1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

O’Brien wants a quarterback to be “a partner in the offense”.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

What I expect and what O'Brien wants is a QB that takes his preparation and profession seriously. A good analogy is one Steve Young often uses, 'it's like getting your law degree.' O'Brien wants a QB that can be empowered to audible and call his own plays, something the Texans have only dreamed of so far.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Legitimate question. Who has the higher football IQ? I'm thinking it's Teddy B.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Just admit having an Ag leading your team would piss you off. :grin:

Pray Sammy, just pray because it sounds like what you think O'Brien wants is just hoping, pleading and praying.

4. sammy

We have Aggies on our team. I was happy with the Bullock pick :eek:

I got my money on Teddy B and I think that's exactly what's going to happen.

5. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

I agree with all of this and I dont see anything here that disqualifies Manziel. Sure Bridgewater might be better and in that case he should be the selection. But to follow up with the Steve Young analogy: can a Law Student not go out for some beers?

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

2000 Chris Weinke / Florida State / Quarterback
    2001 Eric Crouch / Nebraska / Quarterback
    2002 Carson Palmer / USC / Quarterback
    2003 Jason White / Oklahoma / Quarterback
    2004 Matt Leinart / USC / Quarterback
    2006 Troy Smith / Ohio State / Quarterback
    2007 Tim Tebow / Florida / Quarterback
    2008 Sam Bradford / Oklahoma / Quarterback
    2010 Cam Newton / Auburn / Quarterback
    2011 Robert Griffin III / Baylor / Quarterback
    2012 Johnny Manziel / Texas A&M / Quarterback
    2013 Jameis Winston / Florida State / Quarterback

Just as a response to you stating, "comparing Heisman Trophy Winner to a bunch of nobodies". Not saying he will be but dating back from the year 2000 most of the Heisman winning QBs have been a bunch of nobodies.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Every time I read one of these comments about the QB enjoying "free time" and separating work life from private life, I picture a 26 year old college dropout sitting in mom's basement, bong in one hand, lighter in the other, typing between hits, still wearing the apron from their 30 hour a week Starbucks part time job.

Maybe you should have to actually have success before thinking about telling others how to be successful. I seriously doubt anybody posting here is one of the 5 or so best in the world at their profession. I do know that the people who are more successful than me in their professional life generally work a hell of a lot harder than I am willing to do.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Teddy definitely fits the bill of being a student of the game more than Manziel...That's not a knock on Manziel, but he just seems like the type that really cares about the game when he's practicing or on game day, but when he's home or he's away from the game, he does his own thing.

Teddy, on the other hand, sits there and puts his playbook into Madden so he can practice his college plays on a video game.

I'd be fine with either Teddy or Johnny with the 1st pick...but if I had to place a bet, my money is on Bridgewater being the choice at 1-1.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

What? You don't think a team should be concerned with something like that? Especially with such high pick...

10. smr6

smr6 Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...ion-to-nfl-has-left-him-without-a-girlfriend/

11. Major

Major Member

That's a reasonable point of view, but it also disqualifies all of us from discussing anything regarding coaches, players, draft, etc of any NFL, NBA, or MLB team, unless there are former professional players or coaches on this board.

12. sammy

Pretty much sums it for me.

I've heard stories about MJ partying and then killin it on the court the next day. He was an exception to the rule. Guys like TD, Lebron and Kobe don't party very often or at all.

I'll mention Brady, Peyton, Luck, Brees, Eli, Rivers, Rodgers again. It's pretty easy to see what the elite quarterbacks have in common. I never heard of Kaep or Cam partying, drinking a lot either.

Hakeem. Yep.

JR Smith clearly stated that his game got better last season once he stopped going out. He's a poor example bc he has low bball IQ but you all get my point.

#52 sammy, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I wouldnt call him an alcoholic.

I see a kid in college. A kid who's pretty much living a dream, going to a huge school, dominating the national football scene, having girls throw themselves all over him, etc... He's just having fun. I'd be doing the same.

Can it hurt his image? Sure...but his play on the field has improved, despite his crazy "alcoholic" ways. Im sure teams will cover that topic with him during interviews, but I dont see it as being an issue.

If the Texans like what he brings to the field, then I really dont see anyone caring about him partying and getting girls when he's 18/19/20.

14. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

15. smr6

smr6 Member

I'd say 1 finger. JJ is unique. Never seen anyone like him.

I don't have a horse in this race btw, I just enjoy reading the debate but the comment reminded me of this article so I had to post it just to show how awesome JJ is!

16. Nook

Nook Member

Higher football IQ? That is actually a very good question. Manziel has a TREMENDOUS football IQ, his issue is not his ability to understand football and see the field, his issue is that he lacks the kind of preparation, discipline and cautious, exacting approach Bridgewater has.

Over time that exacting preparation, coupled with a natural aptitude pays off... you see it in QB's as they age and grow.

17. sammy

Fair enough. So you him as someone that can call audibles at the next level.

But you didn't answer the question technically. Is it higher than Teddy's?

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Maybe AJ as well. Just great professionals and that's what I think the fans want. Clean dedicated hard workers and Bridgewater seems to fit that bill.

19. htown1984

htown1984 Member

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is true for most professions, but it's not the same for an athlete.

I'm not saying athletes don't have to work hard, because obviously that is stupid. But there are plenty of athletes that have been blessed with insane natural abilities, and while they may have to put work in the gym, they don't put in nearly the type of "hard work" that people who are less successful than them do.

1 person likes this.