1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYT] Trump Empire Built on Gifts & Tax Fraud

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Oct 2, 2018.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

and zero self awareness.

Invisible Fan and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]
    At the end of the day, he has gotten away with just about anything he wants for 40+ years. He has avoided prison, avoided poverty.

He will avoid any issues with his taxes and he will avoid impeachment.

Some people are just very good at doing what they want and only what they want.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. adoo

adoo Member

that will not be that effective; as in the realm of IRS regulations, the IRS can only go after the last 7 tax years since the last tax audit.

there is a work-around, predicated on the Dems gaining control of The House

the Ways & Means committee can request The Treasury, via the IRS, to release
    the last 7 Yrs of Trump’s tax returns. or the last 7 yrs since the last completed audit, as applicable.​

#84 adoo, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't know that. It was just what they were saying. Maybe they weren't surprised it worked once but that it had gone on for decades. Maybe that's not unusual either.

6. adoo

adoo Member

Congress repeatedly cut the I.R.S.’s budget, forcing the agency to reduce its enforcement staff by a third. But that drop doesn’t entirely explain the reduction in tax fraud cases.

Over time, crimes only tangentially related to taxes, such as drug trafficking and money laundering, have come to account for most of the agency’s cases.

Due to budget cuts, attrition and a shift in focus, there’s been a collapse in the commitment to take on tax fraud,” said Chuck Pine, who used to be the third-ranking criminal enforcement officer at the I.R.S. and is now a managing director at BDO Consulting. “I believe there are thousands of individuals who have U.S. tax obligations and are not complying with U.S. tax laws.”

The result is huge losses for the government. Business owners don’t pay $125 billion in taxes each year that they owe, according to I.R.S. estimates. That’s enough to fund the Departments of State, Energy and Homeland Security, with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration tossed in for good measure. Unlike wage earners who have their income separately reported to the I.R.S., business owners are often on the honor system.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/01/business/economy/irs-tax-fraud-audit.html

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Response time has gone to crap and the processing of paper returns has doubled. It has gotten awful.

8. mick fry

mick fry Member

Can we move on to the next Fake News?

John Oliver likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why? This real news bothers you? This article is incredibly well documented.

10. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I can see how it wouldn't seem real to a Russian troll like him. None of this affects the rubles in his pocket. However, for the Americans on this board this is an outrage that a family could get away with stealing hundreds of millions of dollars from the government and it's people.

11. biina

biina Member

also dodged the draft

pugsly8422 and Nook like this.
  12. Papa John

Papa John Member

The more fun part is people acting like this wasnt obvious from day 0.

Trump in a debate admitted to being 'smart' in his tax approach. The bigger tell here is that apparently doing illegal things makes you 'smart'

There is limiting tax liability (smart) and then committing tax fraud (not very smart) unless you are trump I suppose.

Good for him. I thought about making a quick buck selling drugs. Ive had the opportunity present itself. Im sure with minimal effort I could defraud some old ladies. Its just not worth it to me though. Not satisfying. I appreciate trading my time for a humble paycheck.

I think its funny when right wing radio goons try to talk about 'working' and 'work ethic' when the whole goal of tax thiefs and fraudsters is to do the least work possible. These guys havent worked a damned honest day in their life. Their definition of 'work' is a slap in the face to real 'work'

Reminds me of all the trust fund babies I know that do 'sabbaticals' in europe when they werent 'working' in the first place.

Their definition of work is so off kilter they wouldnt last one shift working the fry line at jack in crack. These people are completely deluded. In that sense I cant really blame trump. Same as when trump goes to a golf course and calls his buddies and calls that work.

That is trust fund baby 101 stuff

Invisible Fan likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have been thought by right-wing nationalistic propaganda to blame all your problems on immigrants. This is the same false dog whistle used by the Germans' Worker Party - except their target were the Jews.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's the thing though...if you read this article the whole "Trump's dirty but at least kind of a wily tax evading genius!" kind of **** that is popular with the Reddit/incel/dilbert crowd implodes.

His dad was the tax evading savant/hustler. Trump was just the goofball son who was the beneficiary because he was deemed not as big a goofball as the previous son. He was born into the racket and not nearly as smart about it as the real Don, Fred. Though he was as unscrupulous so...ok I guess?

It also explains quite a bit about how Trump is such s terrible dealmaker. The most telling bit was how even after using decades of fraud to inherit their father's fortune free of most tax, the Trump kids ended up accepting the first lowball offer that walked in the door selling it way below market.

Let's face it, Don seems a lot more like Don Jr's father than Fred's son, at least financially

B-Bob likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Evangelicals got his back.

Is he the Chosen One or something?

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I’m sure you think you are pretty much joking but coming from someone with fundamentalist evangelical right wing family members who constantly inundate me with their email propaganda, you are more accurate than you might think.

There are many many theories about how important of a figurehead Trump is in the “last days” (bs) prophecies.

Evangelicals often cite the biblical character David when referring to Trumps character and overall importance. David is right up there with the Virgin Mary in biblical importance.

It’s quite frightening actually how this large group of Americans 100% believe this is a man with biblical importance to their path to glory in the afterlife.

RocketWalta and Nook like this.
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The IRS can go back for fraud, but won't.

19. Buck Turgidson

I've done all I can at this point, and I've decided to just sit back and watch this whole horses!t show self-immolate in all of it's fiery glory.

20. Senator

Senator Member

When it comes to Amazon raising the minimum wage, it was very much a necessary business decision because Trump would have gotten aggressive with monopoly regulations if a hundred thousand of their workers were claiming fed benefits. The owner being worth 100 bil+, company worth 1 tril+... just made it easier to keep the PR coming out while attacking Bezos form of manipulation such as the WaPo. I don't know if you've read the WaPo in the last few years, but it isn't even coming close to the NYT or Economic Times in terms of impartial or accurate reporting. It's a slightly less vindictive HuffPo. Bezos knew time was up on him squeezing the bottom, he had to take a small hit to keep the big profits rolling in.