1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. ROCKETS GAMEDAY
    The Rockets hope to rebound (no pun intended) after that brutal loss to Charlotte when they take on Ja Morant and the Grizzlies tonight. Come join us live at 7:00pm CT!

LIVE! Rockets vs. Grizzlies

[NYPost] Rockets could make push for Carmelo (UPDATE: Blog post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2014.

1. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Member

Yet again I agree with torocan here. I think the thing that will make Melo stay in NYK is not the money...it's the fact that it's the Knicks. Melo loves the city and really wants to make it a winner...and go down in history as the person who made it a winner.

But then the question becomes, does Melo value being the hero at NYK more (even if he ultimately fails in bringing them a ring) or having a really good shot at winning at ring as 2nd or 3rd fiddle here in HTown. That's what it boils down to imo, not the money. We can forget the money.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

So basically, he's still traumatized from the Yao/T-Mac era. He probably feels like a crab who's finally climbed all the way out of the barrel....now he's just weary of those other crabs (injuries) pulling him back down.

3. eslate22

eslate22 Member

for those that say melo cant fit with two other stars... just got watch the all star game again this year when he set the record for 3s in the game... I know defense isn't played in those games but melo would get a lot of open 3s when harden drives to the basket and melo's man leaves melo to help out on harden

4. jtr

jtr Member

The Rockets team fit and construction is a classic example of how to build a NBA team that can withstand injury. What happens in the regular season if any one of the starters goes down with an injury for a month or more?

Howard - A three man rotation of Asik, D-Mo and Jones. Some small ball.
    Jones - Probably little or no effect.
    Parsons - Hamilton plays a lot more. An extreme pain, but not catastrophic.
    Harden - Lin starts, some late game situations slip away.
    Bev - Lin. Not a big difference. A few games here and there.

In every case I can see the Rockets playing near .600 ball or better. Needless to say in the playoffs the Rockets advance one round less. Take Asik, Lin and Jones out of the equation and replace them with Melo and vet min players and the situation would not be near so rosy. GM's do have to take this into consideration.

5. the shark

the shark Member

one thing that I very rarely see mentioned is not only does the state of NY have a state income tax, but residents of NYC (and people that work in Manhattan) also have a personal income tax. It's been yrs since I lived in Manhattan, but it ranged anywhere from 2.9% to around 3.65 % of your income. There is also NO deductions (at least there wasn't when I lived there).

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Not to trade crap for s***, but come to think of it, if we could clear the capspace---big IF, given how much Jeremy Lin and his contract suck---wouldn't we be more interested in an opted-out Chris Bosh? He'd fit more of a need (4 / 5) and would be slightly more inclined to make the jump than Melo would from New York.

If Melo just wants to use the Rockets as leverage? Nothing to see here. Move on, people. Please keep moving. Nothing to see here.

Although, as larsv8 pointed out, why not just say "Lakers", since they have the cap room (although they probably have eyes for Love).

Then let's cross our fingers that Morey can fortify and balance out the roster this summer without getting another max dude. I always thought he was trying to follow the Boston example (Big 3 - Big 4).

#666 ROXTXIA, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  7. Classic

Classic Member

Impossible. At least next year.

I'm calling bull*hit on that.

[not that i don't enjoy the commentary]

8. jtr

jtr Member

Bosh makes so much more sense than Melo. Bosh and Howard fit so well together both offensively and defensively. Especially defensively. As a PF Bosh brings so much more to the table than just points. And he is a great teammate and knows how to play a role on a championship quality team. A perfect fit, maybe even better than Love.

9. roswell raygun

We have all heard reports that Morey wants to find a third star. Are those inaccurate? Are you saying he's not willing to give out a third max contract to get that third star?

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Does that mean he wants to keep Asik as insurance since the team already knows how to play with Asik?

Our team as it's made really needs more reliable outside shooting. We have seen how Howard and Harden can get stymied by contending teams. However, do we need Melo, or are there other shooters or stretch 4s out there who can give slightly lower production but not demand max?

Also can Melo and Harden mesh their games together?

11. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

This kinda works out depending on what exactly the Celtics are trying to do. Are they building through the draft (they have sooo many potential good picks) or FA? Probably draft, so cap space might be good after 2014 season when Lin and Asik expire.

12. Stats

Stats Member

Agreed that from a team chemistry/mentality/championship pedigree Bosh is better, but I'm going to have to disagree with you overall.

In your excellent tagging post, you made the clear case for why a PF shooting over 35% is so important not only for his points, but for his clearing of the paint. Bosh shot 23% from 3 this year. Carmelo shot 38%. Our offense would be at a ridiculous level post-Carmelo. Bosh would clog the paint as bad as Asik.

13. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

Aren't the Knicks already scared though? The only thing different is Phil Jackson coming to town, so obviously they are kinda trying already.

Unless the "leak" happened before that.

14. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

I think you missed the point he was making. If we were to lose Howard or Harden to injury (in the same way OKC lost Westbrook and Chicago lost Rose), then any title hopes are gone.

Just out of curiosity, are there any historical examples of contending teams losing their star player due to injury and going on to win a championship without adding another star? That would make for interesting research. Only instance I can think of Magic Johnson stepping in at center for Kareem in game 6 of the NBA Finals. But that was just one game against the Sixers to win it all against the Sixers.

Anyway, I see the point you are making about team construction, and generally agree, but I have yet to see a contending team win a title after losing its star player during the season. I may be wrong though.

15. cyberx

cyberx Member

Did Morey directly tell you that he was going for Melo at the deadline...

Trying to get him at deadline.. MEANING - he would get his current contract.. NOT a max 4 year one. Meaning the risk is lower.

16. jtr

jtr Member

Bosh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. arjun

arjun Member

hey guys....even if he is interested, nothing will happen till a loooong time from now.

we have bigger problems to worry about, such as the 2014 playoffs.

18. kevC

kevC Member

We would be a super version of the 07-08 Nuggets team. A young, even more ball-chucking Melo sort of worked with an aging Iverson and Marcus Camby. That team won 50 games and got swept by the Lakers in the first round. Harden is much more efficient than Iverson and Dwight is much better than Camby and Anthony has obviously improved a lot since he was 23. It would be a scary team.

19. Play07

Play07 Member

been saying this for months now, he wont demand a $22mill contract for any team, so by gettign him we still can mabybe upgrade other spots. hes been on a championship team playing as the 3rd option before hes PROVEN to do that. Bosh on this rockets team would be favs i the west

cheaper
    defense
    pick & pop threat
    midrange game/3
    height
    smart
    good teammate no DRAMA

20. Nook

Nook Member

Lin and Asik will be gone after next season regardless. I feel a lot better with Harden/Parsons/Anthony and an injured Howard than Harden/Parsons and a couple role players.

If the Rockets lose Howard they are screwed anyway.... it makes no sense, because, it isn't true.