1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYT] Comment from The Guy Who Got Where He Is Because He's Black

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Apr 24, 2008.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I just read this and thought it to be both hilarious and brilliant:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/24/opinion/24whitehead.html?_r=1&ref=opinion&oref=slogin

Op-Ed Contributor

Visible Man

by COLSON WHITEHEAD
    Published: April 24, 2008

I TRY to keep a low profile. Maybe you see me in the hallway but don’t know my name. Say hi to me in the coffee room but don’t really know me. I break my silence now because of this election mess. Before the primary in Pennsylvania this week, Bill Clinton was doing magic tricks — now you see the race card, now you don’t. Geraldine Ferraro and Bob Johnson, the founder of Black Entertainment Television, have been complaining that Barack Obama is leading in the Democratic presidential campaign only because of his skin color. Multimillionaire TV pundits are lecturing “the common man” on how outraged they should be about Mr. Obama’s elitism.

It’s all hokum, and I should know. For it is I, The Guy Who’s Where He Is Only Because He’s Black.

Most folks don’t know much about me, apart from the feeling of injustice that hits when I walk into the room with my easy charisma and air of entitlement. I understand. It’s weird when your government passes legislation, like equal opportunity laws, that benefits one single person in the country — me, The Guy Who Got Where He Is Only Because He’s Black.

People think I have it easy, but it’s surprisingly difficult being The Guy Who Got Where He Is Only Because He’s Black, what with the whole having to be everywhere in the country at once thing. One second I’m nodding enthusiastically in a sales conference in Boise, Idaho, and the next I’m separating conjoined triplets at the Institute For Terribly Complicated Surgery in Buchanan, N.Y., and then I have to rush out to Muncie, Ind., to put my little “Inspector 12” tag in a bag of Fruit of the Loom.

It’s exhausting, all that travel. Decent, hard-working folks out there have their religion and their xenophobia to cling to. All I have is a fistful of upgrades to first class and free headphones. Headphones That Should Have Gone to a More Deserving Passenger.

Guns? I wish I had a gun! Ever run out of truffle oil before a dinner party and have to go to Whole Foods on a weekend? It’ll make you want to spread a little buckshot around, that’s for sure.

Look, we’re all hurting, trying to make ends meet. I have serious overhead with all the résumés I send out. The postage is one thing, but I also like to print my résumé on a nice creamy bond. I think it sends a message. Then there’s the dry cleaning and the soap — I prefer to be clean and articulate in my interviews, put my best foot forward. I think it’s working. People are responding to how I present myself.

I know some folks feel bitter about me, as bitter as the first dandelion greens of the season. Yet these people are not without hope, hope that is drizzled on those dandelion greens like a dash of sweet pomegranate vinegar. Do they begrudge the scorpion its sting, or the duck its quack? How can I be other than what I am, The Guy Who Got Where He Is Only Because He’s Black?

Frankly it’s a lot better than my last two gigs, The Guy Who Left the Seat Up and The Guy Who Took the Last Beer, although I do suffer from a lot of work-related injuries, as you can imagine. For all this jibber-jabber about how I don’t understand a working man’s problems, you should take a look at my medical chart. I have carpal tunnel, tennis elbow, miner’s lung, scapegoat rash and vintner’s dropsy, and just last week I burned my thumb making horseshoes. The funny thing is, I didn’t want to be a blacksmith. But I heard they had an opening and I couldn’t help myself.

I put in a good day’s work, unwind with a little Marx, and then settle down for some well-deserved rest. I have a nice bed. It is a California king. It is stuffed with gold doubloons, the treasure I have accumulated by gathering the bonuses and raises that would have gone to Those Who Would’ve Gotten It Except for That Black Guy. The bed is quite comfortable. I sleep O.K.

