1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYT] Supreme Court Rejects Death Penalty for Child Rape

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ottomaton, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The seems like tailor made fodder for the D&D.

source

[rquoter]
    Supreme Court Rejects Death Penalty for Child Rape

By DAVID STOUT
    Published: June 26, 2008

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled, 5 to 4, on Wednesday that sentencing someone to death for raping a child is unconstitutional, assuming that the victim is not killed.

“The death penalty is not a proportional punishment for the rape of a child,” Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote for the court. He was joined by Justices John Paul Stevens, David H. Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen G. Breyer.

The court overturned a ruling by the Louisiana Supreme Court, which had held that child rape is unique in the harm it inflicts not just upon the victim but on society and that, short of first-degree murder, no crime is more deserving of the death penalty.

Justice Kennedy, while in no way minimizing the heinous nature of child rape, wrote that executing someone for that crime, assuming that the victim was not killed, violates the Eighth Amendment’s ban on cruel and unusual punishment, which draws it meaning from “the evolving standards of decency that mark the progress of a maturing society.”

“When the law punishes by death, it risks its own sudden descent into brutality, transgressing the constitutional commitment to decency and restraint,” Justice Kennedy wrote.

The relatively small number of states that allow the death penalty for the rape of a child demonstrate a “national consensus” against it, Justice Kennedy wrote. Moreover, he wrote, sentencing someone to death for raping a child could have terrible, unintended consequences, given the years that typically go by between a crime and the execution of the defendant.

“Society’s desire to inflict death for child rape by enlisting the child victim to assist it over the course of years in asking for capital punishment forces a moral choice on the child, who is not of mature age to make that choice,” Justice Kennedy wrote.

The dissenters were Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justices Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas and Samuel A. Alito Jr., generally regarded as the conservative wing of the tribunal.

Justice Alito wrote a dissent lamenting that the majority had ruled out executing someone for raping a child “no matter how young the child, no matter how many times the child is raped, no matter how many children the perpetrator rapes, no matter how sadistic the crime, no matter how much physical or psychological trauma is inflicted, and no matter how heinous the perpetrator’s prior criminal record may be.”

The dissenters rejected the majority’s reasoning that the small number of states allowing execution of child rapists showed a consensus against the custom. Justice Alito noted that some of those state statutes were enacted even while the constitutionality of capital punishment for crimes other than murder was in doubt — thus reflecting a strong feeling in those states that the ultimate penalty was justified for such terrible harm to a child, in the dissenters’ reasoning.

Not since 1964 has anyone been executed in the United States for a crime other than murder, and of about 3,300 inmates now on death row, only two are facing execution for an offense that did not involve a killing — and both of those inmates are in Louisiana. One is the man involved in the case the court decided, Patrick Kennedy, who was sentenced to death for the rape of his 8-year-old stepdaughter and the other is Richard Davis, who was condemned for assaulting a 5-year-old girl.

The case decided on Wednesday, Kennedy v. Louisiana, No. 07-343, does not overturn the defendant’s conviction. Rather, it returns the case to the Louisiana courts for resentencing.

Kennedy v. Louisiana was the latest in a series of cases in which the justices have weighed particular applications of capital punishment. In 2002, for instance, the Supreme Court barred the execution of mentally r****ded defendants, and in 2005 it banned the execution of people for crimes they committed before they were 18.

But, as Chief Justice Roberts observed when Kennedy v. Louisiana was argued on April 16: “This is quite different. It is focused on the nature of the offense.” Indeed, a theme that ran through the argument was that, while the death penalty is a punishment like no other, the rape of a child is a crime like no other.

In 1977, the Supreme Court banned death sentences for rape. But the victim in that case, Coker v. Georgia, was a young married woman, and the ruling did not specifically discuss the rape of a child. Over the past 13 years, several states have reacted to public outrage over crimes against children by amending their statutes to make the rape of a child punishable by death.

Louisiana was the first state to do so, amending its death-penalty law in 1995 to include rape of a child under the age of 12. But unlike Louisiana, the other states with similar provisions (Georgia, Montana, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Texas) generally limit the death penalty to defendants previously convicted of sex crimes against children.

Mr. Kennedy’s lawyer, Jeffrey L. Fisher, argued before the justices that it was “at odds with national values” for the state to execute his client, who had never committed such a crime before.

But Justice Scalia pressed Mr. Fisher on that assertion, noting that the recent trend has been “more and more states permitting the capital punishment” for the rape of a child.

