1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYT] A Disparaging Video Prompts Explosive Fallout Within ESPN

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 4, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Jesus Jose Lima got fat

Jontro likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

I just want to point out that over 50% of the population in the USA is made up of women...... and about 12-15% of the population is made up of people of color.... even adjusting those numbers, you have close to 60% of the country made up or women or people of color...... and the company is planning on 50% of their pilot hires to be consistent with with 60% of the population........ it really isn't that extreme. Further, HALF of their hires will be men that are not of color... that is a pretty large amount.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That would be a fair take but he admitted in his apology that he was speaking from the standpoint of a person of privilege. I would just think Lebron could find someone who doesn't make those mistakes - not because they are perfect, but because they lived their life on the margins and know the struggle first hand, not as an assignment they have been given.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That is a myth.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....not trying to bust your bubble, but we actually DID become a wealthy country based exactly on exploiting first Native Americans, then African Americans and Latinos for their land and resources. Cheap and/or free labor and ownership of resources taken from Indians is the exact reason why we are wealthy as a country. If you are touting "the greatest country in the world" - then it sounds like you already believe in the myth that has been presented to you in the school system and not the reality of how we really got here because it largely hasn't been a "great country" if you weren't a white man in America.

...and again - not trying to put you on blast because we have all had the wool pulled over our eyes for a long time. I'm a POC and lived in Texas my whole life and only just now realized Mexico was fighting Texan "heroes" because they fundamentally disagreed on slave ownership - want to guess who wanted to keep slaves? Look at how few people even knew about the Tulsa massacre until fairly recently....hell, even Canada is starting to feel the heat of shameful histories that are starting to come to light related to how they treated people of color in their country(in their case, it's native Americans). There is enough smoke that you should really re-evaluate what you think you have learned about American history and particularly what "the greatest country in the world" meant to those men, women and children who were brutalized for the country to make that claim.

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Yeah, I get it - but was responding to the person who didn't understand the context of what Nichols was doing and somehow thought Maria should just get over it and accept Nichols' apology.

Rocket River and Nook like this.
  7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

If he represents possibly the most famous celebrity in the world, then I would say that classifies him as a power broker. If he isn't, then who is?

....I don't agree with your take that this wasn't about throwing shade at Maria - you gotta read between the lines with Nichols' comments. That wasn't her innocently asking for advice from a friend, that read to me more of someone feeling out said powerbroker to see if she could curry some sympathy or imply that Maria wasn't well qualified. It was shade that she is trying to now pass off as a misunderstanding - that's why people are mad.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Nice straw man argument, a-hole. I never said a Karen is white - you did. So what was that about me being a racist? Kindly piss off - I dont take kindly to people putting words in my mouth and then using those words to call me a racist.

9. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

jiggyfly and KingCheetah like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly, that isn't what I got out of it. She sounded to me like someone that did not like that someone else was getting her assignment, and that it was promised to her in her contract. She could have certainly handled it better than she did, but it didn't sound like she was just trying to throw Taylor under the bus. Now we can bring up the topic of entitlement or that race clearly played a part, as Nichols did discuss the fact that ESPN was trying to be diverse....

Nichols ran into the buzz saw of supporting and pushing diversity. Nichols possibly benefitted, as a woman, from a push from diversity.... and I do believe she supports wider diversity..... but now she believes it threatens HER status and what is important to her, and she does not like it. This isn't shocking and I suspect we will see more of it... and it isn't really unique to white people either.

blahblehblah, BigM, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Another perspective: someone in support of Nichols or Nichols herself shared the rumor of her and Butler smashing in the bubble. Why? Well, how could she be racist if she's letting a Black dude hit it? :confused: What a weird world we are living in.

Nook likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Humans are weird. I know a number of somewhat racist people that are in relationships with someone of the group they are somewhat racist against.

I know a white woman that has some racist views towards black people and she only dates black men and her black husband has some racist opinions about white people.

When I hear people say: "My husband is black" or "My wife is white", like it means that they cannot be racist.... it makes me roll my eyes because it doesn't mean a damn thing except they are attracted to a particular group of people.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You wish.

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Fair enough - totally see your point there. Agree with the second paragraph particularly - this is the burden of women and people of color who get into those rare positions of power - the nature of power is there is always people nipping at your heels but at the same time if given that opportunity it's expected that you are to raise up others around you so it becomes a conflict of self interest vs doing what is right for people who weren't given that opportunity.

Agree she didn't approach it correctly but I suppose that's expected given the casual nature of the conversation. It's just a shame she didn't see it as an opportunity to partner with other women to raise visibility and break through the unwritten rules that suggest that there can only be one woman sideline reporter in a series, or that women somehow belong on the sideline and not the game cast (shout out to OG Doris Burke for breaking that mold!). There is power in the numbers that partnership brings - especially when fighting social change. It's not good enough to always be smiling and "role model"-y if you aren't actually an ally for those fighting the same struggle, even within your own company/field.

Nook and durvasa like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Talk about a strawman.

This was not about if a Karen can be white, your entire tangent was about how entitled Nichols was entitled because she was white, like this was a white privilege thing when it was not.

What you posted was indeed racist and if you can't see that you need to do some self reflection.

You have the nerve to be upset with me putting words in your mouth when all you did is put words in Nicholls mouth.

If the shoe fits.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Got fat?

:D

Nook likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How can you read between the lines when you don't know Nichols.

You are assigning your own bias to what she said, you can't read between the lines when you don't know the entire picture or the history of that person.

The only shade was against ESPN.

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Again dude? Really? That was literally never something I said. I didn't say she was entitled because she was white, you did! I said she was entitled but I didn't bring race into it at all for her. In fact I specifically said you really couldn't make the determination that race had anything to do with it from the conversation. I would cut and paste exactly what I said here to show you, but I don't want to insult the good people of this board who already get what you are failing to.

....it feels like you need to do some self reflection on your reading skills before you start running into message boards calling people racists.

...what a joke.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....you really got that quantity over quality thing down, huh? You are just responding at this point and I'm not even sure if you remember who or what you are responding to. 13k posts in 6 years(6 a day every day!) and yet nothing worthwhile despite all that practice. Maybe you are spending more time posting than you are reading, listening, and understanding...either way, I aint got time for you - welcome to the ignore list.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think you meant "a particular person in that group of people." Anyway, I totally agree that having someone in a particular group close to you doesn't mean you don't have prejudice against that group. I've heard that excuse being used many times.

Nook likes this.