1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYTimes on EG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I was married to someone with depression ... and had to learn how to work with it for many years.

Unfortunately, its a very tough handicap, since other's can't see their wound, yet they are seriously wounded, nonetheless. I wish the Rockets had hired someone with appropriate knowledge, because with proper therapy and medication, it can be totally overcome.

I wish that the Rockets had not given up on him. I think he will be a star one day, and everyone will look back and say, "Why didn't we ... "

It was obvious we needed to give special treatment to Ming, because we saw he didn't know the culture, etc. I think that there is additional work we must make whenever we bring in someone young like that, or someone from another country. It's just part of the package. Some make it, some don't. But, when you have that expensive of an investment, you ought to do what it takes.

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The Rockets are not to blame for any of this. Would anything have been different for Griffin if NJ had drafted him? I mean, his MOTHER was living in Houston, for God's sake. Not to mention the fact that he flat out refused to go to counseling.

I think the real reason he's gone is because JVG found him to be lazy, especiailly after he had already messed up BADLY. He just didn't show up for a team flight, remember? So they suspend him for a few games. THEN, he doesn't show up for PRACTICE. They suspend him indefinitely this time, and try to get him into counseling. He refuses, and goes and busts some caps at some crazy w****. The man may get jailtime! What are the Rockets supposed to do? What kind of "diciplinarian" would JVG be if he sends the message that you can skip flights (games!), practices and beat on women just as long as you have emotional problems, and the Rockets will take care of your messes? How was EG helping the team by forcing them to worry about them constantly?

And oh yeah, let's not forget that when EG WAS on the court, he SUCKED. Constantly jacking up his flat-ass 3s like he was Dirk Nowitski. Who didn't cringe when the guy got the ball? You could FEEL the brick coming. Yeah, he could block, but not any better than a backup center playing his position. Eddie Griffin was a bust for the Rockets, from any angle.

Sure, I hope he gets less miserable with life, but at least he isn't making the ROCKETS miserable anymore.

3. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Hey EG, I have some words for you:

BE DONE

BE GONE

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

agree with Dak and Sherlock... really wish we hadn't given up on him....... there is always something else they could have done... :(

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Think this way. Had we invested same amount of resources and attention on Eddie as we have on YAO, would we still have lost our starting PF?

6. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Deep down inside, I think we all wish EG good luck. But for those of you saying the Rox should have provided more (guidance, oversite, help, supervision, whatever) where were you two years ago? He could have used help then.

To use hindsite to dis the Rockets now is just another form of being a front runner.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

IIRC, Cato also had depression problem. Nothing directly was said about it. But I remember there were one article early last season that said that Cato was taking up responsibility to deal with "it" and his teammates were very supportive and helpful.

That was the turning point of Cato's game. Remember when Cato was seen as lazy and unmotivated? Many people assume that Cato's transformation last season had something to do with Yao's arrival. I think it was the treatment of his depression problem.

If Cato were under JVG back then, he might have been let go too.

8. Panda

Panda Member

I suspect lazyness causes mental depression. Cato was lazy and he said he's depressed. Vin Baker wasn't your hardworking blue collar worker, and he was depressed. Of course, not that lazyness is the sole cause for depression. If that's the case with Eddie, good luck NJ!

9. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Good read. I hope it works out for Eddie.

10. Sane

Sane Member

Kenyon Martin's weaknesses year 1:

- Lack of aggressiveness

- Lack of strength.

- He's 6'9.

- Can only block shots and is a physical specimen.

- Was 22yrs old.

- No jumper

- Too much foul trouble.

If you ask me, Griffin is a perfect fit in New Jersey. Jason Kidd will make him look great, he'll be less overmatched in the East, he'll be playing against backups, he'll get the ball when he's open, and his shotblocking will be essential to the team.

I definitely think he can do anything K-Mart can do except SHOW the same fire. Having the original K-Mart will go a long way in uncovering that fire from within.

11. Sane

Sane Member

Actually, Self-centerdness is the cause of depression. Ask your local psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist.

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

What else could they have done here? Hire someone to be on call 24 hours to change his diaper & breast feed him every 4 hours? The mistake was in flushing THREE No. 1 picks for this loser. If he matures and plays well for the Nets then boo-hoo, that's what happens when you have incompetent dumbasses running your organization. The Nets saw a fool and a sucker in the Rockets and they took full advantage which is what WINNING organizations do. That's why the Nets have been in the PLAYOFFS the past few years while the Rockets have been at home watching the PLAYOFFS.

All this angst over EG is giving me heartburn. It really doesn't matter what he does or doesn't do because he'd conclusively shown that he wasn't ever going to do it HERE. End of story.

We now return you to your 2003-2004 NBA season...

13. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

I feel for him however, he shows no sympathy for the Rockets org. His family should have done a better job not the Rockets. The kid needs to take responsablity for his actions.