1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPost] Rockets could make push for Carmelo (UPDATE: Blog post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

Why not? If he stays in the East any team he is on will still have less talent than Miami and Indiana. If he comes to Houston his team will have more talent than everyone but OKC, and even that is debatable.

I don't think he is coming because of money, but if he wants to win first I think we have a great shot.

2. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

I agree, but you are so vehemently against somebody who is an excellent stretch, and a worse rebounder who has teammate issues, yet standing up for somebody who is an excellent stretch, better rebounder, but worse defender, who has teammate issues. It sounds like you have a personal vendetta against Melo.

And aldridge as a GREAT defender is a stretch.

3. passdarock

passdarock Member

Since the rockets never get a player that I really like...

I hope they don't get Melo.

4. dantian

dantian Member

They count only at 8.3mil each against the cap. So, it barely works straight up for Melo's 20mil. with the 125% +100k rule.

5. pariah

pariah Member

I would guess that Melo was the target in cyberx comment before the deadline of a significant trade. Not Rondo. #Melo

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That would have been typical Morey fashion. Make the deal that no one is reporting or rumoring.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I remember thinking Wade and Lebron couldn't fit.....

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Eh. That alone can't account for someone being a top 5 rebounder many years in a row. It also doesn't explain why he leads in offensive rebounds, either. So not buying it.

We have plenty of room for improvement in rebounding. We shoot the most shots in the NBA, but we're 6th in rebounds.

Every player has a deficiency. Can't always get what you want. At the very least, KLove's strengths are strengths we need.

I don't get your point. You think Carmelo is? I feel no better with him guarding the opposing 4 than I do Parsons.

The volume scorer thing has been with Anthony his entire career through multiple teams. I don't expect him to change now. Yes, he can hit the 3, which is one of the best things about bringing him here. But it's not enough to convince me.

It's possible LMA could learn to do that (although unlikely). It's also possible KLove's post defense might improve (he's significantly younger than both). I don't expect Carmelo's game to change or improve much, though, at least in the areas we need.

#608 DonnyMost, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I guess you must also believe Moses Malone's rebounds were all because of hard work too? Love is one of the worst defenders in the paint statistically and his team's record should make that a dead give away.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

No, I believe they were all because of MAGIC!

LOL. How're Melo's Knicks doing over there in the lEastern Conference, cap'n?

I don't defend or excuse Love's shortcomings at all. But we can use his skills more than Melo's.

11. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO okay... yeah, sure.

12. Nook

Nook Member

WTF?

Really?

13. jtr

jtr Member

Thank god. Someone else understands!

14. rlivz

rlivz Member

Carmelo is a better 3pt shooter (42% vs. 38%) and defender than Kevin Love. He can also create his own shot far better than Love, and is an underrated rebounder.

So how does Kevin Love fit better than Carmelo as a stretch 4?

15. rlivz

rlivz Member

More importantly than any of this: Kevin Love is not available, Carmelo Anthony is.

16. Title99

Title99 Member

NOOO

Do Not Want!

17. basketballholic

Funny. do you realize you guys are arguing about Kevin Love and Melo?

What a problem. Argue on.

18. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Melo has never stepped out of the spotlight and that's what he would be doing if he came to the Rockets. I understand that he has never been the best teammate but I can't imagine that he would willingly come play with Harden and Howard thinking he is going to be able to play the same way he always has. Maybe he will stay the same Melo but I'd hope that he could be as effective on the Rockets as he is when he is surrounded by stars on team USA.

19. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Obviously if the Rockets went after Melo, Morey would be behind it, and the rumor that started this thread was that the Rockets expressed interest at the trade deadline and may be interested this off season. If the rumor is true, then that is Morey's endorsement.

20. jtr

jtr Member

Love is significantly younger than Melo. Stats say that players peak at 27.3 years.

Melo is having a career year from the 3 point line. He shoots 34.5% over the course of his career. The last 4 years he has averaged ~37.5% from beyond the arc.

Love is, arguably, the best PF in the game today. No one would ever make that claim about Melo.