1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPost] Rockets could make push for Carmelo (UPDATE: Blog post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Mr Chuck Norris

I think its a vendetta for Carmelo.

First off Melo can play the 3 and the 4 which love cant do. Carmelo is a way better scorer and can actually go toe to toe with LeBron. Love is absolutely awful on defense. Carmelo can also be a 2nd clutch scorer. Also why do people think Carmelo NEEDS a high volume of shots, Yeah maybe on the knicks. Team USA proved he can be a 2nd or 3rd option a very good one at that. His play didn't Drop off when Allen Iverson came to Denver either.

Bottom line Carmelo is a Superstar. If you have a chance at him. Wihouut giving yp Harden/Howard, GET HIM

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

That is not what I'm reading.

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2014/3/18/5524182/houston-rockets-carmelo-anthony-free-agency-rumors

What I'm reading is that Morey went after Anthony in 2010. Since Harden, and especially Dwight were acquired, Morey rumors of Carmelo pursuit have been pretty quiet.

3. Celexer

Celexer New Member

Melo is not what Houston needs.

Forget about all this non sense of how there will never be enough ball to go around that is NOT the reason why Melo should not come. Houston has one of the top 5 offences in the NBA and don't struggle to score and put points up. What they do struggle in is having a stagnant defence, turnovers, and perimeter D. Melo simply does not help in those areas. He would make the Rockets #1 in points per game but a lot of the issues they have been trying to work through would still persist. There is no doubt that Carmello would help in the short term but when thinking about long term goals and the qualities that a team needs to win multiple championships, Carmello simply will not do.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Member

If by quiet, you mean Clutch confirming the Rockets went after him at the deadline, then yes, they have been quiet.

5. rlivz

rlivz Member

Love is younger, and also unavailable.

So he averaged 38% for four years. Now he's averaging 42%. I'm putting more stock in the most recent year. Worst case scenario, he's as good as Kevin Love from 3. More likely scenario, he sees 2x the wide open 3s in Houston and increases his % further.

Love is arguably the best PF. It's arguable because of position definitions. LeBron is technically a PF, so no, Love is not even arguably the best if you take that into account. Plenty of people would say Melo is a better overall player than Love. I'm making the claim that if you define him as a PF, Melo is a better PF than Love.

6. jacoby

jacoby Member

We heard this with Harden.

We heard this with Howard.

We heard this with Rondo.

We're hearing this with Melo.

Get a grip people. Morey knows what he's doing. We certainly do not.

7. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Agreed, and where did the idea that we have a choice between Carmello and Love come from? If both are saying they want to come, then I'm all for arguements on which to take, and might even lean towards Love. But if Carmello says he wants to come and is available now, you don't pass on him just in case Love becomes available and wants to come here in the future.

8. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Member

That peak stats arnt that useful for melo as he doesn't use his athletism as a key to score like a wade did and his obvious decline.

9. torocan

torocan Member

I think we need to remember that Morey is an opportunist.

While Morey on some level may have a preference between Love and Melo, I think he realizes that push comes to shove, you take what you can get. All-stars don't break free that often, and the chance of you landing them is rarely 100%. Just look at Brooklyn and Dwight, and Dwight even *wanted* to go to Brooklyn.

As for Melo's efficiency, while his TS% isn't stellar, we also have to remember that Melo is usually the #1 option and has entire defenses geared around his play. And he does have brain farts in terms of shot selection which hurts him as well.

However, I think Melo as a #2 scoring option (behind Harden) is a perfect role for Melo. IE, Olympics Melo. IF Melo is willing to sacrifice his game to Harden, I think Houston may have something.

And worst comes to worst, Morey ships him out for a different All Star. Melo on a long contract is going to retain value for some time.

I think Morey has to take the gamble unless another star lands in our lap.

10. ths balla

ths balla Member

If you watched USA Olympic basketball you know most certainly that Melo can play with other stars, change his game and do multiple things the team needs him to do besides score.

Same people that don't want Melo prob didn't want Howard as well smh lol

11. cyberx

cyberx Member

Melo is using this as leverage... His people are putting this out there more than the Rockets are.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

i would want him soley because laker fans are so sure Carmelo would sign with LA

13. arjun

arjun Member

Yes, Olympics.

Billups, Iverson, Tyson Chandler, (hurt)Amare Stoudemire are the best players he's ever played with.....come on. Do you really think on a team with Harden and Dwight Howard that Melo would be a ball hog?

14. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Member

Who would you rather have? Seriously.

15. Mr Chuck Norris

oh well..

16. H-townRedOx

H-townRedOx Member

Does this mean the Rockets aren't interested in Melo, or more that these most recent reports are coming from Melo's camp?

17. Mr Chuck Norris

Leverage for who though, Chi or NYK?

18. cyberx

cyberx Member

Melos camp

19. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Why wouldn't he just say LAL?

They actually have capspace.

20. H-townRedOx

H-townRedOx Member

alright thanks for the info! much appreciated