1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYT] A Disparaging Video Prompts Explosive Fallout Within ESPN

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 4, 2021.

1. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Sounds like another Karen self imploding

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

No idea who the person interviewing KP was, but she seems like a real Debbie Downer.

a time to chill likes this.
  3. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

And you wonder why we can't have nice things...

I can point you to a transcript if you would like but this is silly. If you want to interpret what was said differently than I that's your right.

As for the rest.... pffft. Agree to disagree. I'm out.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Fine by me.

Later.

FrontRunner likes this.
  5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....I don't think a "friend" 'out'-ed her - I think she was talking on an interviewing device that uploads the interviews to the ESPN cloud and another lower level employee going through the tapes looking for content stumbled upon it and shared it with the colleague Nichols was talking about. I could be wrong there, but I thought I read this wasn't secretly taped so much as Nichols being careless with what she was/wasn't recording with ESPN's corporate hardware recording device.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Consequences?

What does she need consequences for?

7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

She will be back. Just like the dude who pulled out his stick on the conference call. Let it cycle off the news, apologize and resume.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How do you see that?

How is she entitled when its in her contract?

How is entitlement a white person thing?

You sound just as racist as what people are saying that Nicholls is sounding.

Black people are not immune to sabotage, especially to other blacks.

Nook likes this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Come on - Rachel doesn't really lose out if she isn't on the sideline of the Finals - she gets to go back home to a very nice house, make some more big paychecks, and be on the TV the very next day talking with NBA players about the game. It's self preservation in the same way Amazon tries to explain why they don't deserve to pay more taxes - she's being greedy and selfish and her self preservation is based on a scarcity of role that she helps perpetuate. If we are being honest, people generally better at preserving their self interests when they work in groups so the better play would have been to band up with other female reporters at the network and advocate for TWO sideline reporters or fight for more opportunities for women across the network. The reason those opportunities don't exist for other women or people of color is precisely because prominent women like Rachel aren't willing to fight for the type of culture they claim to be fighting for.

10. H.D.

H.D. Member

Right- both are tribe, both are above the rules the rest of us abide by.

11. a time to chill

This guy really isn't a power broker and it's a reach to say that Rachel was sabotaging Maria's career. He's not the only way reporters can secure interviews with players. He specializes in PR and Communications and Rachel was seeking advice from him about what to do in the situation ESPN placed her in. She never spoke badly about Maria in any way. If you read the whole story he advised Rachel to put the blame where it should lay - with ESPN, and that having two women fight over the same job is an issue with ESPN's shortcomings with female employees.

Nook, jiggyfly and glimmertwins like this.
  12. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

ESPN's countdown/halftime/finals show is usually when I take my bathroom break or go prepare food and beverages. Didn't care for the show when Beadle was hosting nor when Nichols and Taylor were hosting.

If ABC/ESPN outsourced the job to TNT and the inside the nba crew, it would not only save them a bunch of headaches, it would also please their viewers.

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Of course he is what did you expect?../

You think the powers that be would allow somebody as influential and powerful as lebron James to be lead by another minority who is just as influential and powerful as he is or maybe even more?

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Older broadcaster replaced by fresh new face -- never seen that in journalism before.

Nook and a time to chill like this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

Nook likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

#236 J.R., Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

How did this get to 12 pages? Is this the closest you can get to a BBS cat fight?

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

apparently a lot of Rachel Nichols Only Fans have flooded the board and polluted the Dish with their excessive fandom

Nook likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I want Rachel to win a championship before Harden does.

Nook, JumpMan and Os Trigonum like this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I missed the Finals. did she get her job back?