1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

O’Brien wants a quarterback to be “a partner in the offense”.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 7, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

This.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This times one million.

Apparently, I'm losing it for saying the same exact thing in another thread.

3. sammy

A lot of players smoke. That's not the point.

The red flag is being dumb enough to get caught. Guys with these reputations are me first players. I want a team guy. I want a Star Wars nerd like Andrew Luck.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What does this even mean?

If JFF wins no one will care.

5. sammy

It means that he's a "Ima do me" player.

Tyrann Mathieu and Janoris Jenkins were had later in the draft and their teams hit. We tried that with Sam Montgomery and the Rockets did the same with Royce White. That didn't end well.

We're talking about the first pick here.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Wow...you just compared a Heisman trophy winner to a bunch of nobodies. That season wasn't a fluke, he is a very special talent not a potential upside pick.

Btw, the QB position is a position that requires the most individual confidence, skill and improvisation in all of football.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I understand your logic. If... And I'm saying "IF" Manziel fits that mold, then there are some huge red flags there. Main one being that he hasn't been humbled yet. There hasn't been that one incident that you can point to where he approached that "fork in the road" and chose football over foolishness. You don't want to use a first overall pick on someone who needs to or hasn't learned that lesson.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

On another note, as a Rox fan, I am trembling at the prospect of JFF partying with Harden...

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I have never questioned JFF's football skills, I question his preparation and how he spends his downtime... like some of y'all have said, He doesn't strike me as a guy who is going to spend all week thinking about what he can do to become a great QB.

But who knows (none of us do!!!), maybe he can be great at the next level, I just don't see Bill picking him as his guy to start out his career with... to much risk involved.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

That description very well could be talking about someone like Manziel but it absolutely screams Teddy Bridgewater.

11. sammy

Since you brought it up, Mathieu was a heisman finalist. You do realize that?

12. REEKO_HTOWN

Does Manziel have a drug problem?

13. sammy

They both smoke weed. I don't see it as a problem. Like I said, being silly enough to get caught is the red flag. It screams immaturity and you better believe that he will be asked about it in his interviews.

Get high. Work out and study film. Fine by me.

Get high and then drink at the club throughout the week. Not fine by me.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He might. He had to be sent home from a summer camp because he was too hungover. Alcohol is a drug.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

Does he have a problem? The honey badger had a legitimate problem. He could not function without mar1juana. Getting pictures taken of you with a bong does not constitute having a drug problem. You know what a red flag is? A sophomore slump and guess what? Manziel only got better.

16. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

I just dont understand what the board expects. It sounds like they want a football player who does nothing other than study film and work on his game and ABSOLUTELY nothing else. That player does not exist. Even the gold standard of studying Peyton Manning has a life outside of football. Just cause you dont see it on TMZ or ESPN does not mean it doesnt happen. The coverage of Manziel's so-called "antics" causes the masses to believe that this guy leaves the practice field then immediately parties until the start of next practice. That idea is ridiculous. To me what a guy does in his free time is his own business cause he is allowed to have a life outside of football. I dont care if thats drinking at a bar or being a Star Wars fan. What matters to me is does that player devote enough time to master/improve his craft. In this case enough does not equal all

17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Manziel could be an alcoholic, i mean I'm sure people have told him being caught partying is bad for his image and could hurt his draft stock, yet he still does it. And thats when you know someone has a problem, when they can't stop even when they know it effects their lives.

18. sammy

At the end of the day, O'Brien will make a decision based on a lot of things. Maturity is a big thing for me and it is for our coach. Excuse me for not getting a woodie when I saw him do the money sign or whatever that is after touchdowns.

I think it'll be Teddy B.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh, Jesus man.

20. makman

makman Member

I have to disagree I think he has been humbled. Early in the year and last year you saw a guy constantly taunting opponents and making gestures, sitting with a towel on his head ignoring teammates. As it progressed, he helped opponents up, congratulated them, shook hands, and was always trying to fire up his team. While I agree there are huge red flags and huge risk, his potential to energize a franchise and change a game at any time may be worth that risk.

He won the heisman as a freshman and became a national sensation with the spotlight always on him. So he likes girls and partying, I think any 20 yr old in his position would do the same thing if not worse. He did improve and does work on his game and that's evident in his arm strength, accuracy, and pocket passing. If he's lazy and doesn't care about football enough and still did the things he did, well then when he does mature he should be on another level.