1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYPost/Vecsey: Stevie to Denver?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by xiki, Feb 5, 2006.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.nypost.com/sports/62953.htm

I don't know all the particulars, but I do know Steve Francis, whose friction of late with coach Brian Hill and consequent two-game suspension is well documented, is on the verge of being sent from Orlando to Denver.

In exchange, the Nuggets would give up Nene and Watson, who would either wind up in New York or Seattle. Obviously, the Knicks would have to surrender one of their youngbloods, preferably a guard, whereas the Sonics are prepared to part with Reggie Evans, Ronald Murray and Vitaly Potapenko. The second wave of talks is linked to Ratliff, Ruben Patterson and Penny Hardaway.

"Everyone is on board with the Francis trade but one team," asserted one of the participants, declining to divulge its identity. "Something's either going to get done or it'll be dead within the next 48 hours."

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think Orlando Fans would love to get their hands on Nene for Francis. Imagine a Nene, Howard, Hedo frontline. Nene and Howard paried together would be a rough and rugged duo. And I think Magic fans these days believe that Jameer Nelson can easily replace Francis' production.
    Francis in Denver would be interesting. Especially with Miller and Carmello there. I would think they would have to move Miller then. Just not enough basketballs to go around.

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Why don't we try to bring Francis home, if his trade value is truly this low? Maybe Head, Swift, Rafer and Moochie's expiring contract for Francis? Also, throw in a conditional first round pick - if we make the playoffs this year, they get our pick, otherwise, no pick.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If this is true, and it did start with 'New York's Finest' (sic) and BBS fav, Pierre Vecsey, who winds up where (just what would go to DizzyWorld???) and yes, how many basketballs would the Nugs need???

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Do you honestly think Steve would play for Van Gundy again? I doubt they completely hate each other like a lot of people think, but they are not very compatible when it comes to basketball.

It would also hurt team chemistry IMO. I don't know if Mcgrady and Steve could co-exist when it comes to leadership...Steve would feel like he should be the leader since this was his home first.

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I don't understand why people get on Vescey so much, he's been one of the more accurate people in regards to trades and trade speculations. It's important to remember that just because a trade doesn't go through does NOT mean the writer is incorrect, it could just mean that the trade fell through.

7. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Man, the Magic are so f'ked up. Watson and Nene for Steve? How would that be any better than Alston and Swift for Steve? Watson has less baggage than Alston and may be a little better, but Nene's injured and a free agent this summer. You could give them Alston, Swift, Wesley (cap space), and our 1st rounder for Francis - much sweeter than just Watson and Nene.

That being said, JVG probably wouldn't want Steve back unless it was an absolute steal - like throwing Moochie into the deal and keeping Alston.

8. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Three max contracts? I don't think Les would do that.

9. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

yeah but Steve is an impact player, SF3+T-Mac+Yao surely is the best combination in this league so Les better keep his words and go for it. :D

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wow, that is highway robbery if it goes through. (Orlando is the victim)

11. jondoe654

jondoe654 Member

all though im not the first to say it, i would like to remind everyone this trade would mean we traded cato for mcgrady and howard...sucks to be a magic fan these days

12. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

or maybe you can say the Magics traded Tracy McGrady, Juwan Howard for Nene+Watson+Cato :eek:

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

And Cato will be gone (FA) this summer.

14. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

According to the Magic assistant GM, Steve is not going to be traded to the Nuggets. This of course means he will be traded soon.

LINK

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the magic are in an interesting situation. they really don't have to win right now because the future of that franchise is howard. but if this trade goes through it they will not be better off, but they don't need to be right now.

jameer nelson can't replace Francis's production and he will get killed on defense. he's just too small.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

From today's New York Times:

Isiah Thomas, the Knicks' president, is not finished attempting trades. He was absent from his familiar place at the tunnel leading to the locker rooms. He was involved in negotiations for a multiteam deal, said two executives in the league who were granted anonymity because they were not authorized to relate the discussions. The proposed deal, however, is dead.

The teams discussed sending Orlando's Steve Francis to Denver, with two Nuggets players, point guard Earl Watson and forward Bryon Russell, going to the Knicks.

The Knicks would have sent Trevor Ariza to Denver and would have probably dealt Crawford to Orlando. The Nuggets would have shipped NenĂª and Voshon Lenard to the Magic.

Few Knicks are untradeable, even with Rose having arrived in the latest deal.

17. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Supposedly the deal's off. That said, I have $10 that says the deal goes through before the deadline (or at least Francis to the Nugs does).

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I know you don't like francis, post if he goes to your team, we want to make sure you're still around.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Let's bring Cato home!!!

Maybe we can sign Grnat Hill in the off-season too.

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Nene is overrated.