1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYTimes: Griffin gets a chance w/ T-Wolves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basso, Oct 24, 2004.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wondered what happened to him...

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/23/sports/basketball/23knicks.html?oref=login

--
    Griffin Can Hear His Clock Ticking
    By PAT BORZI

SIOUX FALLS, S.D., Oct. 22 - Since leaving home in Philadelphia as a heralded high school basketball player, the stops for Eddie Griffin have been brief and volatile.

One year at Seton Hall, where he punched a teammate in the locker room after a game. A year and a half with the Houston Rockets, where he encountered legal troubles. And less than a month with the Nets, where he entered alcohol rehabilitation before playing a game.

After completing an alcohol treatment program this summer, Griffin, 22, emerged determined to get on with his once-promising basketball career. The Minnesota Timberwolves brought him to camp as a free agent, a 6-foot-10 reclamation project in a black headband.

"I know this is my last shot," Griffin said, "and I want to give it my best shot."

So far the results have been encouraging. After the Timberwolves' 102-82 victory over the Knicks on Friday night at Sioux Falls Arena, he is averaging 8 points a game - sixth best on the team - and 5.4 rebounds, third behind Michael Olowokandi and Kevin Garnett.

Griffin had 4 points and 3 rebounds before leaving the game with a sprained left thumb.

"The biggest change I've been working on is being more serious about the game, being the first one on the court at practice and the last to leave," Griffin said. "I just can't take the game for granted. That's why I was getting in trouble. I wasn't working as hard on my game."

Instead, Griffin left a trail of squandered potential.

In his year at Seton Hall, playing alongside Andre Barrett (eventually a free agent signed by the Knicks), Griffin led the Pirates in scoring and rebounding. But the season turned sour after Griffin punched his teammate Ty Shine after a game with Georgetown in Washington.

After the season, Griffin declared for the 2001 N.B.A. draft, and the Nets - who took him with the seventh pick - traded him to Houston, where he made the all-rookie second team.

But Griffin could not stay out of trouble. As a Rocket he was arrested on charges of mar1juana possession and assault. Both are misdemeanor charges. He has a three-game suspension from the N.B.A. pending for the last conviction, which he will serve if he makes the Timberwolves.

Waived by Houston 11 months ago, Griffin was signed by the Nets but sought help for alcohol abuse and depression before he could be activated.

Kevin McHale, Minnesota's vice president for basketball operations, considered Griffin's history as well as his ability when he visited Griffin in Houston last summer. The Timberwolves, who lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference finals last season, needed scoring and rebounding help behind Garnett. McHale thought Griffin was worth the risk.

"You can call it a gamble; I call it a second chance," McHale said. "The guy has worked very hard the last six or eight months to make changes in his life. If he gets his life together, his basketball will be fine."

Griffin, who can play inside or outside, says McHale - a Hall of Famer and one of the premier low-post players in N.B.A. history - has been especially helpful with his low-post game.

Griffin was among the first Timberwolves on the floor before the game Friday, and after a few minutes McHale rose from his courtside seat to show Griffin a power move, bringing the ball strongly across his body to set up a shot.

"He's been showing me a lot of little things," Griffin said. "I've been here a month, and I've picked up so much."

Barring a trade, Griffin stands an excellent chance of making the team, even if all 11 Timberwolves returning from last season are healthy on opening night. And no one is rooting harder for Griffin to make it than McHale.

"I like Eddie," McHale said. "I'm pulling for him more as a person. He's a nice kid. I want him to succeed."

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I hope he does great in Minn. I'm just tired of hearing about him.

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

But then we'll hear even more about how we lost him, and didn't give him enough chances. I hope he just does okay, and becomes a role player in the mold of Joe Smith. Then maybe he can fade away on this board.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why do so many people HOPE he will do okay.

I guess it is mean to wish for someone to fail, but at the end of the day, there are so many spots on NBA rosters, and I'm sure there are a lot better individuals out there who could be screwed out of a spot cause Eddie Griffin may decide to put some effort in a few times a week. Just my opinion.

5. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This, in a nutshell, is what pisses me off. Just once I would like to see some big time pampered baby pay back the full paychecks he cashed while not giving full effort?

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Ideally, everyone who sometimes loafs around on the job should do that. Like when they're on this BBS when they should be getting work done ;)

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good luck to Eddie. Great situation for him. Having McHale teach him post moves instead of jacking 3s will do a lot for his game. I think Eddie will be in the Wolves 8/9 man rotation.

8. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Jeff, is there a way you can rewrite a script to automatically filter threads regarding E Griffin to NBA Dish. I honestly think EG is not so relevant to Rockets.

He has made it publicly known Rockets was a BAD fit for him.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How should he be treated when he come back to houston? :D

Rocket River

10. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

with boo's, of course...:cool:

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I dont see why this continues to be an issue with some here....this forum implies in its description that any topic involving past and current Rockets players is on-topic.

the mods have even said that threads involving past Rockets are permitted.

that said...

Im with Jeff....I wish him well...but am getting tired of hearing about him. Call it sour grapes if ya want....but considering how much we put out for him...if he is going to actually become a player in this league...it hurts that we lost that possibility without compensation for those picks.

12. rvpals

rvpals Member

I don't care about EG no more.

Come on, give this kid a break. He could do well in Twolves

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

People can talk about former Rockets if they want. Besides, I couldn't write a script to save my life. :D

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I don't wish him well. Even if he never plays in the NBA again, he got a big pile of money from the Rockets, so he's not that bad off. I'd just as soon he didn't help make the T-wolves better.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think he may be one that pans out, and we will regret not helping him with his problems.

I guess sometimes the best help is tough love, if he was continually codelled he may not have ever reached his potential.

Got to hit rock bottom sometimes.

Too bad it was at our expense and 3 1st round draft picks.

:mad:

DD

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Sort of what I feel. He's a troubled youth, I was sad to see him go but wish him the best. I think he can still become that monster we thought we gotten when we drafted him, but I agreed that cutting him was probably the best thing for both sides.

And yes it sucked we have to give up 3 1st round picks (though Les would've done that anyways to not give out 3 guaranteed contracts that would put us over the luxury cap).

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yeah, but c'mon Da. You're a business owner. You have an employee using drugs and getting arrested for taking shots at his girlfriend. He also happens to be a terrible underachiever at work and has even been known to not show up for work on occassion.

You are seriously going to tell me that you would put up with that out of an employee???

The Rockets were right in doing what they did no matter what becomes of Griffin and his career. They made a mistake in giving up their picks for him, but that is in the past. It's over. Keeping Griffin just because he MIGHT pan out would have set a horrible example not only for current players but for future one's as well not to mention fans who spend as much time complaining about the play on the floor as they do about the spoiled athletes who get away with everything just because of their talent. They gave the guy every opportunity to clean himself up and get his career going. He failed every test.

I hope he gets his life back in order, but the Rockets made the right decision no matter what happens from here on out.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Jeff,

No I agree 100% that the Rocks did the right thing, they had to let him go for the good of the team, and for Eddie.

However, I wish they would have given him a look since he was training in Houston.....

Ah well...que cera cera.

DD

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

DaDakota, It's possible that Griffin might become a good player for some other team but I do think we might be able to get a better PF in the future. For now J.Howard seems to be a good fit and Mo can score off the bench.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

As am I but now I think EG is more about getting paid than in really resurrecting his career.