1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

O’Brien wants a quarterback to be “a partner in the offense”.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 7, 2014.

1. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

Oh look the plebs hate manziel cause their own lives are pathetic!!1

All the guy did was win the Heisman as a freshmen and left it all out on the field..but yea that doesn't sound like him...

lulz

2. platypus

platypus Member

I certainly don't hate Manziel, I just feel that Bridgewater is a better QB and fits BOB's description to a T.

Manziel is gonna be Tebow 2.0 in terms of the hype around him. I don't want that roadshow coming to our team and mucking up chemistry. Sure Manziel may have won a Heisman, but that does not mean he will amount to anything in the NFL. The only 2 heisman winning QB's that come to my mind in recent years that had moderate success in the NFL are Cam and RG3.

I also find it humorous how Bridgewater detractors harp on his measurable (height, weight) but simply overlook the same problems with Jhonny. Not to mention he also has problems with consistent footwork, and has yet to prove he can command a pro-style offense where fun progressions are a must for success.

It doesen't matter though, when someone one brings a legitimate argument against him all we get are "lulz u guyz are hating..." or "i say we draft clowney" (a prospect who has more red flags in terms of effort and attitude than i can remember)

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

How old are you? I'm genuinely curious to know.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

If the thread topic is about O'Brien wanting his QB to eat-sleep football, why wouldn't people bring up Manziel being a party animal? This isn't clutchfans standard, this is the coach of the Texans standard.

I don't know anything personally about Manziel or Bridgewater or any other QB in the draft, but from all reports O'Brien's description fits Bridgewater MUCH BETTER than Manziel as of now. Sure, this can change in the future. Manziel can become more mature and be a film room junkie. Bridgewater may slack off his intensiveness after he's been paid. No one knows the future.

But right now, Bridgewater > Manziel if you base it on this interview.

5. Raven

Raven Member

Maybe the Texans want teams other teams to think they are seriously considering Bridgewater unless they get a sweet offer to trade down. To kill any hopes the Jags have of him still being on the board when they draft?

6. Remii

Remii Member

I'm not reading too much into O'Brien saying he wants a quarterback to eat and sleep football or whatever. Especially coming from a coach who specifically said he sends his coaches home and he goes home and when he's home _ he's home... But with that said _ I'm sure that description fits many of the QBs in this draft. I'm sure alot of these guys work hard and do what they need to do off the field so they can play better on the field. Just because we don't see articles about it doesn't mean they don't.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Sure, fine. There is nothing wrong with hyping up the guy projected to go #1. Either we truly like him, or someone else truly likes him at which point the value of the pick goes up. We can't go wrong either way.

8. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

More than anything, I want whichever QB we sign to be highly successful. I just hope that QB winds up being Manziel. Dude is electrifying on the field and the fans here would love him. He's got a competitive spirit few other players have. I don't buy into the narrative that he has off the field issues. JFF actually seems like a good kid. However, I'd be extremely surprised if they actually picked him, especially with the #1 overall pick.

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Lance just said that a former GM friend of his told him that he has little doubt that Bortles will be the #1 pick.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Jerry Angelo. He said Johnny would be his choice but he thinks Bortles is more of the type of QB O'Brien wants. Size and high IQ.

Lance also said he doesn't see the Texans falling in love with Teddy. Lance talked as if Teddy wouldn't even be considered.

11. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Also the George O'Leary connection. Bortles' coach at UCF who is also BOB's longtime mentor.

I've decided I just gotta wait until the combine before I can zero in on who I want. If Manziel tests through the roof, I'll probably have to change my tune on him. I've been against drafting him from day one but the more I think about it the more intrigued I get about him if he can hold up physically.

Now will McNair be the type of owner to tolerate Manziel's social media persona and his playboy antics? I have serious doubts about that.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Coach does not want a qb that has sex! Must store up the little swimmers to cause more focus to football!

P Manning is still a virgin!

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

People are overestimating what BOB means by this idea. He does NOT believe in coaches or players taking football home with them and having no life. He has said as much in many interviews. He believes that players and coaches should be 100% about football during football hours, but when you walk away from the game and go home you should turn it off and be 100% about your family.

14. MystikArkitect

Newsflash....the elite at their professions aren't party animals who stay out late binge drinking with chicks draped all over them. In the NFL there is no "once it's Sunday he'll be ready" B.S. It takes 6 days of dedication, overtime, focus and hard work to prep for one NFL football game. During such game you will be required to read, decipher and manipulate the opposing defense. This not Johnny, this is not Jameis, this was not Tebow, this was not Jamarcus, this was not VY. These Quartberacks *dont work* in this league.

15. htown1984

htown1984 Member

that just plain dumb to even think that the Texans will not consider Teddy.. Why would he think that.,. Teddy is considered the No # 1 QB, and the Texans will not consider him... doubt it..

If the choice is not Teddy than i want Manziel, I definately dont want Bortles, especially with the NO # 1 pick..

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If we draft Bortles as the QB with the #1 pick, i think im just gonna burn all my texans gear...

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

How is Tebow getting thrown into the mix?

And it's not like Tom Brady was sitting there at Michigan on Saturday nights going through the playbook...he was a college kid having fun and partying...maybe not to the extent of Manziel, but that's also bc he wasn't ever on the stage like Manziel has been.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

[​IMG]

19. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Manziel is either receiving the bong or passing back said bong after taking a hit. Notice the strewn about whataburger cup, whatasized to satisfy a stoner appetite, and the lone boat shoe, both staples of the college stoner apartment.

20. Remii

Remii Member

They probably will... I'm just telling you how it seemed Lance was talking. And Lance doesn't feel about Teddy, like alot of fans on this board. But he's not the GM...