1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

O’Brien wants a quarterback to be “a partner in the offense”.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 7, 2014.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

BOB could have said he wants a black QB that played for Louisville and wore #5, and there would be someone here that says "yup...totally Manziel".

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Anybody can, the question is will they?

Just because you have a past doesn't mean you can't succeed. But if you can't put that past behind you and leave it there, you're probably going to end up tripping over it again in the near future.

It's not always finding God that makes you change your ways, sometimes self realization is just as good.

3. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Your right I have already acknowledged that Bridgewater may be in fact more dedicated/focused than Manziel, but that does mean Manziel ISN'T dedicated/focused as many on this board of indicated.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Calling Manziel and Manning imperfect in a similar sense is ridiculous. They don't belong in the same sentence.

It all goes back to OBrien's comments on what he's looking for in a QB. One of the criteria was decision making, and that was off the field as much as on it. It's not to say that Manziel won't ever grow to acquire to requisite level of maturity to lead his team; it's that he doesn't have it at this point. Bridgewater does, and it's night and day between the two. Why take that gamble when you don't have to?

The writing's on the wall folks. You think McNair will risk it too with his track record? Please. These Texans shy away from that stuff, they may even take Manziel off their board altogether (not that it would make a difference with us having the first pick).

This debate will rage on the entire offseason but to me it's already been decided. We're just keeping the suspense going by not showing our hands.

5. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Peyton Manning and JohnnyManziel both play quarterback. (their names in the same sentence)

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So I get up and go by my friend's office who is an Aggie.

We go over all of the scenerios that can play out as far as the draft is concerned.

I bring up some of the concerns I have with Manziel besides his height. He says his cousin works at some bar called Hookah Station. He said his cousin told him that Manziel was his "best customer." Always out drinking. I know, cool story bro. Take it fwiw.

7. Remii

Remii Member

Well I agree with your list and agree it could have been alot longer. And Ray definitely belongs on the list. Now if it was a list about right or wrong and morals _ different story... I think young guys like Kapernick and Russell belong on that list as well... Especially Kapernick. Russell was already spoken highly of and I believe he was a baseball player and was already married showing his maturity. Kapernick was a skinny dude out of Nevada. He's put in alot of work over the past couple of years.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let me simplify it for you. Don't talk about **** you aren't qualified to talk about. It makes you look stupid. The best example of this is the Comcast thread where granville has tried for 35 pages to lecture a couple of practicing bankruptcy attorneys on the finer points of the law.

Maybe we can lower the bar a bit. How about this: Median household income in 2012 was $51,107. If you earned at least the median amount, you are qualified to discuss hard work.

Presumably, if you draft a QB, #1 overall, the goal should be for him to be one of the 4 or 5 best. I respect the hell out of how difficult it is to be that elite. I wouldn't presume to hunt down Payton Manning and tell him that he's working too hard, and should smoke a j or two every day and relax and that it won't affect his performance at all.

#88 Ottomaton, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Although I agree with your opinion on both Kap and Wilson I stuck with the names I mentioned since I was looking at perennial All-Pro team selections and I don't believe either have been selected to one, as of yet.

Haven't seen 2013s list.

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Are you qualified to talk " **** " about qualifications? This is a slippery slope. The only way I will listen to you is if you are top 5 in the world in talking about qualifications.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

12. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

Talk about looking stupid.

I agree with your premise, but setting monetary thresholds for "discussing hard work" is ignorant. My mom doesn't meet your requirement, but that woman taught me everything that there is to know about hard work.

BTW...it is Peyton Manning. 95% of the members here can spell his name correctly. You are in the bottom 5 percentile and no longer qualified to discuss Quarterbacks.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My misspelling would be an issue if I were correcting other people's spelling, which I would not presume to do, as I am aware of my own limitations in that regard.

I guess as long as you don't try to lecture others on the finer points of critical thinking, we have no problems.

14. So Good

So Good Member

Bridgewater sounds like a guy that eats, sleeps and lives football.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/02/teddy-bridgewater-2014-nfl-draft/

O'Brien is definitely looking towards that direction.

Manziel a few things going against him...one he parties too much (hanging out with Drake and going to big parties), undersized and comes from a spread offense.

I can almost bet you that Teddy is working on his game right now preparing for his Pro-Day and interviews. Johnny is out at clubs and having fun in California.

I'm no Johnny Football hater...he's been one of my favorite college players to watch in years but I just don't see it at the next level.

15. Remii

Remii Member

My bad... Didn't read your post thoroughly. Thought it was a list of guys who work hard.

16. makman

makman Member

There you go assuming again. What makes you think that I or anyone else here is unqualified to discuss whether a qb can enjoy his free time? I rarely tend to engage in online debates about these sort of things as it proves pointless, but your elitist mentality along with the asinine justifications needed to be called out.

Since you've "lowered the bar" and money seems to be your basis on whether a person works hard or not, should everyone here state their annual income prior to posting to satisfy Ottomaton's $51,107 minimum. Peyton makes million and is the best, can't tell him what to do, but go ahead and presume job status and bank statements of strangers on a free discussion board and tell them they are unqualified. Should I list all the jobs I believe require hard work that are below the median? But that would just be me further talking **** I know nothing about.

I asked for you to simplify it for me...what exactly do you do that makes you so successful to look down on others? Surely you must be in the top 5 of your profession worldwide, way above that poor person's median, giving you no issue in putting me in my place. The finer points of critical thinking have eluded us all on Cluthfans and need your expertise.

1 person likes this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Whoever We draft will have the O'Brien's approval and that's good enough for me. That said, Bridgewater is often compared to Wilson because of his football IQ and work habits. Sounds like a Bill O'Brien guy to me.

..but Don't count out Bortles.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Are there other NCAA quarterbacks besides Manziel?

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Does Keenum not even have a chance at being BOB's guy?

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

Interesting question. No one, or at least few are considering that option. Could Keenum's game be tweaked or is he fundamentally flawed at the pro level? I don't know, but BOB will.