1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

O.J. Tossed From Steakhouse on Derby Eve

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by famicom, May 9, 2007.

1. famicom

famicom Member

Anybody else see that this is a little wrong? Isn't it a little f**ked up or is it really justified? Reading the comments on the article just made me realize alot of people trully don't like him..

Link

The owner of an upscale steakhouse in Louisville said he asked O.J. Simpson to leave his restaurant the night before the Kentucky Derby because he is sickened by the attention Simpson still attracts.

"I didn't want to serve him because of my convictions of what he's done to those families," Jeff Ruby said in a telephone interview Tuesday. "The way he continues to torture the lives of those families ... with his behavior, attitude and conduct."

Simpson, an NFL Hall of Famer and Heisman Trophy winner, was found innocent in 1995 of killing his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and Ron Goldman but was found liable in a civil trial that followed.

Ruby — who owns restaurants in Cincinnati, Louisville and Belterra, Ind. — said Simpson, who was in town for the Derby on Saturday, came in with a group of about 12 Friday night and was seated at a table in the back. A customer came up to Ruby and was "giddy" about seeing Simpson, Ruby said.

"I didn't want that experience in my restaurant," Ruby said, later adding that seeing Simpson get so much attention "makes me sick to my stomach."

He said he went to Simpson's table and said, "I'm not serving you." Ruby said when Simpson didn't respond, he repeated himself and left the room.

Ruby said Simpson soon came up to him and said he understood and would gather the rest of his party to leave.

Simpson's attorney, Yale Galanter, said the incident was about race, and he intended to pursue the matter and possibly go after the restaurant's liquor license.

"He screwed with the wrong guy, he really did," Galanter said by telephone Tuesday night.

Ruby said the incident had to do with Simpson's past.

"It was the first time since 1994 he has ever shown any class," Ruby said. "He showed it that night in the restaurant" by leaving quietly.

Ruby said after Simpson left, people in the restaurant started applauding him. He said he has received about 100 positive e-mails since the incident.

The walls of Ruby's restaurants are decorated with celebrity photos. A photo of Simpson and Ruby used to be on display, but Ruby said he took it down after the killings.

2. Cesar^Geronimo

It seems like this is walking a very thin line.

What criteria is o.k. to use to kick people out of a public place?

What slippery slope does that create? Will people then use those "legitimate" excuses to discriminate?

Personally, I would have felt the same way he did and would have been tempted to do the same thing -- but I'm not sure that's really right.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

But it wasn't a public place. It was a private business. Isn't it a right of every private business owner to decide who they will and will not serve? i.e. Augusta not letting women be members.

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Is it unreasonable to not want a murderer dining with your valued patrons?

I'd be right there with the others in giving the owner a standing ovation by kicking Orenthal out of there.

6. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

yeah, i think the owner can do whatever he wants. he hates oj, why should he serve him? unless you think people shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against brutal murdrerers.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

But I am not sure you can say I don't want to serve anyone with a criminal background? Can you?

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I saw this on Mike & Mike.

What's the difference between refusing to serve OJ and refusing to serve blacks in the 60s? I hope OJ's lawyers put this guy out of business.

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

If he doesn't tip, then you must out kick.

10. updawg

updawg Member

that was probably a costly move on owners part. I bet OJ sues, especially after its received this much attention.

11. Cesar^Geronimo

I'm not sure this is true. Can an owner of a resteraunt decide he doesn't want to serve blacks, or hispanics, or orientals, or red heads or jews? What if someone reminds them of a terrorist?

I would not want to serve him either but I'm not sure what's legally right?

Any lawyers here know? What right to refuse service is legal?

12. thegary

apples and oranges. oj doesn't remind one of a murderer, he is a murderer.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I found this quote funny. What is OJ gonna do when he gets mad. :eek: Ok. Just kidding.

I never understood why people could not forgive OJ, when he was in fact acquitted by a jury of his peers. Americans hold their justice and court systems in such high regard versus other parts of the world, and people second guessing and blatantly disregarding official edicts seems hypocritical.

14. thegary

damn yer right brightsides. me and the wife are always looking for new babysitters. he's unemployed right.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The difference? One is a reaction to the actions of an individual and the other is a reaction based on skin color that applies to all people who happen to be black, whether the killed someone or not.

If you're in a cafe in Argentina and a German walks in, no big deal. If Mengele walks in, people will probably have a reaction based on what he has done in life, not the physical characteristics of old age.

I'm not saying the guy was right, but I am saying OJ and blacks in the 60's are not the same.

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Is it true that you can kick someone out as long as it is not based on a speicific criteria like color, race, gender ...? I mean if other black are welcome in the restaurant, is the owner ok? We have many lawers here, I am sure someone can provide an answer.

17. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I know some people who are banned from certain bars...

18. famicom

famicom Member

Exactly, he screwed with the wrong guy? What did he do? Go dine at his restaurant with 12 people..then left after being told he wasn't going to be served. I could understand if he threw a fit or came in teh restaurant with a grand entrance but that didn't happen.

19. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Isn't the "We Reserve the Right To Refuse Service" sign on pretty much every establishment nowadays?

20. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

That was a quote from OJ's lawyer, not the steakhouse owner.