making corporate profits greater--you have a point here). The economic benefits legal Americans get on average far exceed the public costs--any legit economist like Greenspan can tell you this. Immigration (infusions of cheap labor as well as skilled and technically sophisticated workers from other countries) is also the chief reason our economy is expected to continue to grow relative to other industrial countries (many in Western Europe) and has been one of the most important guiding ideals that lead to America’s wealth and prominence.

Also, just to correct some total misrepresentations-illegals (and even some “legal” immigrants) are prohibited from receiving any form of social security, Medicare (the first two are by far a biggest social expenditures), Medicaid, or welfare. There are serious burdens on emergency health care systems that need to be addressed--but this is more do to the system of how we deal with all uninsured persons in our nation, which is why this isn't just a problem in communities with a high proportion of illegal aliens though the blame is often shiften on them anyway. The other major public expenditure is for education of school children—but it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that not providing a education to children in your nation (legal or not) isn’t a wise public strategy.

Also, about semantics. Sure "illegal" workers are "illegally" doing all the work we want done at a fraction of the costs we would pay otherwise. But note if you oocasionally speed should we identify you as foremost an "illegal driver", if you are a jaywalker I guess you are an "illegal driver", if you smoke a joint or drink if you are 20 you are an "illegal consumer", if you fib a few dollars on your taxes you are an "illegal tax evader". So if you want to make a big deal about these workers and border crossers being "illegal"--I hope in all fairness you to first take a look at your own life to make sure you are all strait with the law first.

17. mav3434

mav3434 Member

well said DS.

18. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

If U.S. is going to put a military front on the border, might as well just invade and occupy Mexico, annex it into the union, and then all immigration would then be legal... problem solved... Has everyone forgotten about our Manifest Destiny? The world would be a better place if I was the president.

#18 OldManBernie, Aug 29, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2002
  19. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

D*mn Desert Scar... pretty savvy.

If anyone complains about the mutually beneficial relationship, where the 'illegals' assume all of the risk...including their lives at times...they should consider paying a few more thousand for their homes, a lot more for groceries, at restaurants, etc.

This one-sided approach to 'illegals' has led to wacko teenagers in camouflage with rifles in California 'hunting' them on the border like they are sub-human. :mad: How embarrassing for US.

I have worked with Mexican nationals since I was 12 and have the utmost respect for their work ethics and family orientation. Many spend years away from home (others return home for Christmas) to support extended families back in Mexico. Almost without exception, my experience is that they work extremely hard without complaint. We are lucky to have Mexico as our neighbor, and few states benefit as much as Texas and California.

Es verdad. Muchos gracias, amigos.

20. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Did I read that right? You're in favor of illegal immigration?

What other laws do you think we should just ignore?