As for the case at hand, Juliet L. Clark, an assistant district attorney from Gretna, La., countered that Mr. Kennedy, who weighs 300 pounds, had committed “a very savage rape” that caused serious injuries to his victim. And R. Ted Cruz, the Solicitor General for the State of Texas, who argued as a “friend of the court” on the side of Louisiana, said that Mr. Kennedy (like Mr. Davis, the other child-rape defendant on Louisiana’s death row) had “committed crimes that are just unspeakable.”

Responding to a question from Justice Ginsburg, Ms. Clark said the Louisiana child-rape law could apply regardless of the sex of the criminal or that of the victim.

And in support of her argument that crimes against children have long been viewed with special revulsion, and as deserving of special punishment, Ms. Clark pointed out that the Supreme Court ruled in 1990 that states can make it a crime to possess child p*rnography even in one’s home.

That ruling, in Osborne v. Ohio, carved out an exception to a 1969 Supreme Court ruling that the Constitution protects the possession of obscene material in the privacy of one’s residence. Justice Byron R. White wrote for the 6-to-3 majority in the Osborne case, reasoning that Ohio was justified in trying to “destroy a market for the exploitative use of children.”

Of the current Supreme Court, only Justices Scalia, Kennedy and Stevens took part in the 1990 Osborne decision. Justices Scalia and Kennedy were in the majority; Justice Stevens joined with Justices William J. Brennan Jr. and Thurgood Marshall in finding the Ohio law to be unconstitutionally broad.

[/rquoter]

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

It's easy to think how the death penalty isn't proportional when you're thinking about the subject in general...but any time you hear a specific case of child rape it's even easier to want them dead.

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm against the death penalty, but I think it fits child rape better than murder.

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I'd argue all rape should be punishable by death.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am against the death penalty in all cases. When you have someone imprisoned they are effectively removed as a threat to society. I am not an advocate of using the system to "punish" or "reform" individuals. Life imprisionment should be the sentence for someone who commits child rape.

And if you are for justice - what is better justice for a rapist then to be raped by someone bigger and stronger than them for the rest of their lives?

6. rhadamanthus

^^^^Against the death penalty but pro-torture. :confused:

7. Major

Major Member

I know this is isn't the argument the justices seem to be making, but I think the big danger with the death penalty in rape cases is the number of rape cases that end up in incorrect convictions. Many times, a rape case comes down to believability of the victim vs. the suspect and there is often limited physical evidence. And in the case of children, that problem could actually be exacerbated.

I don't have the study offhand, but I remember reading a study where they looked at the value of eyewitness testimony and the number of misidentifications where people swore they saw a particular thing/person but actually didn't was amazingly high. It's one of the least reliable sources of evidence, unfortunately.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

What if they like it?

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Eww...

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What is better justice for a child rapist than killing them?

I'm typically on the liberal side of things, but firmly believe in the death penalty in cases where it's warranted. I can't think of anything more warranted (other than premeditated murder) than raping a child.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I feel your view is very dangerous. There was a kid who went to jail for 2 years for getting a blow job. What if you have psycho girl accuse some guy of rape, and he can get the death penalty? I don't trust a judge of jury to determine the fate of a man. Suppose you have a black man of raping a little white girl. He might be innocent and he can get the death penalty?

#11 Air Langhi, Jun 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I wonder how many 5-4 decisions we're going to see now? This is one of those things where I would be against the death penalty, but if it were my kid, I knew the person was guilty, and they ever got out of prison, the biggest threat to them would be me. Sure, doesn't add up, but there you are.

Impeach Bush.

13. rhadamanthus

I should put the qualifier "up to the death penalty" for all rape cases. Better?

14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Mission: to gross out someone
    Mission status: accomplished

:cool:

On a serious note, i think the death penalty for this case is really an easy way out. I think the death penalty should be used more as a precaution to protect everyone else (even the prisoners) from dangerous people (ie. serial killers). But, this is also coming from a guy who believes that prison's primary goal is to rehabilitate and not to punish.

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Can you rehabilitate someone who rapes a child though? How f'ed up in the head do you have to be to do something like that in the first place?

I'm torn on this because I do think the death penalty should be reserved for someone who's taken a human life. But child rape might be the one crime where an exception should be made.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

maybe, maybe not but i believe every human being should be given time to realize their mistakes and change their mindset (even if they don't get to remain a part of the general public) before death.

idk, its not cut and dry with me but the biggest difference i see between life in prison and the death penalty is the safety of those in prison.

17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

YES THEY DESERVED TO DIE, AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!!!

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think a life time of prison is probably a much more severe penalty than a quick painless death for a child rapist.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

And if you kill an innocent man? Many men convicted of rape have been overturned via dna.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

So true. And quite frankly, very scary way of thinking. Because fear mongering is not a good thing for society.

Although had this gone through, I guess the term "jailbait" would turn into "deathbait" or something?