1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYTimes] The Jordan Hill Corollary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MourningWood, Jan 12, 2011.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This report has trade Jordan Hill written all over it.

2. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I COMPLETELY agree with this article. No haters, I dont dislike Hill and am not mocking him - but where some people see "limitless" potential in his game, I see a guy who does play GREAT for not really playing til he was 17... but its hard to teach a guy whos already about finished with high school because as we all know... once we grow older we dont learn as well and as fluidly as we did when we're young. We're not as moldable and spongy, and there's something in his game that bothers me. Its not the dumbness of a Stromile Swift, but there is an awkward clutziness about his movements and positioning.

He is raw and he "could" get a lot better with patience, who in the long run how many "professional" teams are going to take tons of time trying to teach a professional basketball player HOW to play basketball? The man can make his own shot, but in positioning he either turns it over or over/under-shoots the ball, but in transition or in a broken play he will aggressively take those points to the basket of course.

Personally I just feel he is only going to be a solid bench player for his career. If he does better, awesome! If he does it with us? Awesome-er! Its just a gut feeling tho. If he focuses on his strengths he may get his rebounding up and avg 10-10, but I dont know if he'll ever be fluid enough or high enough in his court-awareness to be legitimately offered a lot of playing time and score crazy pts.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Look as a sign of hope, Hakeem looked like Hill during his time at the U of H, at least early in his career.

But Hakeem got better by playing at Fonde.....tons and tons of games against other pros......

Jordan would need that kind of dedication to his craft to get to a very high level (Not Hakeem level)....

It is all up to him....and how much time he puts into it.

DD

4. OkayAyeReloaded

From what I've read, this is the exact same process he went through in his development as a college player in Arizona.
    From draftexpress, his NCAA and pro prospect analysis at the bottom of his profile page:
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jordan-Hill-1222/playerblog/

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hill and Patterson are going to be the **** next year.

6. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

the way i see him, jordan hill is just good enough for our squad. i dont expect much.

7. OkayAyeReloaded

Also, I agree with the article's points, it's pretty much on point for his game at this stage in his development.

I still think with continued work, he'll be fine in 2-3 years (A decent if not solid big man).

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have to disagree with the comparison to Hakeem early at UH. What I see with Jordan is indecision. You could see it in the last game, where there were moments on offense where he just stood there. Yes, he stood there for just a moment, but a moment, as you know, can be a lifetime on the court. Jordan simply looks at those times like he doesn't know what to do next. "What do I do now? Oh yeah!" By the time of "Oh yeah!" the potential play has passed him by. We're both seeing the same thing Hill is doing, I'm sure, and both hope he will learn to automatically make the move, with or without the ball, that Adelman's offense calls for. Dream, early at UH, at least as I remember him, did the opposite. He never just stood there. He charged ahead at full speed, often doing the opposite of what Coach Lewis was wanting him to do. Same problem of a lack of knowledge about the game, but a much different response.

9. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

ummm, Interesting points, He is developing but he needs another year or two to be effective.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Got to hide these articles or Hill's trade value is going to drop.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I agree with this article. I never understood the ranting and raving about his athleticism. Being a gifted athlete and being a gifted basketball athlete are two totally different things. Sure, Hill has a pretty good vertical and runs well for a big but his hand-eye coordination is bad and he has a “herky-jerkyness” or robot-like movement that prevents him from executing a lot of moves in the post. I wouldn’t be surprised if Hill’s speed and vertical leap are as good as young Hakeem’s but when you watch both of them play it is laughable to even suggest they are equal athletes.

It’s painful for me to watch the guy but even more painful when people compare his pre-draft stats with Amare’s. He just doesn’t have physical tools to be a great basketball player. He can be a serviceable backup on a good team and starter on a bad team but that’s it. That’s his ceiling IMO. I’d move him yesterday if a decent deal presented itself.

12. delta69er

delta69er Member

I hope the Rockets coaches are making Jordan watch LOTS of film to help him with his "awkwardness" on the court. To some players, the "knowing" of where to be on the court comes naturally, to others, it takes a while for them to get it, and of course there are the ones who never get it. Let's just hope that with repeition Jordan can become the star that he was speculated to be.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I agree with the point of the article, but I would like to point out that Dikembe Mutombo had an awkwardness to his game that he never got rid of. He managed to be really effective despite that. Basketball is a beautiful game, but some players that "play ugly" can still be positive contributors and even stars.

14. rju1986

rju1986 Member

Teach him a little soccer in the off-season, to help with his footwork and to keep him moving haha

..but then his mind would probably lapse and he'd forget how to play basketball.

15. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Actually, I think this is why Patterson at this point in his developement has a waay higher ceiling than Hill. Patterson doesn't have that "awkwardness" and seems to have a very natural timing and feel for the game.

16. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Except he has not been given the starting spot over Chuck. He is starting because Chuck is hurt. Everything else I agree with. Let's hope some of the awkwardness will go away with experience and better footwork.

17. drankupinmycup

I think he still needs another 15-20 lbs on him, in addition to continued "movement development" on the court. Get to a point where you can at least hold your ground at the spots on the floor your comfortable before you can take the next step. And getting to that natural looking movement around the paint only comes with time. You can study and be taught from the best day in and day out, but bottom line he won't look comfortable out there until he actually is, and that's where this current awkwardness / lack of coordination comes from.

Sidebar: Going against Scola in practice may actually be hurting him, because Luis' game is so unorthodox. Maybe matching up against Pat daily will help.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I was talking about his awkwarness in regards to his athleticism...

DD

19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Hill will be fine its gona take a little while but hes gona be fine, didnt hakeem start playing basket at almost 16, he was good but he didint win anything until he was almost retired, by the way does hakeem charge to get with players to teach them a few things if not why woulndt hill do it... maybe he charges alot

20. van chief

van chief Member

yea thats the story, he didnt start playing untill college.