1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPost] Rockets could make push for Carmelo (UPDATE: Blog post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2014.

1. jtr

jtr Member

I do not believe I was asked that question in the same way.

Realistically, do you want the Rockets to sink $22M a year in a player hoping he will change? Because he certainly does not currently fit well into the Rockets offensive architecture. He takes far and away to many mid-ranged shots. He is not a good finisher around the basket. He is hitting a career best from beyond the arc. And he is approaching 30 years old. Just my opinion.

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Member

Shouldn't you just trust the front office, if they are going after melo their must be some merit behind chasing him.

3. basketballholic

Did he change when he was an Olympian?

4. jtr

jtr Member

And that is where I differ in opinion from everyone else. IMHO the FO is not going after Melo. In the same way they were not going after Rondo at the trade deadline. Take Melo at an extreme discount? Sure. Same for Rondo.Get into the ballpark of a serious offer? Absolutely not. As a serious basketball fan you need to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff. Melo and Rondo are just chaff for Morey.

5. poing

poing Member

Even if this never happens, it's pretty good to be wanted. Remember when Morey chased after everyone above average and struck out every time? Dwight Howard didn't want to be here, and then he wanted to be here. Now it's Melo, who also didn't want to be here a few years ago.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Sd0S0LwhEDU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. jtr

jtr Member

LOL. A great perspective. Melo would love to be here for sure.

7. Play07

Play07 Member

gave up too much for HOWARD, but I understand he didn't know melo was going to be available. When moving asik/Lin/dmo/filler you have to worry about the bench. heat still have Ray Allen, Norris cole, Anderson, (had mike miller on theirs)

asik on that $8mill contract looks mighty good now, just handling rebounds and protecting the rim, and setting screens for harden & melo. And rockets still having $16mill to spend on a bench after giving melo a max contract.

I'm sure Howard will be ok with melo coming matter of fact I thinks he wants him to come and tried recruiting him, so that's one good thing about having Howard here, but if melo was to come Howard in the post needs to not happen as much. Harden & melo will score for u and at MELO will always get a shot off so it won't be any wasted plays.

For people who want melo here, hope you're rooting HARD for hawks... if Knicks don't make playoffs that will be a big EDGE morey has on KNICKS even with Phil

me.... I think melo should go to the bulls, if I was him that's what I would do, still would feel like you didn't NEED other players to win. but he may follow Lebrons big 3 lead technique.

8. passdarock

passdarock Member

Having Carmelo on this team would be great. How can any team turn down a top 5 player? Carmelo is considered a high volume shooter and some people take that as a bad thing. Others say he doesn't play good defense and will expect max money. Don't forget this is Carmelo Anthony; he is clutch player; a proven scorer; he would make the rockets such as dangerous team because of the many scoring options; and while his defense is not great, its also not terrible.

Also, if carmelo is thinking correctly why would he choose the Bulls or to even remain with the Knicks. The Knicks are rebuilding and the Bulls only have Noah to build upon (D. Rose is questionable). So, if he wants to spend the rest of his career earning the most money but without a ring, that's fine. I suspect he wants to win and will choose the Rockets. One question is whether the Rockets can move pieces and gain assets to make the trade, and what will the rockets be lose get him?

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Extreme discount meaning?

Either way you look at it, they are going to move Lin and Asik next year or this summer for whatever they can get.... Might as well get a superstar talent in return.

Do they empty the quiver of assets to get a S&T or to get another team to take back Lin and or Asik to absorb them in their precious cap space?

Do they give up Parsons and/or Jones?

These are all legitimate questions as to how far they are willing to push it in order to have the ability to acquire Melo.

However it's a known fact that yes at some level the Rockets were going and are going to keep pursuing Melo, and will give him whatever they can afford with available cap space because he's worth the contract even if his role is much different or would need to be different on this team.

If you are looking as a straight up trade though, from a value perspective ... Lin and Asik (with him being your backup) for Melo is a steal of a deal for any team. You throw Parsons in the deal or all of your available 1st round picks, and then things get complicated.

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

We did go after Rondo. They couldn't come to an agreement. They are also pursuing Melo and rightfully so jtr. Morey has expressed getting another Superstar in here.

11. autoprt

autoprt Member

i'm not sure how i feel about it. melo can definitely score but so can harden so i'm not sure how that's going to work out.
    to i'd rather we get someone like boozer or noah that just flat out hustle their opponents night in and out which is what we seem to be missing based on the games against our strong opponents we need someone to depend on when both harden and howard don't show up.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The Heat didn't have nothing on the bench when the big three was formed. They got Allen in the 2nd year.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

A 30 year old ball-hogging, team-killing, chucker.... yeah, that's exactly what this team needs.

14. sammy

sammy Member

Disagree strongly. His percentages are very good and his basketball IQ is very underrated. He will adapt his game to fit in. The Olympics is an example. Yeah I know that's a different style but I feel like he will make it work.

15. sammy

sammy Member

He's 29 going on 30. We would be getting him in his prime.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Has he ever adapted his game to fit in, anywhere?

What makes you think he's going to change his stripes and become Mr. Perfect Teammate now?

You saw what happened when he had to share the spotlight with Lin. Imagine that multiplied by ten.

He's going to be 30 in May. That's not a hair worth splitting. Giving a max deal to a guy with his unnecessary skillset (it's not as if the Rockets have a problem scoring or need another primary creator on offense) who will only get worse from here on out is not a good idea.

17. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

I don't understand how people are against this? He is the PERFECT stretch 4 and he's a fantastic rebounder. As a 4 he's not a horrible defender and we will be able to stretch out every defense. You can't go by his shot selection because he's pretty much the only guy who can create his own shot on the Knicks. This would be a home run if we can get him without giving up Parsons.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Kind of like the perception of Dwight Howard the locker room cancer, coach killer, diva, who is injury prone, and can't shoot free throws (well that part is actually true but...)

and Harden

Doesn't have it in him to be a #1 option, chokes in big games, can't score without Durant or Westbrook on the court, etc.

Melo's not a perfect player by any stretch, you might not like his demeanor, or his tattoos, and he did openly force his way out of Denver which some have a problem with, but if you really believe this is the end-all-be-all statement that defines Melo as a player, I have trouble not seeing a short-sited dismissive basketball analysis of a player.

I'm not going to try and convince anyone here that Melo is someone he isn't or sell you that the Rockets should try and acquire him at all costs (which I think they should draw a line in the sand), but I think we can go a little deeper into the analysis than just making statements like this as an over-arching opinion.

1 person likes this.
  19. sammy

sammy Member

Lin isn't Harden.

Winning cures all. He will be a great teammate if this happens.

So our offense puts up points so there's no need to upgrade when the opportunity arises? Morey's goal has always been to win in the short and long-term. Scoring won't come as easy in the playoffs against the tougher opponents esp in the West..add another especially on the road. Playoffs are a different brand of basketball. Melo can give you buckets in a half-court set.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

The analysis of him as a 30 year old volume scorer and primary creator is about as deep as you need to go in order to understand the Rockets should not pursue him.