1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

O’Brien wants a quarterback to be “a partner in the offense”.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 7, 2014.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Tracy Mcgrady says hi.

2. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

This doesn't defend JM, and generalizing and likening the work ethic of the whole league to JM doesn't make sense either. Not everyone in the league is Jacoby and McKinnie. Your proposed bet only supports the argument that TB is a more dedicated/focused prospect than JM.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, I think that Manziel is very capable of calling his own plays and audibles at the line, he is very bright and just "gets it".

It is hard for me to say whether Manziel or Bridgewater has a higher football IQ because you picked the two smartest QB's. If I had to answer right now, I would say Manziel.... but I suspect the exacting, constant, disciplined study of Bridgewater combined with his high IQ will ultimately give him a higher football understand. Also, do not forget that Bridgewater had a lot more responsibilities than Manziel on a down to down basis. I KNOW that Bridgewater can call plays, and make adjustments and call audibles. I THINK Manziel can based on watching him play and how well he sees the field.

4. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I could see Ryan Mallett being an option over Bridgewater and Manziel

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm willing to be you can count the number of guys in the NFL with this attitude as perennial All-Pro team members.

Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Aaron Rodgers
    Drew Brees
    Ray Lewis
    JJ Watt
    Luke Kuechly
    Patrick Willis
    Adrian Peterson
    Andre Johnson
    Calvin Johnson

etc. The list usually consists of guys that have over dedicated their time to their craft, especially since they know that's what it takes to be better than the man across from them on the field.

6. sammy

Good post and I thank you for taking the time to break it down.

This makes me feel better, but I'll maintain that it'll be Teddy B in May. :grin:

7. makman

makman Member

Wow... So where do I start, so success in your opinion is being one of the 5 best in the world at your profession? What exactly do you do and what's your rank. And if there's people working harder than you than I guess you're not in that top 5 and therefore unsuccessful. You don't know anything about the people on this site, other than we just happen to be fans of Houston sports, so assuming makes you look like an idiot. And if that Starbucks part time pothead just so happens to be the number 1 barista, I guess he's a success and therefore can tell others how to be successful by your logic.

1 person likes this.
  8. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Hope Not. Why not just draft the best QB avaialble.. (This guy although been in the league a while has not played many games, and therefore makes him a risk as well.
    Also wouldnt you have to pay him next year, i think thats when hes rookie contract is up, and at the moment we are not set-up to pay this guy.. Patriots will probably want a couple of 2nd rd's and we are also not in the position to give away draft picks..

9. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good god these MOFs are annoying already. Bridgewater fits that description way more than Manziel. You have to be looking through some seriously maroon colored glasses to think otherwise.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I love how you put Ray Lewis on that list. Manziel could easily have a come to jesus moment and become just as great as him don't you agree?

11. Nook

Nook Member

In college he locked on a receiver and was dumb as a door nail.

Anything is possible.... people felt that Steve Young, Vinny Testaverde, Rich Gannon and others just didnt "get it" and through hard work all showed the ability to adjust and read defenses at an elite level (especially Gannon).

12. sammy

A very good list besides Lewis and you can clearly see a correlation there in what type of character it takes to become elite in the NFL.

Our team has a couple of others like this. Duane Brown seems to fit the bill. So does Cush and even Kareem Jackson is known to be a very hard worker.

I do feel like we have enough good guys in the locker room that it really shouldn't matter so I'll concede in this discussion.

13. htown1984

htown1984 Member

LOL.. This... Very True..

to be fair i dont think even Obrien/Texans knows who hes taking.. i wish i could take a look at their board(which is more and likely not even 5 % done :)

14. Nook

Nook Member

I think it will be Teddy B as well, and I believe that he will be a very good QB because of what is going on above his shoulders.

15. sammy

That post was utter jibberish so I didn't feel the need to reply but I'm glad you did. LOL.

16. Granville

Granville Member

He's reaching for his penis pump.

17. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

LOL @ "sounds like Manziel"

Nothing about that sounds anything like a QB coming from Kevin Sumlin's offense.

1 person likes this.
  18. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

While I wouldn't be opposed to Manziel...

O'Brien's comments clearly scream Bridgewater. The only way you think otherwise is if you're an Aggie fan. Everything he said is what scouts say makes Bridgewater such a fascinating prospect.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I feel like Ray belongs after the whole murder thing, he dedicated his life to helping others, finding god, and becoming the best MLB there ever was. Which production wise he arguably achieved.

I was going to but Duane Brown and others like Ogden, Birk, Mankins, and Gross but I didn't want to go too far with my list.

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

No way this describes Manziel.

No way this DOESN'T describe Bridgewater.

Not saying that O'Brien can't feel it describes three or four quarterbacks on the draft, but I'm just saying I can't Manziel fitting that mold, and I can't see Bridgewater not fitting that mold.