1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPost] Rockets could make push for Carmelo (UPDATE: Blog post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2014.

1. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Your question is unclear

3. solodolo

solodolo Member

You think led cares about going above the cap ?

But if Parsons does leave that means morey likes Covington to come & help this team next year .
    In the bench of course .

4. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Wonder which route Morey will takes,
    continue his quest of 3s and dunks or taking the superior talent.

IMO, Melo will be a great fit as long as Dwight is happy playing 3rd banana on offense.

5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Phil Jackson has stated Anthony is part of the Knicks' future. When a guy like Phil speaks; you listen. This article and thread should be put to rest now.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I reserve judgement of this situation until cyberx comments.

7. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Phil can speak all he wants, but the fact of the matter is Carmelo isn't gonna wait 2 years for the knicks to attempt to sign a big name free agent. Not saying hes coming here but why would he want to play with the same old bums again next year.

And no this thread should not be closed.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

I still don't see Carmelo leaving the East and it's 3 contenders (CHI, MIA, IND) to come over to the west and our multiple contenders (HOU, OKC, LAC, SAS +/- POR, MEM, DAL, PHX)

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Ok I'll try to rephrase things. I didn't realize I typed sign and trade in my prior post. Clearly, there cannot be a sign and trade.

From the reports Melo is either exercising his early termination option or going to force a trade.

If the Knicks do not decide to trade him and simply let him opt out then they will be below the luxury tax threshold. This saves them a significant amount of money without Melo's contract and not becoming a repeat luxury tax offender.

If the Knicks were to make a Lin, Asik, TJones, Parsons, and picks for Melo deal then how much would the Knicks likely be paying in luxury tax penalties and total team salary?

From how I am looking at a trade like the one mentioned above with the Rockets would put the Knicks somewhere around $15 million above the current luxury tax level. That would make them owe about $43.75 million in luxury tax penalties. Further they would also be responsible for the salary of Lin and Asik above their cap numbers which would total about $13.25 million.

So if I am looking at it right then the Knicks would be paying around $143 million in team salary plus luxury tax penalties in 2014-15 with that random Rockets trade I suggested.

If they let Melo walk and acquire no other salary (other than their 2nd rounder and min free agents) then they would be around $70 million in salary in 2014-15.

If I am looking at things right then there is a major financial incentive for the Knicks to simply let Melo walk and rebuild after the 2014-15 season. Is it worth spending $70+ million for the Knicks to acquire T Jones, Parsons' (edit: would Parsons even have Bird rights?) and Asik's Bird rights, and some picks? I don't see how it is....but then again it is the Knicks.

And where did I mess up with my numbers? :p

#549 robbie380, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  10. meh

meh Member

Whatever number that made you believe the team that traded for Bargnani at $11mil/yr and hired a figurehead for $12mil/yr actually cares about the luxury tax. :)

11. meh

meh Member

Melo is both a superior 3 point shooter and a terrific finisher at the basket who draws a lot of fouls(more if he learns from Harden).

So Morey wants his cake and eat it too apparently.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

13. calcium

calcium Member

Paid $15M but counted as $8.3M on the cap.

I dont think PJackson would go for it.

He never thought much of PG plays anyways, from memory.

14. calcium

calcium Member

Cos from memory, that was widely accepted reason for the Knicks
    to not offer JLin any contract.

15. joesr

joesr Member

I would think one of Lin or Asik would go to another team via 3 team trade? That would take tax down a bit, then they would get a couple young'ns to develop and resign plus this late 1st's.

16. jtr

jtr Member

Melo is shooting well above his historical three point average and is, at best, an average finisher at the basket. He averages over 8 percentage points less around the rim than the Rockets team does overall.

http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.ht...plitsShooting&MeasureType=Base&PerMode=Totals
    http://stats.nba.com/teamStats.html...plitsShooting&MeasureType=Base&PerMode=Totals

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

^ you don't think he could thrive in the right kind of environment?

No coincidence that Monta Ellis is a totally different player in Dallas

18. jtr

jtr Member

You have a great point. And no, I do not know.

19. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Member

Woj saying that we have a legit shot has got me in full melo mode, I can't see how is says no to us at all.

20. try

try Member

Oh, what was completely wrong some hours ago is a great point now? Yeah. :rolleyes:
    Another example would be Dwyane Wade. His TS% was similar to Melo's the season before the Big 3 came together. Lesser role, better efficiency.