It makes the head spin, this talk of who’s elitist and who’s not. I’m confused, myself. For years, they said you can’t have this because you’re black, and then when you get something the same people say you got that only because you’re black. I mean, here I am, The Guy Who Got Where He Is Only Because He’s Black, and yet the higher up you go in an organization, the less you see of me.

It’s as if Someone Out to Prevent Me From Getting What I Worked For is preventing me from getting what I worked for. If only there were something — a lapel pin or other sartorial accessory — that would reassure people that I can do the job.

Some people say Barack Obama and I get everything handed to us on a silver platter. But we don’t let it bother us. We’re taking those silver platters and making them our canoes. Then we’ll grab our silver spoons and paddle to a place where people get us. North Carolina, maybe. Or Indiana. I hear Oregon is nice this time of year. We’ll paddle on, brother, paddle all the way to the top.

Colson Whitehead, a fellow at the Cullman Center for Scholars and Writers, is the author of the forthcoming novel “Sag Harbor.”

#1 SamFisher, Apr 24, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

he's related to the the black people are always the smartest in commercials guy

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Obviously being half black helps Obama in certain situations, you really can't argue with that. Would party leaders have tapped him to speak at the convention in 2004 were he not half black? Who is to say, but he would have been much less unique if white.

But once again, Obama supporters try to make race an issue, only to scream, cry and moan when called out on it...

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i've never seen someone be a hypocrite in one post. its truly astounding

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Yep, there is no program out there with a name that sounds great but means nothing that gives any sort of legal advantage to black people. Everyone is either judged on their merits, or in the case of white people, got where they are because of the secret handshake we all learn at the Klan rallies. If it weren't for our super awesome secret handshake, white people would be SOL. Don't you love how it is illegal to give any consideration to skin color when judging applicants?

6. flipmode

flipmode Member

um, didn't you just make race an issue, like just now? you're saying exactly what geraldine ferraro said. the point is that it should not be said that being part black is a greater differentiating factor in this race than his policies and "fresh start/unifying" campaign message.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

as usual you missed the point. i'm sure obama got where he is to the freakin us senate because of affirmative action. as a matter of fact whenever there's a black guy on an election ballot, there's a quota where 20% of the ballots have to go to him.

arguing that obama is where he is because he's black, when's he's elected is about the stupidest thing you can. but go ahead and defend it

edit: and its also great that you played the klan card as if no white person ever had an advantage to get a job because of who daddy played golf with

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's true oh it's true - you better hope your Black Superviser Who is Dumber Than You doesn't read this post! You might lose out on Benefits That Should Have Been Yours But Instead Went to Somebody Less Deserving.

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I wasn't talking about Obama at all, I was talking about Guy Who Got Where He Is Only Because He Is Black. In case you didn't notice, most of the references in the article are about affirmative action and how it isn't really disadvantaging anyone. If people don't want an inherently racist program discussed, perhaps it should not be on the books.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

affirmative action doesn't exist in most of the places referenced in the article. most corporation who attempt to diversify their workforce do it because they want to because they think it benifits them in the long run. in case you didn't notice

11. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Riiiiiiight. Of course that's what they'll tell you.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just to add to this, affirmative action is never mandatory unless there is a history of racism. Other programs are voluntary though there are incentives.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or it's what the law is.

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I still think you missed the point. It's not about affirmitive action, it's about people thinking that succesful black people don't get where they are based on their merrits and it's kind of hard to argue that this attitude doesn't exist the way you first responded.

15. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Well then why not eliminate affirmative action and remove all doubt?

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

as soon as we eliminate all inherit advantages.

17. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Classic on so many levels.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

since i've graduated from college i've worked with someone who's daddy worked in the same field, worked at the same company, knew his boss in the past. but affirmative action is the scorge of the earth. i've even worked with people's who's daddy's were still at the company

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

the classic "two wrongs make a right" mentality. brilliant

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I think there's some confusion here about Obama's rise to the Senate.

He's a senator because he beat The Guy Who Got There Because He's Black...

[​IMG]